"It's Going To Take Some Time" single review

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyB

I've heard that Richard had said that this song was much better suited as a nice album track instead of being a single. After all, this was the first Carpenters single not to make it into the Top 10 or achieve gold record status since "Ticket To Ride." It did, however, peak at a highly respectable # 12 on the Billboard charts and remained in the Top 40 for 8 weeks, pretty good by most standards.
I must confess, I don't ever recall hearing this song on the radio. Though I do remember that somebody, either my older brother or one of my sisters possessing the 45, with Flat Baroque as its B-Side.
The earliest real exposure to this song was when I heard it on The Singles 1969-1973.
This song fit so well on this set without realizing at the time that it was a hit for them.
I love this song, and I love Karen's reading of it (that's no surprise).
To this day, I have never heard Carole King's version, and I'm not sure if I'll ever want to.
For me, nothing can top Karen's.

I like the song, but it's not one that seems to get a lot of play from me. I don't know why this is, because I do like Karen's interpretation of it and Richard's wonderful arrangement. I don't skip the song when it comes on, but I almost never go searching for it either. This might change over time.

I do skip the remix whenever it comes on, however. I skip it because I'm not a fan of that rerecorded piano. It sounds too jarring to me.

I have Carole King's version and it is very good. She herself said that her version was like a demo compared to the Carpenters' version, but I wouldn't go that far. I like Carole's version very much and I listen to it often. I'm a huge fan of her music. But for me, the Carpenters' cover is the definitive version. Just don't give me that remix, however. Lol.

Another for which one could write a dissertation !
Questions---for me--immediately come to mind:
(1) Why such a soft song for a single choice?
The arrangement, anemic at best.
(2) This is an example (?) of the type of song for which the critics were beginning
to chisel away at Carpenters' music, let alone respectability---even if a Carole King composition.
Barely any trace of the superb sensibilities embodied by We've Only Just Begun.
(3) What happened to any rock or jazz influence, here ? Where's the beef ?
LP A Song For You , such a strong offering---otherwise.
Was it the flute solo that Richard needed/wanted to emphasize in the arrangement ?
(4) Well, as we are aware, Richard has conceded that it should have remained an album cut--
however, this does not explain Why he felt it should be anything but an album cut in 1972 .
(He must have really liked it at the time.)
(5) And, as Eyewire has reminded me, we are then treated to a (later) remix---even worse than the original.
Why bother with the changes that were made for that remix? (Especially, in light of Richard's own comments
as to why he bothered with the "time and expense" for that fantastic Solitaire mix !).
(6) Thankfully, Dishwalla did wonders with the song.
And,thus, in some small way (I grew to ) appreciate Carpenters' version
of the song, even if it does not move me.

I would say ,though, this is my least-played Carpenters' song.
Carpenters' unique talents can best be utilized elsewhere.(IMHO).

There was an incredible synergy going around at the A&M lot at the time of this song. Carole King had recorded the song and released it on her MUSIC album. The MUSIC album it self was highly anticipated after the amazing TAPESTRY album, its hits, its Grammys, and its wide acceptance all across the format spectrum. I remember being a listener to my wimpy little soft-rock MOR FM station and hearing "It's Too Late" and thinking it a nice addition to that station's format, and being bowled over hearing it on the powerhouse WFIL-AM in Philly. That song - and all of the hit songs from TAPESTRY - just mesmerized the nation. Carole King was, as they might say, "golden."

So a year or so floats by with those songs - alongside Carpenters - dominating the airwaves, pushing back against the late-60s hard-rock hippie songs, and peacefully co-existing at the top of the charts. MUSIC comes out and is instantly embraced - more Carole King! - Yes! - and its songs are explored and played as the album is promoted. We all heard "It's Going To Take Some Time" from Carole as part of the explosion of songs from that new album.

Then came Carpenters exploration of the song. Richard and Karen were surely caught up in the synergistic explosion of the music of the day, as was Tim Weisberg in his contributions on flute. It almost seemed sacrilegious at the time that one of Carole's songs were being covered by someone else, yet it was Carpenters doing so, adding to their incredible run of top 20 hits, and coming from THEIR incredible A SONG FOR YOU album.

While Richard wrote some great songs, he was nowhere near as prolific as the early-70s Carole King, but if he had been, I wouldn't have been surprised to see a Richard Carpenter tune on a Carole King album.

How Richard feels now is mere Monday-morning-quarterbacking, looking at his past actions with 20/20 hindsight. THEN, it felt right.

Harry

Thanks, Harry, always great to get another perspective:
That being said, it still does not give insight to Richard Carpenter's original mindset---at that time in Carpenters career.
As we heard on the recent 'Bless The Beasts And Children' interview, Richard's only (apparent?) criteria
---at that point in time--was whether or not a song was considered--by him-- to be a hit single; and, only then would he
take the time to record the song. Thus--at that time--he believed the song to be a hit.
Also, as he has written , he considered the song to be the best song off of the Carole King album from which he originally heard the song.
As for his subsequent opinion---it only changed because this song turned out not to be a huge hit (on par with earlier chart success)---
and, not because he ever felt his arrangement suffered. (Which, obviously, I believe it did--then, as now,i.e., arrangement suffers.)
Ultimately, I do not care about his subsequent change in opinion--as you have aptly pointed out--opinions change throughout the years.
Facts remain: the song is weak to begin with. The arrangement is no where near as effective as previous Richard Carpenter arrangements.
As we all (perhaps!) agree, it is song quality which is changeless. This song's quality has not changed throughout the years,
although the arrangement has (e.g., Dishwalla).
Thus, Richard's toying with the mix of this song many years afterward still gives (me) pause to his consideration of the tune.
Regardless of how I slice and dice this, it always comes back to my perceived weakness of the arrangement to an already weak song.
I have 'felt' such ever since 'first hear'--sometime in the 1970's---and, that---for myself--has not changed throughout the years.

Facts remain: the song is weak to begin with.

I don't believe you can "objectively" say that a song is weak, using the word "fact". "Subjectively", sure. And your opinion is as valid as anyone's. Your later statement of "perceived weakness" is the correct way of looking at it.

Here is the competition on that Hot 100 chart during the week that "It's Going To Take Some Time" peaked. Notice two other A&M singles ranking higher: the sparsely arranged "Morning Has Broken" and "Outa-Space".

BillboardHot100Jun101972.jpg

Notice some other sparsely-arranged songs in this chart:

Diary by Bread
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack
Song Sung Blue - Neil Diamond

Harry

Point well-taken, Harry : my use of the word "fact" is dubious !
And, yes, many folks like this song....I appreciate the song, also,
I merely --as, again you point out--"perceive" the song to be weak--when measured against their own output !
But,of course, music is ultimately based on 'our' perception.
This is why I am most interested in Richard Carpenter's original perception.
After all, Bless The Beasts And Children was not released as an A-side single.
It's Going To Take Some Time was released as an A-side single.
My 'subjective 'opinion is that the former far outshines the later !
Thus, I was not comparing other artists songs--at the time--though that aspect is informative;
I was merely comparing Carpenter's songs with previous Carpenter's output of A-side singles to that point in time.
I do appreciate the point you are making !

Direct quoted from Liner Notes Singles 1969-1973:
"In the midst of recording their A Song For You album, Richard and Karen were having
a quadraphonic system installed in the sound room at their home. By chance, the engineer
was testing the system with a quad test pressing of the Carole King "Music" album.
They were knocked out by It's Going To Take Some Time and decided to include it in their album."

Perhaps, this goes some distance in answering my ruminations--as, wouldn't a quad system coupled with a
test pressing present one with outstanding sonics ?

I see where Carole King collaborated with John Bettis ,
the 1989 song
"Homeless Heart".

There is another version of It's Going To Take Some Time,
also performed by Carole King, clocking in at about 4:30,
heavy on the guitar-work.
Very nice, indeed.
I do believe my taste for the tune is turning more positive !
Thanks, again, to the Forum.

Last edited:
One more note about this song (prompted by the "drumming" thread on this song), and that's regarding the 2004 SACD mix. In case you've forgotten or hadn't noticed, Karen's lead vocal on that track is totally different, possibly a work-lead that Richard used for this mix. It's a little less "formal" than the original recording.

Harry

I've always wondered if the Carpenters' had released "I Won't Last A Day Without You" in place of "It's Going To Take Some Time" how high it would have gone. As it was when it was released two years (and an entire album later) in 1974 it still went to #11. Releasing it in 1972 might have meant that the Carpenters would have had to record new material for 1974 so they could at least remain on the radio (one of the reasons I believe Richard has said IWLaDWY was released as a single).

"It's Going To Take Some Time" did become a Carpenters staple, Karen sang it in concert quite often. I've never heard a live version of "It's Going To Take Some Time". It may be the only single during this period 70-74 that doesn't make it to the top of any Carpenter list. I'm going to go out on a limb and say almost any decent song (aka not Goofus) the C's released as a single during this period could have made the top 20.

Yesterday I saw the P.B.S. American Masters Series...Carole King, a Natural Woman...It showed them recording at A&M Studios; also had an interview with Toni Stern, the lyricist who wrote It's Going to Take Some Time with Carole.... great stuff!!!

JBee, above, you mention Karen sang this song " in concert quite often".
Question:
Which concert(s) presented Karen and Richard singing It's Going To Take Some Time ?
I recall no instance of such right off hand---thus, the absence of any extant 'live' vocal.

JBee, above, you mention Karen sang this song " in concert quite often".
Question:
Which concert(s) presented Karen and Richard singing It's Going To Take Some Time ?
I recall no instance of such right off hand---thus, the absence of any extant 'live' vocal.

D'oh! Sorry about that. What I MEANT to write was that "I Won't Last A Day Without You" became a concert staple and remains one of the Carpenters most well-loved songs. That was brain freeze on my typing finger's part. I've never seen evidence that they did "It's Going to Take Some Time" in concert - or live - anywhere. Which makes the fact they chose it a single over "I Won't Last A Day Without You" even more inexplicable.

I would have liked to hear Karen sing a different Carole King song. Tapestry would have been a good album cut, but Natural Woman could have been amazing.

How about a "Carpenters sing Carole King" album. I'm listening to the Tapestry album and thinking how well their styles would mesh.

This is one of my favorites, and one of the few remixes I like most. I love the light jazz feel in the flute solo in the middle and I enjoyed listening to it on the radio. In those days, the station in my hometown used a turntable that turned too fast and at times, on that station, it almost felt as if another singer was sitting in for Karen. At the correct speed is when you feel the unique rich quality of Karen's vocals and the first time I heard it was on the Singles 1969-1973.
I recently listened to Carole Kings version and it's alternate piano arrangement is nice and definitely Carole. However, I like Richard's arrangement of this song and for some reason everyone who touches it has a nice arrangement. It's just one of those songs that Carole King deserves credit for creating a song that fits most who sing it. And, I think the Carpenters version is the most appealing and complimentary with Dishwalla's as a close second.
Hitting the top does not necessarily define a good song, it just means it had more 'radio' appeal, hitting a chord with listeners with balance of pop culture at the time. The only reason this one was outside of the top ten was timing it too close to Carole King's Music album as Harry explained in great detail. It is still a great song with a great arrangement. I can't imagine their catalog without it!

Craig

In those days, the station in my hometown used a turntable that turned too fast and at times, on that station, it almost felt as if another singer was sitting in for Karen.

This practice is actually still done on occasion today. Radio programmers can be led to believe that speeding up a record by a factor of 1% will accomplish two things: it will get through that record more quickly, allowing more precious seconds for commercials, promos, DJ talk, etc., and when compared to a competing station playing the same song at the correct speed, might psychologically sound "better", "brighter" than that other guy.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom