"Popcorn Philosopher" Dives Into "A Song for You" Album

JohnFB

She was born to belong to the lines of a song...
Well, at first glance it's somewhat hard to take this young lady very seriously, with her long pink hair and exaggerated eye makeup and cute little bunny ears - but after a little nonsense at the beginning, at about the minute and a half mark she starts into a lengthy and sincere discussion about the "A Song for You" album, and it's songs, and the circumstances in their lives while they were recording it, and you get the feeling that she not only loves their work but is very knowledgable about them and their career.

At the end she says that "Road Ode" is her favorite cut from the album, and while mine is the title track, I agree with her that it's uniquely appealing (although, as I've said elsewhere, it could have been even better with a 3rd verse, another repeat of that dynamic chorus and a longer instrumental flute break in the mid section).

Anyway, there's not much that's new here but it is a different kind of entertaining recap. Here's the Popcorn Philosopher:

The "Bless the Beasts and the Children" story was excellent and I like the photo of Karen on stage in front of the huge outdoor crowd which I'm guessing was the Ohio State Fair.

I don't think the whole, or any part, the, album needs to be re-evaluated. It stands the test of time. It was loved then and loved now and loved in between.

Gen X, Y & Z don't need to tell "Boomers" they found hidden treasure.

You know you're getting old when none of the Jeopardy contestants this week knew the picture they were looking at was Carol Burnett. (Much younger Carol Burnett who turned 90 this week.)

The "Bless the Beasts and the Children" story was excellent and I like the photo of Karen on stage in front of the huge outdoor crowd which I'm guessing was the Ohio State Fair.
Yes, that was an interesting story - never heard those details before...

Well, it's nice to see some of them discovering and enjoying the music of the 70s in general, and Carpenters in particular - one can hardly blame them, given the miserable state of modern music...
Yes. Discover. The word "re-evaluate" annoys me. As if the album was ever considered less than great.

Yes. Discover. The word "re-evaluate" annoys me. As if the album was ever considered less than great.

You're getting hung up on a word. A LOT of time has passed so getting a segment of the population to listen to a record they likely don't even know exists isn't a bad thing. This is how music lasts. Worse would be if no one said anything and allowed it to entirely fade into obscurity.

Ed

Well, it's nice to see some of them discovering and enjoying the music of the 70s in general, and Carpenters in particular - one can hardly blame them, given the miserable state of modern music...

I disagree that modern music is the hopeless cesspool you think it is but I'm with you on giving kudos for her being willing to let the older stuff in. I've noticed that the younger generation seems to be more accepting of older material but it doesn't go the other way. There's some great current music out there. Jacob Collier, for one, did an AMAZING cover of "They Long to Be Close to You." HIGHLY recommended. He's literally reinventing harmony. There are many more examples I could cite.

Ed

I disagree that modern music is the hopeless cesspool you think it is but I'm with you on giving kudos for her being willing to let the older stuff in. I've noticed that the younger generation seems to be more accepting of older material but it doesn't go the other way. There's some great current music out there. Jacob Collier, for one, did an AMAZING cover of "They Long to Be Close to You." HIGHLY recommended. He's literally reinventing harmony. There are many more examples I could cite.

Ed
I guess you might br correct about there being some good artists/music out there today - my statement does seem to be sweeping too wide and a tad too harsh - it's just hard to find them - even Country has become too glamorized and second rate any more though after being the only decent pop music for some time - I described this as a "miserable state" and you called it a "hopeless cesspool" - I'm not sure these are equivalent, and if not, which one is worse :)

I've noticed that the younger generation seems to be more accepting of older material but it doesn't go the other way.

It's amazing how many "classic artists" are still putting out music. If you have a favorite band or singer (besides Carpenters), just search for them in your favorite music source and you might be surprised at how much music they're released since their "heyday." If you don't turn up anything, try searching the lead singer's name.

I guess you might br correct about there being some good artists/music out there today - my statement does seem to be sweeping too wide and a tad too harsh - it's just hard to find them - even Country has become too glamorized and second rate any more though after being the only decent pop music for some time - I described this as a "miserable state" and you called it a "hopeless cesspool" - I'm not sure these are equivalent, and if not, which one is worse :)

I think that's largely because radio, the major way we've discovered music for decades, is dead. It's become the domain of waiting rooms. The term "sending a song to radio" has become utterly meaningless. Now, discovering new music takes more work. The avenues are more plentiful and the choices far broader but one has to work at it a bit to find the new stuff. This is good in that people aren't really making the choices for us but it's bad in that the musical landscape is just so vast that separating the wheat from the chaff has become more difficult. YouTube has become an invaluable resource for me. That's how I found Jacob Collier and numerous others. Instagram has been helpful too. I don't use the streamers because the artists simply aren't getting paid by them. I don't like the idea of rewarding bad behavior. LOL!

I agree with Country. It's basically not even really Country anymore. It's entirely lost its identity. The lyrics and the twang with which they're sung will give away that it's Country but the music generally doesn't; it just sounds like Pop music to me.

Ed

I think that's largely because radio, the major way we've discovered music for decades, is dead. It's become the domain of waiting rooms. The term "sending a song to radio" has become utterly meaningless...

Ed
"the domain of waiting rooms." :laugh:

Well, it was for a long while, but now even my supermarket & businesses like Costco & the local car repair garage are streaming their music...I tuned in a Country station the other day and it all seems so "from another Era", and so sad...

I've discovered a few really good artists on YT, but I've re-discovered a whole lot more, like Boz Scaggs (Harry's favorite!), The Little River Band, the Doobie Bros., etc.

Back
Top Bottom