• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

I JUST FOUND AND BOUGHT KAREN"S SOLO ALBUM!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm WAAAY more excited than I should be, seeing that I've owned the digital download from Amazon for awhile now, but actually finding a honest to god copy of the ACTUAL CD, and in incredibly good shape to boot...it's like Christmas early!

I almost overlooked it. I made my monthly trip to my favorite vinyl shop (COSMIC DEBRIS) here in Harrisonburg,VA, and started looking through their newest arrivals as usual. Looking in the Carpenters bin,I found nothing exciting, except for a really good four dollar copy of the Tan album which I did snap up along with some other finds ( a great copy of Herb Alpert's "Whipped Cream" album, A near mint copy of EJ's "Tumbleweed Connection", McCartney's "Venus and Mars" etc,) Now, as my trend lately is collecting vinyl, I rarely ever look through the CD collection there,but as I was waiting for the dude ahead of me in line, I started to glance at them.

I started to browse,and I flipped through the Carpenters section,which consisted mainly of a copy of "Christmas Portrait", "Singles 1969-81" and "Passage" all of which I currently have. I skimmed along, and then I saw it. It was tucked behind a copy of Billy Joel's "52nd Street" interestingly enough, with the back cover facing out. I turned it over and there it was,"Karen Carpenter", and for $10 dollars to boot!

I must of came out of the shop with a huge grin on my face, because my girlfriend who I met just outside gave me the usual "I love you,but your such a dork" look she gives me almost daily, but hey, I am what I am!

Sorry for the rambling post, but I just had to share my find!!! :D

I can identify with your excitement - way back in 1996 (I think maybe a week or two after KC's solo album was released), I was in a CD store in Singapore, looking for something else, when I saw the name Karen Carpenter on the spine of the CD. My heart jumped (at that time in Singapore, there was no news about the impending release of this album, so it took me by surprise), and I pulled it out to take a look. It had a sticker on it in a matching light green color which said something like The Original Karen Carpenter Solo Sessions, and when I flipped it over, I noted that there were songs there (apart from those on Lovelines and From the Top) which I had never heard before. Needless to say, I forgot all about what I went to the store for, bought the CD and drove home hurriedly (but safely!) to give it a spin...and enjoyed it thoroughly. There is nothing like thinking - that's it, no more new songs from my fave singer - and then finding a 'treasure' like this. Hope one day we'll all once again get the pleasure of coming across previously unheard tracks :)

Calvin R Murty said:
I Hope one day we'll all once again get the pleasure of coming across previously unheard tracks :)

I hope so too. In spite of what Richard says, we know there are at least another album or two's worth of material in the vaults just waiting to be polished and released. At the very least alternate takes of the hits and album cuts.

Hopefully he will release some of the stuff down the line and give us something new to hear of our favorite duo!

Are you listening,Richard? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom