Info needed: John Kelly of Tijuana Brass

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianevickery

I recently purchased a signed lithograph by the artist John Kelly (reportly of the Tijuana Brass). I purchased it solely for it's austetic value, as it is a very well executed scene of a cablecar on Powell Street in S.F., but now would like more info on the artist. Can anyone help? :?:

Thank you in advance,

Diane Vickery :)

dianevickery said:
I recently purchased a signed lithograph by the artist John Kelly (reportly of the Tijuana Brass). I purchased it solely for it's austetic value, as it is a very well executed scene of a cablecar on Powell Street in S.F., but now would like more info on the artist. Can anyone help? :?:

John Kelly was never a member of the Tijuana Brass. What you describe may be from the time that some of Herb Alpert's music and paintings were being played/displayed on some cable cars in San Francisco some years back. How Kelly fits into this, I don't know. Maybe someone from the area knows more about this?

Capt. Bacardi

Strange that a google search for "John Kelly"+ brass(in case it was Nashville,Mariachi,etc.)comes up with a site of his paintings and a short bio that claims he "is a member of the Tijuana Brass musical group". Strange,too, use of the present tense since there hasn't been a formed TJB,touring or recording, for years. another site has him as a musician (and occasional actor)as a secondary profession,"touring with Jimmy Rogers,"The Brass",and worked with the Letterman". Notice there is no mention of the "Tijuana Brass" here,but if indeed he worked with Jimmy Rogers there could be an A&M connection. Mac

Could he have been a studio session player, or maybe a member of the group that played at the Crescendo in '63...?

Dan

Perhaps he's the mysterious second trumpeter that appeared on the TJB's first Hollywood Palace show.
Or perhaps, the 1984 touring TJB. If I remember correctly, there were 2 or 3 backup trumpets in that ensemble.

David,
grabbing at straws, on line......

thetijuanataxi said:
Perhaps he's the mysterious second trumpeter that appeared on the TJB's first Hollywood Palace show.
Or perhaps, the 1984 touring TJB. If I remember correctly, there were 2 or 3 backup trumpets in that ensemble.

David,

I thought Chuck Findlay and Ken Kaplan were the touring trumpeters in '84, but I don't have a program from that era...

Dan...this is a real mystery...

From the aol website above:

"The President of the United States, Jimmy Carter, commissioned him to paint the tall ships coming into New York harbor in 1976. He is also a member of the Tijuana Brass musical group."

Hmmm. The President of the United States in 1976 was Gerald Ford. The election was in 1976. Carter was inaugurated in January of 1977. Perhaps Mr. Kelly has a faulty memory. Rereading the above line, perhaps Mr. Kelly believes that Jimmy Carter is a member of the TJB.

Greg Shannon :cool:

Greg Shannon said:
Rereading the above line, perhaps Mr. Kelly believes that Jimmy Carter is a member of the TJB.

:laugh: Good one! :wink:

And welcome aboard Greg. :)

DAN BOLTON said:
thetijuanataxi said:

David,

I thought Chuck Findlay and Ken Kaplan were the touring trumpeters in '84, but I don't have a program from that era...

Dan...this is a real mystery...

Still a mystery, but an even bigger one is why I keep getting Chuck and Bob Findlay mixed up...Bob played with the TJB, not Chuck...sorry...

Dan

I have been attempting to contact Mr. Kelly through the link to the website provided here earlier, so far...no reply...

Dan

Of course not...he's still touring with the TJB. :wink:

Rudy said:
Of course not...he's still touring with the TJB. :wink:

<Sound> Rim Shot</Sound>!

Maybe he was the "Mystery Artist" who did the giant painting on the Bullish tour???

--Mr Bill

Greg Shannon said:
From the aol website above:

"The President of the United States, Jimmy Carter, commissioned him to paint the tall ships coming into New York harbor in 1976. He is also a member of the Tijuana Brass musical group."

...Rereading the above line, perhaps Mr. Kelly believes that Jimmy Carter is a member of the TJB.

Ha! Ha!! Ha!!! That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while...Jimmy Carter a member of the TJB!!!! :shock:

Then again, perhaps Mr. Kelly also believes that John F. Kennedy was married to Claudine Longet! :tongue:

Jon

...tickled online...

Brasil_Nut said:
Then again, perhaps Mr. Kelly also believes that John F. Kennedy was married to Claudine Longet! :tongue:

Hey, if the bullet fits... :wink: Wasn't she dating Lennon in 1980 also?

OK, enough black humor... (smacks self)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom