• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎷 AotW: CTI Herbie Mann - GLORY OF LOVE (SP-3003)

All the CTI releases

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 3 33.3%

Votes: 2 22.2%

Votes: 4 44.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Unreleased Tracks for A&M/CTi SP 3003:

Noodle Waddle -- Interesting title, which smacks of something he "may have" ended up recording upon his "return" to Atlantic; seems like something he'd do there...

The Bobo -- Self-written? Like, Ditto!

Groovin' -- The Rascals song, obviously! Atlantic wouldn't like that...! :laugh: --Though wouldn't it have been nice... :idea:

Joshua -- Another Original? Wonder who it would'a been "named after"...? :|

Land Of 1,000 Dances -- Seems as though George Benson thought of covering it and releasing it, long after Herbie's opportunity, though might'a given this album a good groove...

Love Potion # 9 -- Would easily be similar-sounding with "Unchain My Heart", though along side the version by Herb Alpert & TjB, it must'a been worth a shot...

Sonny Boy -- J.J. & Kai beat Mann to the punch here, too...

Greenfields -- "...Once there were greenfields...kissed by the sun...Once there were valleys...where rivers used to run..." --Wow, Channeling The Brothers Four...!! Someone, please release THIS one...!! :freak:

--Source: Noted Jazz critic, Doug Payne at his Sound Insights Jazz Artist Website, at...

www.dougpayne.com

:neutral:inkshield:​

For what it’s worth: Glory of Love was released on CD in Japan. I have it and the back of the digipack says, “Digitally Mastered at Van Gelder Studio, November 1988. Rudy Van Gelder, engineer. Digital Producer: John Snyder.”

Mike

Edited to add: I'm pretty sure that the CD is now out of print.

I really like this lp. None of the tunes are bad, but the best ones are....
Hold On Im Coming, Upa, Neguinho, Love Is Stronger Far Than We, and Oh, How I Want To Love You.

The first two are funky upbeat numbers with some good energy. "Love Is Stronger Far Than We" may be the best cut on the lp. A pretty and very underrecorded song, Mann and Ayers have good chemistry here. "Oh, How I Want To Love You" is a slow, mellow but very cool song that really gets into a groove. Mann has a terrific solo on this cut that really builds and cooks.

This is one of the better A&M/CTI offerings

One of the finest pop/jazz fusion recordings, I've always suggested this one to those who know nothing about jazz (or don't understand it), yet are intrigued. There's enough identifiable pop to keep them tuned in, yet on side 2 the group stretches out to flex a bit more soloing muscle with that slow burning latin groove piece.

Creed's first 4 LPs were a hot start at A&M -- too bad the momentum didn't continue at this level for his entire run.

I have a question... On some of these AOTW albums (like the recent Chris Montez) there's a poll to choose your favorite track, and on other AOTW albums (like this one) there is no poll. I was wondering how its decided which lps should include a poll, and which should not? Personally, I think when there is a poll it encourages more participation and discussion. Either way, the AOTW is a great idea.

Oh yeah, about this lp. Its one of my favorite jazz offerings on A&M. If we were choosing our favorite track, mine would be Love Is Stronger Far Than We. Its just a gorgeous ballad, and Mann is really soulful here. Then again he's very soulful on the funky Oh How I Want To Love You as well, another great cut. Hold On I'm Coming and Upa, Neguinho round out the top 4. There really aren't any bad selections. Its a strong release.

The last go around with the jazz AOTWs I did have a poll included, but it generated very few votes or responses, which is why I decided not to include them in this go around. It seems there's not a lot of people here who actually like jazz, even if it's on A&M. Too bad, as there's a lot of good stuff that was released on the label. :shrug:

Capt. Bacardi

Thanks for the reply. Thats the way its always been with jazz, it doesn't have the same following as pop. Never did. I always thought it was a sad commentary on the music scene in general, but it's probably more politically correct to say that's just the way it is.

1st A&M/CTi product I bought on the strength of it being Herbie Mann... Wonder what was going on at Atlantic to have briefly been here, though...

Anyway, a fairly decent effort & like the "bare bones" feel of it being more like "old school" jazz than the more modern stuff I was into at the time having discovered the genre...

Good set of songs & the arrangements & delivery are well-done, but along with the few interesting highlights, things do run a wee bit spotty in a few places...

Hence it still takes a mainstream instrument to liven a few things up like Eric Gale's guitar, particularly on "Oh, How I Want To Love You", the best in the bunch...

Dave

GLORY OF LOVE was released on CD in Japan years ago and is obviously long out of stock. I picked it up in the early 90’s while browsing through a record shop in Sasebo Japan. At the time I wasn’t a big Herbie Mann fan but the cover was so striking I bought it anyways. Well, I’m glad I did because it’s a nice album that I’ve listened to quite often.

Mike

'GLORY OF LOVE' was reissued on CD in 1988 in the A&M Jazz Series (0827) with a longbox. I found this, with several more, marked down to $5.99 apiece and grabbed a bunch.

JB

I'm still kicking myself for passing these up...even though I'm no big fan of these albums in general.

Back
Top Bottom