What Carpenters' albums/songs are almost perfect to you if it weren't for small details?

Most of those sound effects throughout the song are like nails down a blackboard to me. I don’t think I’ve listened to that song more than half a dozen times in my 33 years of Carpenters fandom. I disliked it from first hear.
The MSWS outro reminds me of warmup in band

I have always been of the opinion that the Carpenters (and A & M) missed a big chance to have 3 moderately big hits from the "Offering" album, instead of just one mediocre hit. What they should have done was release the simple, bouncy, upbeat, song of the times "Don't Be Afraid" as the first single followed by the more serious and complex and lovely "All of My Life" as the second single. Only then should "Ticket to Ride" have been released as the 3rd single, but only a shortened version with most of the semi-Classical piano intro eliminated. This intro is creative and brilliantly leads into the song, but it is too long and pretty much out of place on Pop/Rock radio catering to mostly teenyboopers at that time, stylistically speaking. I love this intro, but it should have been confined to the album version.

One other change I would make to "Offering" - replace Richard's weird version of "Get Together" with Karen's version from "Your Navy Presents".

I have always been of the opinion that the Carpenters (and A & M) missed a big chance to have 3 moderately big hits from the "Offering" album, instead of just one mediocre hit. What they should have done was release the simple, bouncy, upbeat, song of the times "Don't Be Afraid" as the first single followed by the more serious and complex and lovely "All of My Life" as the second single. Only then should "Ticket to Ride" have been released as the 3rd single, but only a shortened version with most of the semi-Classical piano intro eliminated. This intro is creative and brilliantly leads into the song, but it is too long and pretty much out of place on Pop/Rock radio catering to mostly teenyboopers at that time, stylistically speaking. I love this intro, but it should have been confined to the album version.

One other change I would make to "Offering" - replace Richard's weird version of "Get Together" with Karen's version from "Your Navy Presents".

I agree. Radio is all about "getting to the point" and "Ticket..." definitely does not do that. The intro very much meanders a bit and could stand to be cut down. I'm fine with it on the record but for radio, it definitely couldn't have hurt. They sounded "old" right of the gate and this is yet another one saved by Karen's vocal. The other two would have been better choices to begin. Save the dirge for the third single.

I also agree that Richard's lead on "Get Together" is incredibly strange. No clue why he thought a tremolo effect was a good idea. It makes little sense in that context. It's just weird for the sake of being weird.

Ed

It *was* cut down for the single.
I heard that before, but forgot - good catch Harry. I still maintain however that it should have been the 3rd single off "Offering" - or even better still the re-recorded version later off the "Singles" album.

I had always thought that Karen did it to sound more country
I have seen several live versions of TOTW where she does a "yeehah" as the song begins. It just seems weird...like she is mocking the country/pedal steel feel of the intro. Did she not like the song, or am I just over-sensitive as a Midwesterner? :wink:

I have seen several live versions of TOTW where she does a "yeehah" as the song begins. It just seems weird...like she is mocking the country/pedal steel feel of the intro. Did she not like the song, or am I just over-sensitive as a Midwesterner? :wink:
I definitely don’t think Karen was mocking the song or arrangement, or certain areas or lifestyles of America. I believe that she was super-proud of the song. I think that the ‘Yee-har!’ was Karen’s idea of getting the audience excited and drawn in and hosting a good-time feel. This also tied in with the other goofy noises that her band mates made, on stage.

I just love all of Horizon and I Can Dream Can’t I? But I do wish the background vocals there were all KC and RC. Still the best sounding recording ever.

I just love all of Horizon and I Can Dream Can’t I?

Shall I tell you the best part of that song that gives me goosebumps right through my body every time I hear it? The first time Karen sings the line “I’m aware, that my heart is a sad affair”, compared to the second time she sings it. That second time, I don’t know…something about the chord, the strings and the piano twist. It’s just sublime. Gets me every time.

I just love all of Horizon and I Can Dream Can’t I? But I do wish the background vocals there were all KC and RC. Still the best sounding recording ever.
For some reason that song sounds like a jazz Christmas standard to me, both with parts of the arrangement and the way Karen sings it. I do also enjoy that whole tune, though.

For some reason that song sounds like a jazz Christmas standard to me, both with parts of the arrangement and the way Karen sings it. I do also enjoy that whole tune, though.
I guess it's no coincidence that the song's arranger is none other than the late Billy May, who also arranged a number of the tracks on Christmas Portrait. Closest comparison in terms of arrangement and the way he conducted the orchestra would have to be "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (both of which Richard felt Billy conducted too slow).

Last edited:
Aren't the background vocals at the end RC & KC? The repeat of the 1st verse is by a choral group (Tom Bahler?) and to my ear is very lovely (especially on the lines "For dreams are just like wine, and I am drunk with mine") - Karen's vocal is, as always, flawless and riveting - I've always been under the impression that the recording could have been improved somewhat with (1) a very slight increase in tempo, and (2) the use of a string orchestra for the interlude (or maybe that unique sound that Glenn Miller used so effectively consisting of 4 saxophones supplemented by a sweet clarinet) instead of the rather dull, dragging trombone sound.

Of the other versions out there the one by Joni James is really nice, and Patty Andrews gives us an appealing vocal on the original Andrews Sisters version.

I guess it's no coincidence that the song's arranger is none other than the late Billy May, who also arranged a number of the tracks on Christmas Portrait. Closest comparison in terms of arrangement and the way he conducted the orchestra would have to be "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (both of which Richard felt Billy conducted too slow).
Richard was correct about I CAN DREAM...being a tad too slow (as I suggest above) but not about HYAMLC, which is perfect in every way, including, of course, Karen's absolutely gorgeous vocal!

One of Billy May's greatest accomplishments as an arranger was his work on Frank Sinatra's swinging late 50s album "Come Dance With Me" which won The Album of the Year award...

Aren't the background vocals at the end RC & KC? The repeat of the 1st verse is by a choral group (Tom Bahler?) and to my ear is very lovely (especially on the lines "For dreams are just like wine, and I am drunk with mine")
Karen and Richard didn't sing any of the backing vocals on this track. The four parts were sung by studio vocalists Gene Merlino, Jerry Whitman, Sue Allen and Allan Davies.

This arrangement really calls for background vocals like this. I think they sound great. The typical Karen/Richard multitracked thing wouldn't have worked with this arrangement. Kudos to Richard for knowing that and letting others do it. Further kudos for letting the incredible Billy May handle the arrangement. He was absolutely the man for the job. I also think the tempo is just fine.

Ed

I just love all of Horizon and I Can Dream Can’t I? But I do wish the background vocals there were all KC and RC. Still the best sounding recording ever
I wish there were 2 versions. I like the existing version, but would also love a version with only K&R.

I CAN DREAM... was one of the best of a series of songs composed in the 30s & 40s by the team of Irving Kahal (lyrics) and Sammy Fain (music) - one of their other songs of very special note (so to speak) was I'LL BE SEEING YOU, generally considered one of the most beautiful songs ever composed (the ending verse of which is sung by Ella in her celebrated duet with Karen).

As a lyricist Kahal is typically ranked in that same elevated class with Lorenzo Hart, Ira Gershwin, Oscar Hammerstein II, Frank Loesser, and maybe the best of them all, Cole Porter. He is in the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

... Further kudos for letting the incredible Billy May handle the arrangement. He was absolutely the man for the job. I also think the tempo is just fine.

Ed
Then you probably wouldn't like the version by Mama Elliot, which uses a slightly upbeat, syncopated rhythm - or the version by Bobby Vinton using an early soft rock rhythm - or the Skyliner's version which is very "Doo-whoppish"... :)

This arrangement really calls for background vocals like this. I think they sound great. The typical Karen/Richard multitracked thing wouldn't have worked with this arrangement. Kudos to Richard for knowing that and letting others do it. Further kudos for letting the incredible Billy May handle the arrangement. He was absolutely the man for the job. I also think the tempo is just fine.

Ed
Totally agree!

Back
Top Bottom