I miss the AOTW pic on the homepage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. I think it got 'broken' back when the Holiday Forum was activated.

Harry
NP: radio at work

It's offline indefinitely...it's a server upgrade issue, and the database I was using for AOTW data wasn't compatible with the new OS version (and 'ndbm' version, for those who know what it is). I can't get to it until I get the paying jobs out of the way first...and I'm still waiting to hear from our host's support staff with a definite answer on why ndbm isn't working as it should.

For once, it broke, and *I* had nothing to do with it. :laugh:

Michael Hagerty said:
No, but it looks like Plankton might have.....
:wink:
Or maybe Kryptonite?

But as for the AOTW series itself: I suppose, when y'all get around to tackling the "3500" series (after finishing the examinations of the 19000 series releases), you'd start off with SP-3504, Booker T. & Priscilla, being as the first three catalogue numbers (3501-3503) were either released in, or in the case of Carpenters intended for, the 4100 series, and thus were AOTW'd in the past . . .

Well, That's something we should discuss. As many LPs were moved from series to series (with some having three SP#s in their lifetime (maybe four?)) we are going to get repeats from time to time.

We can go one of three ways IMO.

1- Just treat it like a new AOTW Pros: It gives an opportunity for newcomers to provide fresh views and opinions. Cons: Most of us have seen this and talked about it before ad infinitim.

2-Reopen the old thread Pros: With the proper "reopening post" it explains what was going on with A&M's "numerolgy." It saves rehashing the old info. Cons It may confuse Kucinich supporters and those with IQs under 90.

3-Skip them completely Pros: Avoids some confusion (see Cons) and gets us to and through new AOTWs more quickly. Cons: skipping numbers without explanation will confuse more than just the IQ-under-90 crowd, resulting in "Hey! Why'd you skip SPXXXX???" questions...

I opt for #2, myself. That's my thought. Anyone else.

--Mr Bill

PS: Here's the images for 3501-3503 from the AOTW file, btw, and yess, all are reissues of other numbers (4290, 4289 - likely never actually released as such - and 4281 - with a new cover design):
sp3501.jpg
sp3502.jpg
sp3503.jpg

Hey, I'll go for #2! I'm sure we know where we left off on the 3000-Series, right? And are we done with the 19000's?

We have a 4000-Series going on now. Or at least the last time I looked, anyway.

Dave

...who's sure His IQ is "over 90"! :laugh: Hey...What were we talking about, anyway?! :confused: :winkgrin:

Far as I figured, the first AOTW was going to stay in the 4000's. The second AOTW, which was the A&M/CTi jazz branch, moved over temporarily to the 19000 series so we could cover that in the matter of several weeks. Plans were to start on the Horizon series, which would get some action back in the "jazz" area again. Not many folks think of A&M and jazz, which is why the second AOTW as Horizon (until it runs out) might be good for public awareness if nothing else.

Maybe we need a poll?

Rudy said:
Far as I figured, the first AOTW was going to stay in the 4000's. The second AOTW, which was the A&M/CTi jazz branch, moved over temporarily to the 19000 series so we could cover that in the matter of several weeks. Plans were to start on the Horizon series, which would get some action back in the "jazz" area again. Not many folks think of A&M and jazz, which is why the second AOTW as Horizon (until it runs out) might be good for public awareness if nothing else.

Maybe we need a poll?
Given that, then perhaps we can examine the 3500 series after the Horizon series has run its course in the AOTW section. But it was an idea . . .

Will: I was thinking that also. There may be another brief series we could feature between them, but the 3500 series is almost on a parallel tangent to the 4100 series (pop music on A&M), and it will get overlooked if we don't nail it. Horizon also has a relatively small number of releases, so it would not be a big stretch until we'd be looking at 3500's. I'm also resisting the temptation to start a third AOTW, although it would keep our second AOTW free for another shorter AOTW series after Horizon. Would it be information overload if we had that many AOTWs?

I say keep it to two AOTWs. Other short runs we could do are the 125xx series (three months worth of AOTWs) and I think we should treat all 6xxx as a single AOTW category, even though they comprise several different series rarely ranging beyond 10 records in each...

Theortetically we should go to the 36xx series after 4426 and then back to 4500 once we pass 3667, as the 36xx series temporarily replaced the 4100 line in the mid 70s... That is (was?) A&M's main series for the entire independent history.

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Theortetically we should go to the 36xx series after 4426 and then back to 4500 once we pass 3667, as the 36xx series temporarily replaced the 4100 line in the mid 70s... That is (was?) A&M's main series for the entire independent history.

--Mr Bill

That sounds good also. As long as the numerologists among us can keep track of it. :wink: If that's a good place to break, I think that makes good sense.

Let's do it that way then. Not all 44xx's got releases as such -- many were 36xx only, as I indicate in the image test thread. Myself or LPJim will be able to make sure we don't post a non-existent SP# as AOTW. We'll only go through the ones that got released, picking them up in the released SP# in the 36xx series as we get there. I think Fairport Convention's Nine was the only one to have both numbers. Hoyt Axton's Life Machine had both numbers, but a different cover for each version, so it should be an odd one to post as AOTW. Maybe not though. It could be ideal as both the last 44xx (as 4422) and first 36xx), after which we pick up with 3601 and go on. We should also consider skipping 3666 and 3667 (Joe Jackson 2x10" Look Sharp and Squeeze Six Squeeze Songs Crammed Into One Ten Inch Record respectively). I own both, but have yet to see the latter with that SP# -- I suspect it may have been it's original assigned # but it was released as SP3414...

--Mr Bill

Reminds me...was there a different SP# for the 2-10" version of the Police album Reggatta de Blanc? I keep kicking myself for not buying it when it was new. I could not justify buying music I already had. I did get the Joe Jackson 2-10" set, but I didn't go for the all-45RPM-single version of I'm The Man.

Michael Hagerty said:
No, but it looks like Plankton might have.....
:wink:

---Michael Hagerty

That would have made it an evil, college-educated plan then. :laugh:

Got 'em all. I'll post the 2x10" Regatta SP# after I get home today. The 5x7" Jackson was SP18000 -- the only thing in that series, though one can presume the post-Polygram set If I Were A Carpenter would likely have been SP18001 if A&M were still an independent label...

--Mr Bill

Okay, Regatta de Blanc was SP4792 in its 12" form and SP 3713 in the double 10" form..

--Mr Bill

sp4792.jpg
sp3713.jpg

And I will make 10" AOTW scan 150x150 to keep their size ratio relative to 12"... And SP18000 will be 105x105...

--Mr Bill

Here are some albums with both 3600 & 4400 series numbers:

Fairport Convention NINE (3603/ *4407)
Status Quo HELLO (3615/ 4408) --- my home '4408' is Canadian
Hookfoot ROARING (3608/ *4409)
Lumumba LUMUMBA (3610/ *4414)
Tim Weisberg DREAMSPEAKER (*4410/3045)
Hoyt Axton LIFE MACHINE (3604/ 4422)
--- I've never seen 4422

Humble Pie THUNDERBOX 3611/ 4424 --- I only have 3611 and have never seen 4424
Gallagher & Lyle SEEDS (3605/ *4425)
Hudson-Ford NICKELODEON (3616/ *4426)

*not sure this configuration got released.

I own Bacharach's album as both SPX 4290 and 3501 as well as Columbier's SPX 4281 and 3503, which vouches for their existence, but have never seen a Carpenters' 4289.
JB

LPJim said:
Here are some albums with both 3600 & 4400 series numbers:

Fairport Convention NINE (3603/ *4407)
Status Quo HELLO (3615/ 4408) --- my home '4408' is Canadian
Hookfoot ROARING (3608/ *4409)
Lumumba LUMUMBA (3610/ *4414)
Tim Weisberg DREAMSPEAKER (*4410/3045)
Hoyt Axton LIFE MACHINE (3604/ 4422)
--- I've never seen 4422

Humble Pie THUNDERBOX 3611/ 4424 --- I only have 3611 and have never seen 4424
Gallagher & Lyle SEEDS (3605/ *4425)
Hudson-Ford NICKELODEON (3616/ *4426)

*not sure this configuration got released.

I own Bacharach's album as both SPX 4290 and 3501 as well as Columbier's SPX 4281 and 3503, which vouches for their existence, but have never seen a Carpenters' 4289.
JB

Hmmm...I'm not sure what # my LIFE MACHINE was. I've seen it issued with two different covers--one with the "Life Machine" on it, and a rare one with just a picture of Hoyt on the cover, like the one in the inner-sleeve. Maybe THAT one was 4422.

Guess I had the 3604 copy--I needed it briefly to hear the "horn charts" on "Good Lookin' Child" and 'cause I like James Burton's guitar solo on "That's All Right, Mama" and his rare use of the wah-wah pedal on "Telephone Booth", which features Flo & Eddie, as well.

Dave

Dave said:
Hmmm...I'm not sure what # my LIFE MACHINE was. I've seen it issued with two different covers--one with the "Life Machine" on it, and a rare one with just a picture of Hoyt on the cover, like the one in the inner-sleeve. Maybe THAT one was 4422.

4422 is the one with the machine on the cover. It is the rarer of the two -- as Axton was gaining notoriety, mainly due to Three Dog Night's cover of "Joy To The World" (aka to nitwits as "Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog") and Hoyt's own move up the country charts. So A&M reissued it with a different cover as 3604, which was now the "main line" for LP issues. Fortunately for us collectors with penchants for numbers they returned to the 41xx series a short time later and remained with it to SP5403 at which point the suits at Polygram inflicted their own #ing system.

Regarding LPJim's info:
3603/4407 -- it exists both ways
3615/4408 -- 4408 was Canada only. 3615 in US (Thanks to a thorough SQ site I found)
3611/4424 exists only as 3611
All others he indicates were only issued in the UNasterisked form as far as my research has gone...

--Mr Bill

I miss the AOTW picture on the front page as well, and I've noticed relatively less participation in discussions. There wasn't even much activity last week when one of Herb's own albums was up (SP 4314).

Meanwhile, I've become one of Geocities' page builders' dissatisfied customers. Many who started free sites are having trouble opening them up for editing. I've got loads of material I'd like to add, as well as old stuff to condense or delete, and it's frustrating. There were several messages about "technical problems" with page builder on their discussion forum.

The cynic in me thinks there's no technical problem. They're making free access more difficult in order to strong-arm their clientele into subscribing to their premium (monthly charge) programs. Sneaky little sh**s.
I've vented my frustrations, so maybe I'll start to feel better.
JB

NP: Tom Petty "The Last D.J" -- '... they want you to pay for what you used to get for free' -

Geocities, a couple of years ago, even stopped the ability to link to images from an outside website, in order to save bandwidth. So anyone who sells on Ebay and wants to host their pictures on Geocities is out of luck. They also limit the amount of data transfer per hour, so if you had a lot of large images and someone visited them at, say, Noon and drove your bandwidth usage to the limit, Geocities shuts the site off until the next hour.

AOL does have some site builder tools on their site, and the web space is free. (Wendell's was on AOL.) If it's just pictures with captions, the new Gallery I'm working on handles those easily too. I figure for the small amount you're hosting (as opposed to someone who has dozens of pages and/or hundreds of pictures), there's no real need to have to pay for hosting if you can avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom