• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb In Jan. discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM

The latest issue of Goldmine has a two-page spread on Herb, talking about the Shout reissues. The first page features an interview with Herb, asking the usual questions, starting with The Lonely Bull (b-o-r-i-n-g!) Amazingly, the interviewer asked Herb why no Volume 2! Sorry for mentioning this again --- but Herb says he never liked the sound of Volume 2, thought it was too cold (I'm paraphrasing). But Herb goes on to say he may warm it up a bit in the future (so Volume 2 fans, take heart!) Herb also says that people are always asking him if he'll record again with the TJB, and Herb says that "Lost Treasures" is probably the closest we're going to get to a "new" TJB album.
The second page of the spread is partially devoted to an interview with Dolores Erickson (again, the usual Whipped Cream questions), and partially devoted to a glowing review of the first round of reissues.
The reason I'm paraphrasing and not giving more details is because my copy of Goldmine got thrown out last night with the last scraps of Christmas wrapping! Sorry 'bout that...
Happy holidays to all Cornerites!
---SteveM

I didn't know GOLDMINE was still around. Hopefully, this will spur on the availability of the re-issues and finally get us the rest of the TJB catalog.

Warm it up, Herb!!!!! While you're at it, warm up 'Warm' too!!!

This is heartening news, thank you. I think I'll go find that issue of Goldmine.

SteveM said:
The latest issue of Goldmine has a two-page spread on Herb, talking about the Shout reissues. The first page features an interview with Herb, asking the usual questions, starting with The Lonely Bull (b-o-r-i-n-g!) Amazingly, the interviewer asked Herb why no Volume 2! … Herb also says that people are always asking him if he'll record again with the TJB, and Herb says that "Lost Treasures" is probably the closest we're going to get to a "new" TJB album.

---SteveM

Was the interviewer Josh Kun, perhaps? And did anybody ever figure out why they got that guy for the liner notes?

Sounds like there's not Lost Treasures, Volume 2 in the making. Too bad. Not that Im greedy. I'd buy Herb playing The Brady Bunch Theme.

Hmm ... is Herb talking about VOL. 2 and WARM being reissued as a 2-for-one?
A bit of a stretch, perhaps, but it's one interpretation.
JB

whippedflea said:
I didn't know GOLDMINE was still around. Hopefully, this will spur on the availability of the re-issues and finally get us the rest of the TJB catalog.

Goldmine is indeed still around--our forum member and friend Tim Neely writes for Goldmine. :thumbsup:

Is there a link to this article or perhaps Tim could post the text here? (I would go out and hunt for it but this is rural Montana and I'm doubtful there is a copy of Goldmine within 600 miles of me.)

The correct location of this article is discoveries - Jan 2006. Herb's picture is also on the upper left corner of the front cover. Here are two much discussed topics:

Volume 2
Herb:"Well, that sound didn't quite work. I was using a studio I wasn't quite happy with; I thought the sound was a little metallic, and it didn't sound like the other records, although it was a gold record... We might go back into that second volume at some point, but I'd like to remix it, into a little warmer sound."

Bonus tracks There was nothing available from The Lonely Bull, as the original multi-track tapes were lost. As we have heard, there was discussion back and forth about including bonus tracks or maintaining the integrity on each album as originally released.
Herb: "But as it turns out now, I was talked into seeing if I could find some bonus tracks that were recorded around the same period to include in the albums. I was told that the public kind of expects that to happen when you re-release a product. So that's what we're doing now. That's why there's two extra ones on Whipped Cream, and as we go along I'll see what I have in that particular period with the other CDs we're going to release."

Herb Alpert said:
"So that's what we're doing now. That's why there's two extra ones on Whipped Cream, and as we go along I'll see what I have in that particular period with the other CDs we're going to release."

Well, that speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned and verifies that there WILL be more releases coming, as was originally reported here a year-and-a-half ago. So all of the pessimists can now chill and look forward to more releases with possible bonus material!

Capt. Bacardi
...in a "I told you so" mode, online... :tongue:

Captain Bacardi said:
Herb Alpert said:
"So that's what we're doing now. That's why there's two extra ones on Whipped Cream, and as we go along I'll see what I have in that particular period with the other CDs we're going to release."

Well, that speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned and verifies that there WILL be more releases coming, as was originally reported here a year-and-a-half ago. So all of the pessimists can now chill and look forward to more releases with possible bonus material!

Capt. Bacardi
...in a "I told you so" mode, online... :tongue:

I think you need to look up the word 'pessimist' in the dictionary.

Hoping something WILL be released is not pessimism. I also take issue with your calling those of us who want Vol 2 released, "whiners and complainers.' Oh, and how about locking down any thread that tried to discuss it? That's much closer to pessimism than anything any of us have said or done.

Just to clarify. The reason we lock down "new" VOLUME 2 threads is because the topic has been cussed, discussed and re-discussed and there's no point in going over all the old ground again when a person can just bump up the old thread and add comments there if necessary. We don't want to have a dozen threads all expressing the same sentiments, when one will do . It's just in the interest of neatness, is all.

It's a hot topic! I used the original thread when I had something to say about it, but I had to search many pages back to find it. Newer members, who by and large are the ones who started the other threads, may not know to go looking for that thread. They just want to discuss an album they love and the possible reasons why it was skipped. It's interesting to speculate about it and Warm and Brass Are Coming without fear of being squelched. Discussion is what message boards are about!

Dore Adler said:
It's interesting to speculate about it and Warm and Brass Are Coming without fear of being squelched. Discussion is what message boards are about!

Agreed, and that's why this Forum is here - to discuss that which we love. But we must also abide by the rules, and the rules are that multiple threads on the same topic are a waste of bandwidth, and make searching for information all the more harder. Therefore, these are to be discouraged, with the extras locked down to prevent further discussion in the wrong thread.

So yes, finding the "valid" VOLUME TWO thread may be a bit tough, but that's only because so many adament fans have violated the rules. Try looking at it from the moderators' point of view, and you'll see what we're up against.

Harry

Maybe we need a TJBFAQ to address these issues, eh?

Newer members, who by and large are the ones who started the other threads, may not know to go looking for that thread.

You are correct, but it's common "netiquette" to go reading for a while before posting a new topic in any forum -- that way a newbie is up to speed and won't ask questions that have been answered before.

Not a bad idea. Perhaps as a sticky at the top of the Forum....

Harry

Or just a sticky on the actual thread itself. Thanks for the responses. I was a little put out by the Captain's rather snarky post, but maybe it will have a happy outcome.

Captain Bacardi seems to be a bit of a lightening rod for criticism, and I’ve participated in that criticism of him myself. But, I have to speak out in support of him. I believe he takes his position as a moderator very seriously. He is here everyday, keeping an eye on things, answering questions, giving advice, and most notably he brings us breaking news on developments on the reissues. Don’t forget: It was the Captain that went to California to talk with Randy Badazz and got the straight story on the reissues.

The Captain is passionate about music and this forum, but not to the point of sugar coating his opinions. He tells it like he sees it and that on occasion pushes the wrong button with many of the contributors. I know, I once over reacted in response to bumping heads with him and felt compelled to leave. It is so easy to over react on a forum like this; words have more power to hurt and confuse when you don’t see the body language that goes with them.

I realize that this post is starting to ramble, so I’ll conclude by saying: if your button gets pushed, count to 10, cool down, think of all the good things that our moderators do here, and then write a reasoned, level headed post expressing your displeasure.

Just my opinion,
Mike

Dore Adler said:
I was a little put out by the Captain's rather snarky post, but maybe it will have a happy outcome.

Awww, looks like someone needs a group hug.

If you're gonna drag my name into things you could at least be a little more accurate with your accusations. You make it sound as if I was locking threads all the time, and I'm not. I may ignore all of the Volume 2 threads, but I'm not locking anything.

Then there's this whole "snarky" thing. Just what the hell is "snarky" anyway? I don't see it in my dictionary. I didn't even know it was possible to snark, although given time and opportunity I'm sure I could snark with the best of them (I came, I saw, I snarked???). The more I think about the word "snark", the more I'm starting to like it. It sounds as if it's the opposite of drama queen, which would suit me just fine. Maybe I can even come up with a Snarker Defense League, so that all snarkers - and there's bound to be other snarkers besides me - will have a support group. Maybe our own website should be www.snarker.com and it would be a dating site for snarkers and snarkettes alike! Yes, I'm now digging this word. Snark on! :laugh:

Capt. Bacardi

Snarky: (adjective) describes a witty mannerism, personality, or behavior that is a combination of sarcasm and cynicism. Usually accepted as a complimentary term. Snark is sometimes mistaken for a snotty or arrogant attitude.

"His snarky remarks had half the room on the floor laughing and the other half ready to walk out."

Snarky.sized.jpg

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom