• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Janis Hansen

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMAR5

Since I am new to this forum, I just started reading through past posts and came across the question regarding Janis Hansen. I was under the impression that the Janis Hansen from Odd Couple t.v. series was the same one in BB6. Does anyone know for sure?

Trevor.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered The Carnival CD on Amazon, and I am anxioius to hear how it sounds

It sounds like a Brasil '66 meets The 5th Dimension. Most people in this forum like it. I think it has some really good moments, and some that stretched a little too far, and some that would have sounded better if the 5th Dimension sang the song instead.

Trevor,

I would love that, my all time 2 favorite musical groups are Brasil 66/77 and the 5th Dimension.

Then, theoretically, you should like THE CARNIVAL. With two former members of Brasil '66 (Janis Hansen on vocals and Jose Soares on percussion), Hal Blaine on drums, and Bones Howe handling production, not to mention Joe Osborn on bass, and Larry Knechtel and Pete Jolly on keyboards, how could you miss?

Rev Ola did a good job putting this one together, and the extensive liner notes tell the whole story.

Harry

Harry--being Very... said:
...Then, theoretically, you should like THE CARNIVAL... ...With two former members of Brasil '66 (Janis Hansen on vocals and Jose Soares on percussion), how could you miss...?

...Rev-Ola did a good jon...

:laugh:

Harry--...so SCARY said:
...putting this one together, and the extensive liner notes tell the whole story...

Harry

I had a feeling The Carnival would get a mention somewhere in the recent threads, "favoring" Sergio Mendes & The 5-D... Really should'a picked up on the Rev-Ola reissue on CD, even if it meant ordering it Online; I've still yet to see anything Rev-Ola did here, aside from the Emmitt Rhodes/Merry-Go-Round set that frequently turns up at a Record Show 'round here... (Yeah, I know, "Get it, Dave--it's only TWENTY-BUCKS!!!"...!!!)

Dave

Harry said:
What do you want a 5 in the morning? Perfection?

Harry

Well, I just now, also thought that maybe the "mis-spelling" could mean a "Brasil Nut" is involved...! :wink: :nut:

Dave

I know it's probably heretical to admit this, but there are days I actually prefer The Carnival's Reza (Laia Ladaia) to Sergio's. But both of them pale to the version on the Edu Lobo Songbook CD set, done by Be Happy (IIRC)--unbelievably gorgeous close harmonies on that one.

JMK said:
...I know it's probably heretical to admit this, but there are days I actually prefer The Carnival's "Reza (Laia, Ladaia)" to Sergio's... ...But both of them pale to the version on the Edu Lobo Songbook CD set, done by Be Happy (IIRC)...--Unbelievably gorgeous, close harmonies on that one...!

Ah, but heretical for me to admit is preferring The Carnival's version of "Reza (Laia, Ladaia)" to that of Tamba 4...!!!

(Carnival,--Let's face it!--made a Pop Song out of it; taped it and sent it to my Pen Pal, with a bunch o' other favorites o' mine...!)

Dave

Dave said:
JMK said:
...I know it's probably heretical to admit this, but there are days I actually prefer The Carnival's "Reza (Laia, Ladaia)" to Sergio's... ...But both of them pale to the version on the Edu Lobo Songbook CD set, done by Be Happy (IIRC)...--Unbelievably gorgeous, close harmonies on that one...!

Ah, but heretical for me to admit is preferring The Carnival's version of "Reza (Laia, Ladaia)" to that of Tamba 4...!!!

(Carnival,--Let's face it!--made a Pop Song out of it; taped it and sent it to my Pen Pal, with a bunch o' other favorites o' mine...!)

Dave

If you like that one, make sure to get the Elenco release of Edu Lobo with The Tamba Trio--absolutely incredible album, available on several different CD releases.

My last remnant of Carnival's "Reza (Laia, Ladaia)" was a Picture Sleeve single... The backing track was actually the First Song, "Canto De Carnival", which was nothing more than the Lead-Off song to that Hit Single...

Wish it could'a been "A Famous Myth (One Bright Night)", by Jeffrey Comanor, instead...! :sad:

Dave

:love:

JMAR5 said:
I would love that, my all time 2 favorite musical groups are Brasil 66/77 and the 5th Dimension.

:love: AND :love:

DoctorT said:
OMG - my two favorite groups of all-time are Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 and the Fifth Dimension. OMG!

:love:

--Mr Bill
just having a little fun with JMAR & Dr T :love:

Mr Bill said:
--Mr Bill
just having a little fun with JMAR & Dr T :love:

You know, Mr. Bill, you sound a little jealous. . .
Who are your 2 favorite groups, and maybe we can hook you up with someone.

I hope that you didn't intend it this way, but some of the "gay" members of this forum may consider your remark offensive.

Trevor said:
You know, Mr. Bill, you sound a little jealous. . . .

Just having a little fun with no intent to offend the thin-skinend, be they gay or straight.

As for being jealous, yeah maybe... I'm on an over seas tour for two yeaers away from my family... :sad:

--Mr Bill
who gets his own ration of crap for being a Peter Allen and Liberace fan...

I hope that you didn't intend it this way, but some of the "gay" members of this forum may consider your remark offensive.
I have never understood why a person's musical tastes indicate if they are gay or straight.

I'm straight, but I enjoy the Pet Shop Boys, Elton John, some Barbra Streisand, and yes the Fifth Dimension. I just don't get why some artists get a "gay following" and others don't. I don't mean to derail the thread, but this has been a mystery to me.

I didn't think that you meant to offend anyone, Mr Bill.
I guess I am a Politically Correct Californian who tells people "Have a great Holiday" because I don't want to offend anyone.

Gay vs. Straight music??? Queen's "We are the Champions" is played at so many sporting events, and I don't think people really care that it's a primarily a gay group, or do they even know?

I've wondered how Janis Hansen and Karen Philipp would sound together. The two Lani "back-ups" singing a song. Do you all think it was Sergio's intention to get a "second Janis Hansen", or a new singer? (trying to stay on the subject of the thread)

I was always surprised that Janis didn't get more vocal spots. The group had a major hit with "The Look Of Love" which she sang...and then she left the group (or was let go) right after that album. Always wondered what the behind-the-scenes was on that situation.

Mike Blakesley said:
I was always surprised that Janis didn't get more vocal spots. The group had a major hit with "The Look Of Love" which she sang...and then she left the group (or was let go) right after that album. Always wondered what the behind-the-scenes was on that situation.

She goes into some detail in the liner notes to the expanded Carnival reissue. She simply was not happy, and Sergio wasn't treating any of the band very well (according to her). It was hard being on the road; they stayed in Motel 6's (or similar), sharing rooms, while Sergio had first class accomodations; etc., etc. Plus she had met her future husband and knew she wanted to settle down.

I finally bought THE CARNIVAL on CD. I had never heard it before.

I wasn't all that impressed. It sounds good in spots, but it's just too busy. All those background vocals...the production is just overdone to the max. Several times during the disk (especially toward the end of "Turn Turn Turn") I just felt like yelling, "SHUT UP ALREADY!" to the singers.

Overall my impression was: Too much 5th Dimension influence, not enough Brasil '66.

helping to steer things back on track...

I've always wondered why Lani's solo career never took off as well as her days with Sergio. And why have the other Brasil 66 ladies over the years either failed to try going solo or (if they did() why theyu met with as littel success as they did. Sure, Lani's got a big latin American fan base, but if you consider she WAS the voice of B66, Sundown Lady shoul've been at least a moderately charting LP...

--Mr Bill

I can tell you that tracks off of Sundown Lady (especially Love Song) got a *ton* of airplay in SLC, which was always strangely more supportive of Sergio & Company than a lot of the rest of US (Love Music the single also was big, as was, believe it or don't, If I Ever Lose This Heaven). I was surprised when I kept checking Billboard, since I was hearing the album so much, that Lani never charted. That said, as a lifelong fan, I found her subsequent attempts increasingly more strident and less enjoyable. It was her coolness and effortlessness with Sergio that I always loved. I started to feel with "Hello It's Me" she was holding up a big (aural) sign saying "Look at me, I'm another Streisand," or something like that, and it never quite took. Just my veritable 2 cents.

I found her subsequent attempts increasingly more strident and less enjoyable. It was her coolness and effortlessness with Sergio that I always loved. I started to feel with "Hello It's Me" she was holding up a big (aural) sign saying "Look at me, I'm another Streisand," or something like that, and it never quite took.

I agree with this. In their review of HELLO IT'S ME, Billboard called it "a work album" which I took to mean that she was just trying too hard to impress, in their view at least.

As for why Lani's solo pop career didn't take off -- I think it was just bad timing. That first solo album came out just after the singer-songwriter era was peaking...Carole King was coming off her huge TAPESTRY album; artists like Joni Mitchell, James Taylor and Jackson Browne were putting more of a rock edge on their music, and then the Fleetwood Mac/Steve Miller/BTO/Heart style of music moved to the forefront, so Lani's material was probably too "mature" and easy-listening-sounding for the masses.

I do remember hearing "Banquet" off of the HELLO album, and Sergio's "After Sunrise" and "Love Music" getting some airplay on the pop station out of Billings, Montana that we listened to around that time. I was surprised that "Love Music" didn't chart...it seemed like a perfect pop record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom