• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb Tops New York Radio Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM

For the past several years, WQCD, the smooth jazz station here in New York City, has asked listeners to vote for their all time favorite smooth jazz selections. The winner of the 2002 edition of "The 101 Smooth Jazz Songs of All Time" is.........(drum roll, fanfare)......Herb Alpert's "Rise!"

The announcer went on to say that Herb is always at or near the top of listener polls.

Congratulations, Herb!

---SteveM

Funny (or maybe not so much "funny" as it is "enlightening") how a song that's almost 25 years old can beat out just about anything that's current in $mooth Jazz! It surprises me that a lot of today's listeners even hear much Herb Alpert music anymore, what with all the Boney James and Rick Braun they play endlessly.

It's also refreshing to hear some of the older "contemporary" jazz, like a track or two from George Benson's Breezin', or even "Feels So Good" or "Give It All You Got" by Mangione. Heard a new take on an old song today, in fact: Natalie Cole covering the Michael Franks gem "Tell Me All About It" (which, IMHO, is from his best album Passionfruit, which I'd categorize as a great make-out album :wink: ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom