James Griffin (aka Arthur James) of Bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Last Wednesday evening it was my priviledge to see a live performance by James Griffin of Bread, whose soft-rock was all over the charts in the early '70s. He shared the stage at Babe's Lounge (inside Hojo's) with a couple of lesser known vintage acts.

Under the pseudonym Arthur James, Griffin was a co-writer of the Carpenters' hit "For All We Know." Another Bread member, David Gates, was a producer of A&M singles for Capt. Beefheart.

Each artist's sets were short, with Griffin performing Bread standards "Make it With You," "If" and "Diary," playing guitar and accompanied by the house band, 'Spellbound.'

The next featured performer was lead singer Dannie Trexler of the O'Kaysions, best known for their 1968 hit "(I'm a) Girl Watcher." That tune recently was included in the film soundtrack for "Autofocus," the story of the notorious double life of murdered actor Bob Crane of "Hogan's Heroes."

The final performer was soul and beach music legend Clifford Curry, whose sole charting hit from 1967 was "She Shot a Hole in My Soul." His was the longest set with 12 tunes.

Griffin has collaborated with Terry Sylvester of the Hollies for several recording projects. The two have teamed up with John Ford Coley (of England Dan & ....), another A&M veteran, recently. I'm hopeful Griffin will bring them along next time he's in town.

Many thanks to D.J.s Bill and John Rutherford for organizing this fun-filled event.
JB

Well, Bread happens to be one of my favorite groups. I only have their BEST OF's VOL. I & II on vinyl, right now, though. Would like to buy their 2-Disc RETROSPECTIVE someday. Or maybe I'll settle for their 1-Disc ANTHOLOGY--contemplating a Used one just to get "Dismal Day" and "Lost Without Your Love", as well as "She's The Only One"--another from the final LOST WITHOUT YOUR LOVE album that I've never heard as much as the title-cut. "For All We Know" is the last song on the 2-Disc RETROSPECTIVE set and it's sung by James Griffin as an unreleased demo. I have the versions by The Carpenters, as well as Vikki Carr & Andy Williams.

Much of the songs Griffin sang at that concert (as well as the rest of their catalog) were sung by David Gates, but they must have been good to hear. Yes, "Girl Watcher", I've heard now and then--looks like that one's gonna be stuck in my head for a long time, Now! :wink:

And David Gates wrote songs in the early-60's like "Popsicles/Icesicles" for The Murmaids and worked as a Record Producer for Glen Yarbrough, among others.

Never heard of Clifford Curry--funny he sang the majority of the songs.

Well if James Griffin can bring along Terry Sylvester and/or John Ford Coley, I'd sure like to see them perform, then, myself.

Glad you had fun at another "out of the ordinary" concert event, Jim! :agree:

Dave

I've got the one-disc Bread ANTHOLOGY, plus a Griffin-Sylvester disc from the show, and he signed both for me. There are many good Bread tunes, but my favorite one is "Been Too Long on the Road." It wasn't a hit single -- which is so often the case with the tracks that stand out in my memory.

Finding a copy of "Girl Watcher" wasn't easy, and I wouldn't have known it was on that Crane movie soundtrack without help from the computer.

As for Curry, he's a local guy well known both at home and along the NC-SC coast, but not nationally. Still active even though his only his was over 35 years ago.
BJ

LPJim said:
There are many good Bread tunes, but my favorite one is "Been Too Long on the Road." It wasn't a hit single -- which is so often the case with the tracks that stand out in my memory.

BJ

Ah, THERE's MY Favorite Bread Song, right there! Wish I could REALLY have a reason to be singing that one! It's on BEST OF BREAD VOLUME 2, which I have on vinyl, as well as the first BEST OF. Been listening to BOTH Sides of each, plus I bought my ANTHOLOGY with a few songs that aren't on either of the earlier sets.

Dave

LPJim said:

...er, don't you mean "JB"...??? :?:

"WD" :twitchy:

Bread with David Gates & James Griffin toured UK in 1997 for the first time in nearly 25 years .... :o

Griffin performed For All We Know as one of the additional tracks -really fine vocals and group performance :)

David Gates did issue a recent half hits and half new material album in 2002 ....Bread despite the success of that 1997 /1998 world tour never attempted a full new studio set -still The Eagles have only released one new song despite on & off studio work for the last two years :!:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom