• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

I know this might be a long shot, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpertfan

is there any chance that any TJB/Herb Alpert Solo singles are or were ever on CD? Is the artwork the same as was on the original 45s? :D

There have been a lot of hits compilations, but officially there hasn't been a compilation of "single" mixes anywhere. There is a DJ set (I know Harry has one), but I don't recall if it had the single versions or not.

That would be an ultimate completist CD to have! :D One problem with compiling it is that A&M's singles were stored on large master reels with other artists. Researching and locating all of these mixes would be tedious...and I don't know if Herb Alpert has control over those or not.

A&M released "This Guy's in Love With You" as a CD single in 1996.
It came out after it was mentioned on TV's "Melrose Place". It is listed at Amazon as an out of stock item, and I for one have never seen it offered on Ebay.

Steven J. Gross said:
A&M released "This Guy's in Love With You" as a CD single in 1996.
It came out after it was mentioned on TV's "Melrose Place". It is listed at Amazon as an out of stock item, and I for one have never seen it offered on Ebay.

I have this single CD. It has both "This Guy's In Love With You" and the single version of "Rise". On the cover it has a "Digital Memories" logo, and the photo is of a bunch of 45s hanging on a clothesline under a tree with the A&M logo all over it. The catalog number is 31458 14142.

Capt. Bacardi

Steven J. Gross said:
I think it is a rare one, Captain B!
How does it sound? (any reworking on it?)

It wasn't all that rare at the time. There were a few A&M artists that had these CD singles. I've seen these for the Carpenters, Styx, Police. As far as the sound goes, I didn't notice anything special or different.

Capt. Bacardi

They were rather plentiful back in the '90s. I recall seeing them in the CD Singles racks of record stores like Sam Goody and The Wall at the time, but never felt like spending the few dollars to pick them up since I already had them on the albums. Those dollars, I felt at the time, were better allocated towards something I DIDN'T have. I suppose I regret now having not picked them up, but really, they're just more collectables.

Harry
NP: near total silence

I would love for a future TJB compilation to contain single mixes of some of the Brass hits. "Zorba The Greek", "Tijuana Taxi", "A Taste Of Honey" and "To Wait For Love" all had different mixes for the 45s. I'd like to have "Third Man Theme" and "Work Song" in mono too. :)

daveK said:
I would love for a future TJB compilation to contain single mixes of some of the Brass hits. "Zorba The Greek", "Tijuana Taxi", "A Taste Of Honey" and "To Wait For Love" all had different mixes for the 45s. I'd like to have "Third Man Theme" and "Work Song" in mono too. :)

I'd love for someone to explain to me in detail what's different about the "A Taste Of Honey" 45 version. I've never noticed anything different, but maybe I'm not listening in the right places, or I just don't have the right recording.

Seems to me I've also heard that there's something different about the "Spanish Flea" 45 too. (Yes?/No?)

Harry
...wondering, online...

I have many of the TJB singles, but I don't know if I have "Taste of Honey". Maybe next time I'm out, I'll pick up a copy.

Do 3" singles count? I have one with 3 songs:
1. Bittersweet Samba
2. The Maltese melody
3. Tijuana Taxi

I bought several years ago.

Mike Calhoun

Was that a Japanese 3" single? I remember "Bittersweet Samba" was a hit over there.

The difference between the two versions of "Taste Of Honey" is so slight, it may not have even been worth mentioning. It just amounts to fewer notes played during the last "verse" of the song. Not being a musician, I'm probably not able to explain it very well. Someone else can probably say what I'm trying to say and make more sense. I always thought the bass drum sounded better on that version too. It seemed to have a little more echo.
Incidentally, I guess the differences between the 45 versions and LP versions of most of these songs, ("Zorba" not included) is just the difference between the mono and stereo versions, because the mono LPs contain the same mixes as the 45s. I don't know about "To Wait For Love"...was "Warm" even available in a mono version?
It seems like the percussion is more evident during the guitar solo in "Spanish Flea" on the mono single version. I prefer the mono version of "Flea" as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom