"Jazz On A Summer's Day"s/similaraties to TJB spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzdre

I finally saw it, folks! I finally saw the movie that critics and jazz fans alike have raved about; the movie is "Jazz On A Summer's Day", and if you haven't seen this movie, I would suggest that you do. The movie was made by a renowned photograher by the name of Bert Stern, and he made a very beautiful, colorful movie about Jazz.

It takes place at the 1958 Newport Jazz festival, and features Thelonius Monk, Anita O Day, Dinah Washington, Mahalia Jackson, and of course the legendary Louis Armstrong.Stern intercuts footage from the performances with people walking around the grounds, people in a house listening to the jazz, kids playing, the audience listening to the concert, etc.

What amazed me is some of the things that I saw in the movie, I've seen in Herb and the TJB's specials! Ther is a scene in the movie where there's a band driving around in a car(a brass band at that) during the festival that reminds me of one of the Brass' promo clips where they're driving to Mexico playing(guess what)Tijuana Taxi! Another clip in the movie has it that the same band in the car is plaing on the beach, and the trumpeter of the band is standing on the rocks playing, which reminded me of Herb standing on the rocks, while the ocean is beating; him, the Brass and orchestra playing "A Taste Of Honey"!

Another scene are the concert sequences in the movie; they remind me of the concert sequences in "The Beat Of The Brass" tv special.So, do you all think that Herb and the producers of Herb's specials saw "Jazz on a summer's day", and decided to at least include some of the movie's scenes(recreate them so to speak) to make the specials more different and innovative? Just a question!

Also in the movie, The Chico Hamilton Group were performing what I would describe as an "Afro-Cuban" number, and the guitarist playing looked sooo familiar, then I realized it was none other than John Pisano!!! I had read that he was a member of The Chico Hamilton Group, but I don't know for how long(can anybody answer that for me?) Anyway what they were playing up there was nothing short of amazing.

Anyway, like I said, check out this movie for the color, performances, and similarities!(smile)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom