• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

If I Had You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Thought that perhaps it was time to become a full-fledged member of this wonderful forum of discussion about Karen and Richard. I salute all of you for being here. Yay for the Carpenter's ! I'm not new here but my member name is.

Hi ! I'm John in Phoenix.

This is a great thread here and I must admit that the first time I saw the thread heading I kind of glossed over the content. I promise you that won't ever happen again here after reading the marvelous insights on this particular discussion of the Carpenter's. You folks have some amazing information about the C's recording technique that has always fascinated me. For years I have tried to imagine in my mind what was going on in the mixing booth as Karen and Rich put together an album. I now have a better image in my mind of that process only because of your wonderful responses here.

8-16-24-48-72 track boards were nothing more than a recording term that I saw on a frequent basis, but it never made much sense to me. Until now.

Engineer and Chris - you two have given all of us quite an education....and I for one want to thank you for your technical expertise and patience in explaining not only the text book knowledge of the recording process, but also your percieved understanding of the actual nuance that allows for the final mixdown to give us the ear candy that we all crave. Hence: The Carpenter's sound and how it may have been concieved. Thank you both for sharing your knowledge with all of us. I will always appreciate what I have learned here from both of you.

As for the possible outtakes of Karens performances in the studio, I too have imagined in my own mind what Richard 'COULD' be doing in the studio with some of Karen's alternate takes/tracks to create a new version of some of the old familiar C's tunes. Many times I have pondered this as I easily believe many of you here on this site have done yourselves. Kinda nifty to imagine the possibilities, huh?

I'm going to end here before I turn this into a longwinded addition to a wonderful thread of all our thoughts. Here's to Richard's future in the studio with what is left of Karen on audio tape folks. *clinks glasses*

You folks are the best.

As I mentioned in a previous post,
I am really getting into the home
recording process. At 25$ an hour
I better get into the groove!
I am utilizing Cubase and Calkwalk
but It is still very complex but
patience is the word of the day.
I find the multitrackig on Karens
solo album to be mind bogolling!!
I have written Phil Ramone to see
if he would let me in on how the
tracks were arranged but he is more
than likely to busy to go into the
complexities of 72 ch system.
Like others of you have mentioed,
it would be so cool to have Richard
publish a book on the various techniques he used during there
recording sessions.
Personally I find the older recordings to have more depth then
super digititized recordings.
JIM

I agree with the above statement. Analog recordings tend to be far warmer - which suits Karen's voice better. I enjoy hearing her on LP more than I do on CD. Digital technology tends to be quite cold. You can "warm" it up using various preamps but, by and large, since digital sound really isn't "sound" at all (merely a numerical representation), you can only make it so warm.

Ed

The other day I was re-organizing, re-packaging and upgrading my memorabilia storage methods. Along the way I unearthed a cassette single release of IF I HAD YOU. This was one of a few surprises. Does anyone else have this on CD maybe? Also I found Karen's funeral notice that the Downey F/C sent out. It's one of those things you're given as you enter the service. It is very beautiful. Elegant actually. Enclosed was the pic of MIA's inner sleeve. I'm curious how many of you were shocked/overwhelmed when Mr. Postman delivered that ledda? On to a pleasant unveiling I found the pen that K&R singed my autographs with.

I'm wondering if any of you are similarly attached to your articles? From 1970 fwd I've never met another CarpenterS collector or hobbyist quite like myself. Here at the Forum is the only venue where I've even remotely found the like minded. Some people collect odd things I know. Still I wonder if I'm playing solitaire?

Jeff

Oh boy where do I start, you have company. I keep everything. The only thing I regret not having at this point is a huge life size totally hot display of ONJ pose 6 feet high.

I have more of a collection of ONJ than Carpenters as I was not part of the fan club something I regret now especially after having witnessed firsthand at the great stuff the club released & I wish I had that stuff.

Olivia had a shop called Koala Blue, a milk bar specializing in all things Aussie. A most famous one on Melrose Ave, I visited there in 1984, still have a watch I bought along with a container that I drank my very own aussie shake at the milk bar. I have napkins, plastic bags, t-shirts, sweatshirts (vacuum sealed) from that shop. I have Grease memoribilia from 1978 and numerous posters some out some rolled away, my most recent purchase from a record dealer was a huge poster 42 x 42 of ONJ from the album cover of "Making a Good Thing Better" in mint condition (Still don't know how to display this, got any ideas?) No tacks, no pins, no tape from this kid.

My most special items from Carpenters are those that adorn my music room, ones that I can enjoy every day, VOTH, As Time Goes By, Gold 35th Anniv & last & most special of all.....the Karen Carpenter Solo Sessions Glamour Shot in purple chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom