• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

If you like Herb Alpert, you may also like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
This is a thread where you can suggest other trumpet albums that are similar to Herb's style, either in performing, repertoire, etc. I know Rick Braun has been mentioned here in the past, as have a few others--it might be neat to collect all of these here in a single thread.

My first entry: Mike Metheny. Just a few minutes ago, I finished up listening to Mike's Street Of Dreams album. Mike plays the trumpet, flugelhorn, and the EVI (Electronic Valve Instrument), an instrument similar to the EWI that runs through a synthesizer...and resembles a bug sprayer in appearance. :D

mm_evi_bio03.jpg

(Mike playing the EVI.)

Mike has a very mellow tone, and his pitch is dead-on. He can belt out some good jazz when he wants to, but many of his songs are low-key and very relaxing. Good late-night listening. On the album I just finished up, the lead-off track "Old Wine/New Bossa" goes down smooth with a light Latin beat. One of my favorites of his. The title track of his Day In - Night Out album on the Impulse label is another favorite of mine, with his kid brother (Pat :wink: ) making an appearance on guitar.

Give a listen to a few of his tracks on his site and see if you come away with the same impression that I do. I'm still two CDs behind on his music, but I'm catching up soon.

Here's another Chris Botti tune done live that I like quite a bit...a little different than Drive Time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKTlJoxtdSU

Notice how easy he makes it all look...he's got some really serious chops. He's got that relaxed, easy style and sound and control of the horn - he's got terrific tone - a lot like Herb Alpert...

I agree about Botti, especially his recordings of a Sting song, "La Belle Dame Sans Regrets" (Sting album "Mercury Falling"; Botti album "When I Fall In Love"), which I think I once said here I thought was tailor made for the HA trumpet and arrangement. Botti's album "Night Sessions" always evoked Herb Alpert to me, especially "Lisa" and "All Would Envy" with Shawn Colvin. That said, I think Botti has gotten a bit overblown. His current live cd is a big disappointment, and he seems to rely a lot on singers to accompany. Far as I know, HA has had few vocal accompaniments (either himself or, of course, his spouse -- see especially the forthcoming album).

Let me also suggest Greg Adams, particularly his "Hidden Agenda" album (see the tracks "Smooth Operator", cover of the Sade tune, "Yet in My Dreams", and "Renaissance") and his cover of the Police tune "Wrapped Around Your Finger" from the "Midnight Morning" album. Have been fond of these two Adams albums since I bought them.

I can certainly see where Rick Braun can be considered a natural "successor".

This leads me to ask a question. I know HA and Hugh Masekela recorded together (I'm a big fan of Masekela's music - was introduced to him and his music style from the first HA-HM album and then the "Main Event" album, which I wish would be available at least on mp3). Has HA recorded with other horn players? I know he covered some tunes that Chuck Mangione did (e.g., "Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor"), but I'm not recalling any other horn players. Not that I want him to be upstaged - like his style too much (besides, I'll leave that to his spouse's lovely voice :)).

Still fretting the lack of a NYC area performance date for LH-HA (CT doesn't meet the conditions for me), drs

Thanks for the Greg Adams suggestion. I never heard of his solo CD's until I went to the Barnes & Noble website & heard 30 second samples. The CD "Hidden Agenda" is only available by home delivery at Barnes & Noble stores. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

There's another cat that kinda sounds like Herb, and he's Tom Browne. As some of you may know, he had pop/R&B hits with cuts like "Funkin' For Jamaica", "Browne Sugar", etc.This songs were a little TOO commercialized for me, but in '81/'82, he put out an album called, I believe, YOURS FAITHFULLY or YOURS TRULY. The album cover had him sitting on a stool holding his trumpet, and in the background, a giant closeup of a beautiful woman's face.These type of album covers were sort of the rage back in the day;particularly on R&B/jazz album covers, whatwith the musician/singer in the foreground, and a sexy lady either posing with the musician, or a closeup of her face in the background.

Anyway, back to the music! On this album, he didn't seem to be aiming for hits, he seems to just want to play music. My favorite cut on the album is called CHARISMA, and it's a moody,sensuous piece of music that exemplifies what the song is conveying: CHARISMA. Another cut that I enjoyed was his version of Coltrane's "Naima". Those pretty much are the songs that I remember; the rest of the album(if I remember correctly)were pretty much MOR jazz; safe, non excitable tunes that wouldn't probably win him any Grammys, but based on the tunes that I mentioned, he was trying to connect with a chosen(jazz) audience, and on that point, he somewhat suceeds.

Browne dropped out of music for a while, then he became a born again Christian, and made an album of gospel tunes for a small independent record label in I believe 1986.After that, he disappeared again, but now I heard that he's on the HEADS UP jazz label(that's from what I understand).

By the way, his early recordings were released on the GRP label when they were under Arista, and were produced by none other than Dave Grusin and Larry Rosen(Of course! What else does GRP stand for but Grusin/Rosen Productions like A&M stands for none other than Alpert and Moss?!)

Anyway,thanks for reading my comments!Take care 'til next commentary!
jazzdre

I have a tough time comparing other trumpet players to Herb Alpert. However, I do like Rick Braun and Chris Botti. As far as the Herb approach to music I would say that Rick Braun comes closer, in particular his album with Boney James “Shake it Up” and his recent release “Yours Truly”. I like Chris Botti, but I was disappointed with his “In Boston” CD. It appears to me that he just likes rubbing elbows with celebrities. I think someone should slip him a copy of Herb’s “Fandango” album and tell him he needs to go off somewhere and rediscover his reason for playing the trumpet. Just an opinion.

It would be interesting if Herb, Braun and Botti got together one night at The Vibrato for a little jam session. I’d sure like to be in the audience if something like that ever happened.

Mike

4haverstocks said:
Anyone heard of Till Bronner? A German guy. He is the REAL THING. Has his own unique style, but like Herb, his style is also very warm and tasteful. Beautiful sound, a little reminiscent of Chet Baker, but with way more chops.

Whaddayathink?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsPeOMFAvys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Dg6DbBOzM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVoBv2VDqY

Dan

I like this a lot. I have never heard of him before.

Yes, I agree he has his own sound...I played all three clips, and it seems to me that his tone is similar on both trumpet and flugelhorn.

I'm going to investigate him further. It's nice to see a trumpet player doing something in this style.

I wonder what equipment he is using...

While I do respect Botti and Braun a lot as trumpet players - they both have top chops and can play just about anything from a technical point of view, I do not like all their musical output equally well. I do, in fact, find some of it rather tedious and meandering. However, there can be no doubt as to their chops and trumpet skills...they are both outstanding players. IMO, Braun tends to show off what he can do a little more than Botti - the Shake It Up album with Boney James album has him doing some pretty strong playing.

But thanks for the clips...I'm going to investigate Bronner further.

Cap'n Dave,

Info on Till Bronner's equipment is on this page:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/playerhorn/

(there's also listings for Herb and Chris Botti and Rick Braun and many others)

There's a lot of interesting stuff from Till Bronner in YouTube and elsewhere, and I believe he has a MySpace page. I think he's supertalented, and even when he's going commercial, his playing is at a very high level.

Dan

If you like Herb, you may also like…

This CD: Brass, Ivory & Strings (Henry Mancini & Doc Severinsen)

3b84eb6709a0cb36841e1110.L.jpg

Mike

I have always felt that HA was one of the unintentional originators of "Smooth Jazz" and it probably started with the "This Guys in Love With You" era. In pop/commercial & jazz music, trumpet players were always the (big brass, lots of air, fat sound, cut through everything) until Mr. Alpert started playing stuff like, "So What's New", "I Will Wait For You", on and on...The trumpet didn't have to knock your head off.

Now you have these highly skilled bebop players that are going, "Hey! Don't get scared because I've got a trumpet case" And they are showing people that trumpet can be a interpersonal kind of ax.

When I walk into a room with my trumpet case people are still freaked out but it's for other reasons.

later...........Jay

Jay/Juan's post reminds me...

If you like Herb Alpert you'll also like Jay/Juan!

And the Black Sombrero Brass, of course!

--Mr Bill

Thank you for the tips about Chris Botti and Greg Adams. I have downloaded some iTunes pieces from each of them.

I think many of you would enjoy "Bongo Baby" by Greg Adams.

I have my Pandora channel on right now, and just heard a song that made me do a double take. "The Ostinado (sic) Boy". The artist is David Hoffman, from an album called Prairie Skies. The resemblance to Herb's tone and approach on this tune is uncanny, especially during the opening bars when he's playing open (w/o mute). Can't say I care for the instrumental backing, though (it's all synth/rhythm box, typical of $mooth jazz), and the trumpet is pretty much absent for the last half of the song.

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
In pop/commercial & jazz music, trumpet players were always the (big brass, lots of air, fat sound, cut through everything) until Mr. Alpert started playing stuff like, "So What's New", "I Will Wait For You", on and on...The trumpet didn't have to knock your head off. ....Jay

Thank you! Somebody actually said what I've been thinking all along! I never could get into any other trumpeter's recordings much, largely due to this single fact. Every time I would try out another trumpet player on my stereo, I'd wind up getting frustrated by the end of the album and eventually pull out a Herb Alpert selection. It always seemed the same. Either I was bored to tears with the "Smooth Jazz" players, or I was being assaulted by horn acrobatics. A few examples of each:

Rick Braun sounded pretty good on the title cut of NIGHT WALK back in '94, but just when my curiosity was piqued enough to buy the entire CD, ... well, it turned into Sominex City... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Chris Botti was a similar story, on his FIRST WISH CD. Plenty of talent, no doubt about it. But as far as production, it just did not grab me.

As far as playing style goes (and I'm no horn player), I actually did like the A&M recordings, as well as some of the Columbia recordings, of Chuck Mangione with his flugelhorn. (Yeah, I know. It's technically not a trumpet...) Since I liked Mangione, I tried a couple of other artists who had connections.

Jeff Tyzik (who used to back up Mangione in the old days) sounded okay playing trumpet on the title track of his album SMILE, but halfway through that album, he started squealing too, a la every other exhibitionist just trying to show-off. PROPHECY, from 1981, was far better. But then again, it featured more flugelhorn there.

Of all people, Doc Severinsen recorded an album back in '87 or '88, called FACETS (produced by Jeff Tyzik), which held a really good tonal quality throughout most of the album. And some of it was flugelhorn as well. (Funny how you don't hear anybody squeal and squawk on the flugelhorn the way you hear it on trumpet...)

And then, of course, there was the 1982 album, HOLLYWOOD, by none other than Maynard Ferguson. One of my closest friends has played trumpet for nearly 30 years, and practically idolizes this guy. Well, I bought it because I liked the trumpet cut with the David Sanborn sax duet. Kept the LP for a few years, then it kinda went away... When I told my buddy Robert about once buying, then ultimately trading, this album off for something better, he cringed as if I'd crashed his car or something! I just don't get it. Probably the same thought went through his mind when he couldn't understand my preference of Herb's [apparently simplistic] National Anthem performance over that [annoyingly screechy] of Phil Driscoll.

All in all, I guess I'm just not that big of a trumpet fan. This is very ironic since Herb has always been my favorite recording artist of all time. And to attempt to "broaden my musical horizons", I've tried. I really have, and with an open mind. No offense to fans of Miles, Dizzy and all the other jazz greats, but I'm sorry. There just is no other trumpeter that will ever equal the finesse, the feel, and the production mastery of Herb Alpert.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom