JANIS HANSEN TRIBUTE THREAD*

Discussion in 'Look Around: Sergio Mendes/Brazilian Music Forum' started by Steve Sidoruk, Nov 14, 2017.

1. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member Contributor

Richard, you may recall I sent you and Janis a digital copy of the old Going Thing album along with a ton of pics I had.

2. lj

lj Active Member

Richard--While we all remember Janis as an incredibly talented and gifted singer, your powerful and moving LA Times obituary tells it all, that is, Janis was wonderful human being with a heart of gold. God bless Janis, you, and your family.

Intuitive Samba likes this.
  3. lj

lj Active Member

Richard--I have posted a forum link below with two photos of Janis associated with the A&M Family Portrait album from 1967. Scroll down to page 2 and you will see one color photo with Janis holding an umbrella in back and another color photo with Janis standing behind Herb Alpert by a picnic table showing all the A&M recording artists from 1967. I am a sentimentalist so these photos are priceless time capsules of the golden days of A&M records. I hope you enjoy seeing them!
    Family Portrait

4. In 2015, on (page 3 of) the Family Portrait thread -- a copy of (one of those) photos was posted by Harry, but it is no longer online (Photo Bucket).

Family Portrait
    forum.amcorner.com/threads/family-portrait.7632/page-3#post-137193

5. ...which is why I just reposted them here.

6. Oh, I see, it's the same print. I was hoping for an even better print of the 2nd photo -- around the picnic table -- if possible. I wonder if anyone has the original negatives. Now, that would be special. Furthermore, maybe there are some more shots from that same session.

7. lj

lj Active Member

Here is a terrific "near a cappella" version of Janis Hansen singing "The Look of Love" from the original Brasil 66 recording. There is also an imaginative recreation of the 45 record sleeve featuring three photos of Janis.

8. Fantastic! What a great tribute to Janis.

In a way, the cover image rectifies the fact that the actual picture sleeve of the 1968 single release featured a photo of the new line-up (who did not play on the recording) -- which included, in particular, Janis's replacement.

== re: the Audio ==
    This isn't drawn from the original multi-track master tapes. (Who knows if those can even be found!)

This probably used a technique called Out-of-Phase stereo.
    Depending on where the vocals are placed in the stereo image of a mix, OOPS, can achieve something like this.

The idea behind O.O.P.S. is that anything that is panned to the center is (mostly, if not completely) eliminated.
    In other words, anything that is the same in both the left, as well as the right stereo channels is cancelled-out.
    Anything that is common to both channels of audio is removed from the resulting _mono_ mix (signal).

The signal in one of the two channels is inverted, and then mixed (super-imposed onto) the signal of the opposite stereo channel, and the result is, like what you hear, here.

I think I hear evidence of compression artifacts from lossy audio encoding ("compression").
    What if uncompressed P.C.M. (like in the digital master, or even the audio C.D.) was used as the source for this special new mix of Janis's singing?

9. lj

lj Active Member

The great Janis Hansen born in 1942 formed an amazing constellation of musical all-stars also born in '42. In Brazil you had Gilberto Gil, Caetano Veloso, and Milton Nascimento all born in 1942. Elsewhere those born in 1942 were Paul Mc Cartney, Brian Wilson, Carole King, Barbra Streisand, Aretha Franklin, Jimi Hendrix, Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Graham Nash, Roger Mc Guinn, Jerry Garcia, B.J. Thomas, Tammy Wynette, Wayne Newton, and Claudine Longet. I was lucky to have been around as a teenager in the 1960's to hear their music blossom in that decade.

Rhymes with Music likes this.
  10. Whenever she spoke, whatever she said --
    it was poetry

Whenever she walked,
    it was dance

11. Cannon

Cannon New Member

RIP Janis ..Thank You for the timeless beautiful music you created..it will live on for ever.

12. lj

lj Active Member

Janis could sing any kind of song well. Of course she had mastered those smooth Bossa Novas, but she could also soulfully sing with a fantastic R&B feel as on this great song. With production and sound by Bones Howe and released in 1971.