Herb Alpert & the Lead Sheet for "Close to You"

ringves

Most Carpenters fans are aware that Herb Alpert gave Richard the lead sheet for "Close to You" in early 1970.

In his bio of the C's, Ray Coleman indicates that Alpert provided the CTY lead sheet, knowing that Richard was preparing a Bacharach medley for the Carpenters' upcoming appearance with Bacharach at the Reiss-Davis Clinic.

In other recollections, however, this key career moment is presented as the boss subtly suggesting to RC that the C's should record CTY. There is no mention of the medley being the catalyst for Alpert digging up the lead sheet.

So I'm wondering what Alpert's true intention was. Was this a case of "I know you're preparing a Bacharach medley and here's one of his lesser known songs which you may want to include"? Or was it more along the lines of "Here's a Bacharach song that I'd like you and Karen to record"?

Most Carpenters fans are aware that Herb Alpert gave Richard the lead sheet for "Close to You" in early 1970.

In his bio of the C's, Ray Coleman indicates that Alpert provided the CTY lead sheet, knowing that Richard was preparing a Bacharach medley for the Carpenters' upcoming appearance with Bacharach at the Reiss-Davis Clinic.

In other recollections, however, this key career moment is presented as the boss subtly suggesting to RC that the C's should record CTY. There is no mention of the medley being the catalyst for Alpert digging up the lead sheet.

So I'm wondering what Alpert's true intention was. Was this a case of "I know you're preparing a Bacharach medley and here's one of his lesser known songs which you may want to include"? Or was it more along the lines of "Here's a Bacharach song that I'd like you and Karen to record"?
Herb brought the lead sheet to Richard at the same time he was looking for songs to include in the medley. However, whereas Richard initially assumed Herb wanted "(They Long to Be) Close to You" to be part of the medley, it turns out that was not the case at all.

It was the call from Burt to have the Carpenters put a medley together that jogged Herb's memory of the tune from years past, and he felt Richard might be able to do something unique with the arrangement to break the mold of Burt's original, which every artist prior to the Carpenters more or less copied—at least rhythmically.

Remember too that Herb Alpert had recorded the song himself as a potential follow-up to "This Guy's In Love With You". He was attempting to have lightning strike twice by asking Burt Bacharach if he had any other songs tucked away that hadn't been successful. Burt gave him "Close To You" and he recorded it, but engineer Larry Levine, when asked his opinion, told Herb that it was terrible and that he probably shouldn't release it.

That's when Herb got the idea to have Richard Carpenter work up an arrangement of the song, and to do it without hearing Herb's or anyone else's recording. Just to do it from the lead sheet, and to keep the five-note descending piano figure in there.

Herb's version was finally released in 2005 with the first Shout! Factory releases on LOST TREASURES. Personally, I like Herb's take.

Remember too that Herb Alpert had recorded the song himself as a potential follow-up to "This Guy's In Love With You". He was attempting to have lightning strike twice by asking Burt Bacharach if he had any other songs tucked away that hadn't been successful. Burt gave him "Close To You" and he recorded it, but engineer Larry Levine, when asked his opinion, told Herb that it was terrible and that he probably shouldn't release it.

That's when Herb got the idea to have Richard Carpenter work up an arrangement of the song, and to do it without hearing Herb's or anyone else's recording. Just to do it from the lead sheet, and to keep the five-note descending piano figure in there.

Herb's version was finally released in 2005 with the first Shout! Factory releases on LOST TREASURES. Personally, I like Herb's take.

I'd completely forgotten that Herb had recorded it not long before giving the lead sheet to Richard. Thanks for clarifying that!

I can't remember where I saw it, but somewhere there was a story that Herb had disliked the line "sprinkled moon dust in your hair of gold" and didn't want to sing it, and that's why he rejected the song for himself. But now after hearing his own account of the situation multiple times from various sources, I think that must have been cooked up by some writer...maybe Herb just said he didn't like that lyric, but that wasn't his basis for rejecting the song. It was Larry Levine's reaction!

I can't say I don't like Herb's version -- it's snappy and catchy, but that's one song that clearly needs a ballad arrangement. Herb, Larry and Richard all made the right call.

I'd completely forgotten that Herb had recorded it not long before giving the lead sheet to Richard. Thanks for clarifying that!

It’s alluded to very briefly in the TV movie, although not made clear that Herb had already recorded it. The actor playing Herb hands the lead sheet to the engineer and says “it’s nice, but it’s not right for me. Maybe Richard and Karen could do something with it. There’s a charity thing in a couple of months. They might want to try it out there”.

It’s alluded to very briefly in the TV movie, although not made clear that Herb had already recorded it. The actor playing Herb hands the lead sheet to the engineer and says “it’s nice, but it’s not right for me. Maybe Richard and Karen could do something with it. There’s a charity thing in a couple of months. They might want to try it out there”.
Right. I'm not sure Herb would have given Richard the lead sheet had Bacharach not first asked them to do the medley. According to Richard, that's what spawned the idea in Herb's mind. I think the fact that Herb had recently recorded it and wasn't able to get anywhere with it just added more ammunition for him to give it to the Carpenters.

Right. I'm not sure Herb would have given Richard the lead sheet had Bacharach not first asked them to do the medley. According to Richard, that's what spawned the idea in Herb's mind. I think the fact that Herb had recently recorded it and wasn't able to get anywhere with it just added more ammunition for him to give it to the Carpenters.

I’m a believer in fate. Whether it’s this song, or a job opportunity, or a chance meeting with someone who is going to play a big part in your life, I do believe some things are just meant to be. I could recount many examples (one or two quite unbelievable) where something like this has happened to me (although not on the same magnitude!). I think the story about ‘Close To You’ definitely falls into that category.

Herb brought the lead sheet to Richard at the same time he was looking for songs to include in the medley. However, whereas Richard initially assumed Herb wanted "(They Long to Be) Close to You" to be part of the medley, it turns out that was not the case at all.

It was the call from Burt to have the Carpenters put a medley together that jogged Herb's memory of the tune from years past, and he felt Richard might be able to do something unique with the arrangement to break the mold of Burt's original, which every artist prior to the Carpenters more or less copied—at least rhythmically.
this reminds me of the City Slickers version from their tour and the first tv special.

I can't remember where I saw it, but somewhere there was a story that Herb had disliked the line "sprinkled moon dust in your hair of gold" and didn't want to sing it, and that's why he rejected the song for himself. But now after hearing his own account of the situation multiple times from various sources, I think that must have been cooked up by some writer...maybe Herb just said he didn't like that lyric, but that wasn't his basis for rejecting the song. It was Larry Levine's reaction!

I can't say I don't like Herb's version -- it's snappy and catchy, but that's one song that clearly needs a ballad arrangement. Herb, Larry and Richard all made the right call.
I think i remember Karen saying that herself in one radio interview.

As I’m thinking about this, it could have been a matter of Richard wanting to make a mockery of The Clams’ version the same way they made a mockery of the Carpenters. Or, just his way of saying "Hey, we don't mind that you did your version and we're going to have some fun and borrow it."

Last edited:
...which Richard entirely stole from The Clam.

Ed

And I thought the (They Long to Be) Close to You backstory couldn’t get any more interesting.

Carpenters had a big hit with their recording of CTY, then the Clams, a Spike Jones tribute band, attempt to recreate the Slicker sound covering the Carpenters hit recording, which has a rhythm that is oddly similar to Herb Alpert’s recording, then Carpenters covered the Clams recording on network TV.

This is a fascinating chapter.

I'm with you on that, Harry.

I saw Alpert & Lani Hall in Vancouver back in April. The multi-media presentation included an excerpt of his CTY recording during his tribute to the C's. His version may not be to everyone's taste, but I like it. (And there's no question that it's a lot better than the original R. Chamberlain version! Please - no negative blowback from the Dr. Kildare fans!)

Back
Top Bottom