• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb & Lani Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Recording legend Alpert now focusing on live performances

By JIM TRAGESER - Staff Writer
North County Times

Not many folks have enjoyed as broad a range of professional experience in the music industry as Herb Alpert has. The famed trumpeter, who topped the album charts repeatedly throughout the late '60s with iconic instrumental releases such as "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" and "Going Places," also scored a No. 1 hit single as a singer with "This Guy's in Love With You" in 1968.

But before he became a hit-making machine as a recording artist, Alpert (appearing at Anthology in San Diego with his wife, singer Lani Hall, Friday and Saturday) had already been on the charts as a songwriter ---- having written, with writing partner Lou Adler, a major hit for soul singer Sam Cooke called "Wonderful World."

Beyond all his success as a performer and songwriter, though, Alpert's greatest contributions may have come as a record company executive. The "A" in A&M Records, Alpert built A&M with partner Jerry Moss into one of the most successful independent labels in history before selling it to Polygram in 1990 for about $500 million.

So if anyone knows what to make of the seismic changes gripping the music business right now, it might be Alpert.

"It's hard to predict," he said of the music business by phone from his Los Angeles-area home last week. "Things are going so extreme now with technology.

"But there are some opportunities for adventurous musicians who know how to work their way around the Internet for exposure."

As for himself, Alpert hasn't recorded an album since 1999's "Colors" on his and Moss' second label, Almo Sounds. (He also contributed several new trumpet tracks to the 2006 hip-hop remix album "Whipped Cream & Other Delights Rewhipped.") And he doesn't plan on recording anything more than a live album of his and his wife's Brazilian-flavored jazz shows.

"At the moment, I'm just satisfied with my little jazz group. My wife and I have been working on this for a good time now. I'm having fun doing this."

For a man who's done just about everything there is to do in the music business except give piano lessons to 6-year-olds, it's interesting to note that Alpert never planned on a career in music.

Growing up in the 1940s and early '50s in Los Angeles, Alpert was surrounded by music from childhood. His mother played piano, he said, and his father the mandolin. His older sister and brother picked that up, so when he began playing trumpet in elementary school, it was really no surprise.

In high school, he used to play shows around town, earning about $4 an hour ---- good money in those days. But even at that, he wasn't thinking of making a living, he said.

"I never thought in those terms. When I was in high school, when TV was starting to get going in L.A., there was a teen battle show on local TV ---- our team won eight weeks in a row. From that point on, I got some visibility. Because of that show, we started playing bigger situations, started making a little bit more money. I never thought of it as a career for the rest of my life, but I was having a wonderful time.

"When I was drafted in the Army, I was in the Army band, but prior to being in the Sixth Army Band at the Presidio (in San Francisco) they sent me to band school at Fort Knox, Ky., and that was the first time I heard trumpet players from different parts of the country ---- guys who played faster, higher, louder. I remember thinking, 'This is going to be rough competition if I'm going to be a professional musician.'"

What he also took away from his time in the Army was the need for an individual sound if he wanted to make a living with his music.

"After I was discharged, things started to point in that direction where I was earning a living playing weekends. Then I started working for a record company. One thing led to another, and I did an experimental record one afternoon with Johnny 'Guitar' Watson --- he was playing organ, I played trumpet; we played 'Sweet Georgia Brown.' I thought it definitely had a sound to it."

At about the same time, he and Adler became friends with Cooke and co-wrote "Wonderful World."

"I learned many good lessons from Sam in terms of how to approach recordings, and things just started to fall in place after that," he said. "At the same time, I was practicing every day and working on my sound. I had two tape machines in my little studio at home. I would record the trumpet on one machine and overdub the horn as many times as I could, kind of aping the sound of Les Paul when I heard that record 'How High the Moon.'

"By doing that, I came up with this unique sound and that sound later translated to the (Alpert-led) Tijuana Brass."

Herb Alpert and Lani Hall
When: 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday
Where: Anthology, 1337 India St., San Diego
Tickets: $15-$63
Info: (619) 595-0300 or www.anthologysd.com

Web: www.herbalpert.com

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/03/19/entertainment/music/35545c86454740ac88257408005bf81e.txt

Thanks Steve! Looking forward to the two shows this weekend! Are you coming west for the shows? I wonder where they will record? Do you think they will wait for another Vibrato run or on this tour? My guess is Yoshi's. That place is impeccable -- it's a place where so many people have recorded live albums. But that's just my guess.

No, not able to go West, but we will be at the shows in New York & Boston. My wife wanted to go to DC too, but not possible.

Given the compact size of state of the art digital recording, I think a lot of artists record many of their shows. I'm just guessing, but think Herb will record many shows in order to have more choices for final selection for the CD. Besides the performance, there would be qualities such as acoustics of the club & audience response to consider.

One of the benefits of A&M Corner is a way to get the tour dates out early to all the Herb & Lani fans, so that plans can be made to attend. This is a great opportunity for those who just couldn't attend any of the six Vibrato shows last year. I'm sure that Herb & Lani will be very pleased to have the support of the many fans who are planning to be in the audience. Who knows - maybe you'll be there in one of the shows that are included on the CD! :D

Who made you God?
UNION-TRIBUNE
March 20, 2008

GRAB A TIJUANA TAXI AND HEAD TO ANTHOLOGY FOR A TASTE OF HERB
Herb Alpert may not be the coolest 72-year-old musician on the planet, but he comes close.

As devoted fans of “The Simpsons” can attest, at least two songs – “Tijuana Taxi” and “Spanish Flea” – by the trumpet-playing Alpert's band, The Tijuana Brass, have been featured on TV's longest-running prime-time cartoon.

As a staff writer for Keen Records in the late 1950s and early 1960s, this Los Angeles native co-wrote one of Sam Cooke's greatest hits, “Wonderful World.” His other writing credits range from “Baby Talk” for Jan & Dean and “Alley-Oop” for Dante and The Evergreens to “Little Girl” for The Beach Boys and “Bim Bam” for Sam Buetra & The Witnesses.

Alpert, who kicks off his first tour since 1988 tomorrow at Anthology in Little Italy, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006. Yet, although he has won eight Grammys, scored five No. 1 hits and sold 72 million albums worldwide, he was inducted in the non-performer category.

The reason?

In 1962, together with Jerry Moss, Alpert co-founded A&M Records, one of the most successful indie record labels ever. A&M was initially home to such middle-of-the-road acts as The Tijuana Brass and Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66, which featured Alpert's future wife, singer Lani Hall (who shares the stage with him tomorrow and Saturday at Anthology).

Starting in 1968, A&M quickly became one of the hippest labels around. After signing singer-organist Lee Michaels, A&M inked deals with The Flying Burrito Brothers, Sea Train and such hot young English acts as Joe Cocker, Free and Cat Stevens. A&M's diverse roster also featured Wes Montgomery, The Carpenters, Waylon Jennings, Supertramp, Peter Frampton and future North County resident Rita Coolidge.

In later years, the label became home to artists as varied as Joan Armatrading, Soul Asylum, Squeeze, UB40, John Hiatt, Al Green, Janet Jackson, Split Enz, Amy Grant, Les McCann and the recently reunited Police.

A&M was sold for a reported $500 million in 1989. The secret of its success?

“When we liked an artist, we recorded them. When we didn't, we passed,” Alpert once explained. “If we felt good about it, we tried to find a way to do it. We've used that process right from the get-go. ...”

If more labels were as enlightened, the record industry might not be tanking as badly now. So cheers to Herb Alpert, and here's hoping his Anthology sets include the immortal “Tijuana Sauerkraut.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20080320-9999-1w20varga.html

It's not a well-written article, for sure. After all, Herb's last tour was in '97, not '88. But this looks like one of those free paper things instead of a legit paper.

But I am excited about a live recording of Herb and Lani. It doesn't appear that they will be anywhere around Austin, or Texas for that matter. So it will be great to hear the live recording. And Steve nailed it by saying that they'll record everything and release the best performances. Best way to do it.

Capt. Bacardi

Union-Tribune is San Diego's "legit" newspaper. But it' is reporting like this that gives it the nickname "Union-Buffoon" in conservative talk radio circles...

This very paper had an article about Herb when he played "Street Scene" back in the early 90s (though he skipped San Diego on his "Second Wind" tour).

Anyway, Mrs Bill and I will be at tomorrow's show. Hopefully we'll meet some A&M Corner regulars and irregulars at the show.

--Mr Bill

Herb Alpert and Lani Hall Kick-Off National Tour March 21
FIRST FOUR SHOWS SELL-OUT IMMEDIATELY

LOS ANGELES, March 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Music icon Herb Alpert will embark on a rare tour together this spring with wife, singer, Lani Hall, performing an intimate night of American and Brasilian jazz accompanied by a trio of masterful musicians: Bill Cantos (piano), Michael Shapiro (drums) and Hussain Jiffrey (bass). Playing original arrangements, from a selection of American standards and Brasilian music, Alpert's warm, expressive trumpet lines compliment Hall's sensual, emotional voice, making this a unique and unforgettable evening for all.

The tour kicks off with sold-out shows in San Diego, CA with shows March 21 & 22 at premiere live music venue and supper club Anthology; and, then April 3-4 in Los Angeles at REDCAT, the Roy and Edna Disney/CalArts Theater in the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Eastern seaboard dates begin May 7 with a four-night run at New York City's famed East Village venue Joe's Pub at the Public Theater. The itinerary also includes shows at Washington DC's Blue's Alley (May 12-13) and Boston, MA's Scullers Jazz Club (May 15) before returning to the west coast for shows on May 20-21 at Seattle, WA's Jazz Alley. Also on the calendar are Northern California dates at the Napa Valley Opera House (May 23) and Yoshi's in San Francisco on May 24-25.

Legendary trumpet player as well as producer, band leader and A&M Records label co-founder Herb Alpert is 9X GRAMMY(R) winner with 14 platinum and 15 gold albums to his name. Adding his unique style and sound to classic American standards with the color of Brasilian music scattered throughout Alpert creates an exciting musical blend without ever closing the space for spontaneity. GRAMMY-winning vocalist Lani Hall first rose to international fame as lead singer for Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66. All of Hall's musical endeavors have highlighted her expertise as a powerful jazz/pop song stylist as well as a masterful interpreter.
In 2007, Alpert and Hall played a series of sold-out shows at Los Angeles nightclub Vibrato Grill Jazz, which inspired their upcoming 2008 tour.

TOUR DATES:
Date/s City Venue
March 21-22 Sold out San Diego, CA Anthology
April 3-4 Sold out Los Angeles, CA REDCAT
May 7-10* New York City, NY Joe's Pub (*2 shows on the 10th)
May 12-13 Washington, DC Blue's Alley
May 15 Boston, MA Scullers Jazz Club
May 20-21 Seattle, WA Jazz Alley
May 23 Napa, CA Napa Valley Opera House
May 24-25 San Francisco, CA Yoshi's

For more information, log on to http://www.herbalpert.com/

Mike--I'm only still a few miles from I-94. I'd swing out for that concert! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom