• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Jewel Cases Or Digipak ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonely bull

With the fantastic news about the forthcoming new batch of re - issues I wonder if Shout! will consider using Jewel cases? Personally I would prefer them - what does everyone else think? I planned to make up my own Jewel cases with scanned covers for the original Shout! re - issues but never went through with it! :D

As much as I HATE digi-paks with every fiber of my soul, I would really be ticked off if they switched to jewel boxes for the next set of releases. Good or bad, they should follow through with their original design decision and keep them all consistent. I tend to think of them all as a "set" and it would be even more annoying to me to have half of them in different style packaging.

It was Herb's choice to use the digipak. I can't imagine they would switch mid-stream.

This issue was discussed in another Herb thread, but as I remember it the reasons for digipak were: Cheaper to manufacture; takes less space (thinner); cheaper to ship (weighs about 1/2 what a jewelbox package does); and, probably the most important reason for Herb -- easier on the environment (less plastic).

FWIW, I wish they'd used jewelboxes myself. I think they are much better looking and more durable (not to mention replaceable if they break). But I respect Herb's decision.

Yes I had thought about that and I think You are right - it would look weird - half and half sitting on Your shelf!!!!! The main reasons I never made my own Jewel cases were : where would I store the original Digipak packaging? And : I don't have all the original CD issues that I could scan album covers from - for example - I never had What now my love on CD until it was re - issued. I probably made the right choice!

I'm with Actorman -- keep going the same so they make a nice matching set on the shelf.

Personally, I have nothing against Digipaks aside from the fact that when they wear out they're DONE. Of course, with LPs it was that way. So to my mind Digipaks are the legacy packaging of the classic 12" vinyl LP (without the annoyance of the impossible to open, disc-damaging "mini-LP" packaging that seems to be plaguing us of late).

With the Shout!Factory reissues I am inclined to dislike the way the booklets are packaged within the sleeve. Even here there was a change between the first four (die-cut pocket in the front flap) and the later issues (enclosed within the frontflap). Also in support of Digipak, just look at the CTi series with their wrap-around cover art. Putting those in Jewel cases detroys the art that made that series so lovely to hold and view. They demand Digipak IMHO.

I prefer the overseas versions I saw (Japan?) where they were in jewel cases and the "Herb Alpert Signature Series" overtitle on the selvage strip on the left was inside the inlay visible through the clear inlay tray. It looked classy.

--Mr Bill

I'm sure they'll be DigiPak. No real complaints about mine, as I have made CD-R two-fer copies of all the discs, and have the originals stored away on the shelf. In a year or so, I want to buy duplicates of all of them and leave them sealed, just as a backup. I handle most of my DigiPak titles carefully, and I might even consider finding some kind of plastic bag to put them in. (I wonder if someone like Bags Unlimited sells a nice, thick bag, like the LP bags, to put them in.)

The mini LP format doesn't bother me too much either, but the discs tend to roll out of those too easily. My Simon & Garfunkel set is like this. The mini LPs are replicas of the original LP jackets. But you have to be careful that the discs don't roll out--I wish they'd put them in some kind of innersleeve.

Anyone remember the first major release of a CD in a mini LP format? Any guesses as to which title it was?

The thing that bugs me the most about the later Shout TJBs is that pocket that holds the booklet. I use one of those 12-disk cases in my vehicle for storage. (I like to keep the disks and boxes together.) When I pull the digipak out of that case, the booklet likes to stay behind in the case. The earlier digipaks with the pocket didn't have that problem, so I liked them the best.

I have quite a few of the old mini LPs...one of my favorites is the Rolling Stones' STICKY FINGERS, complete with a real zipper! No idea what the first one was though.

Reissue digipaks vs. jewel cases: digipaks, hands-down. Jewel cases are a complicated pain the asterisk, and anyway, who thought of the misleading term "jewel case" in the first place to describe a complicated mess of fragile hard plastic?. Of course, all CD packaging is a pain and a joke, compared with the expansive real estate of an LP, but I'd much rather have the reissues in a format that approximates the original LPs in any aspect. Just make CD-Rs for everyday listening and archive the originals. What could be easier?

Mike A.

Well, here's a Digi-Pak/Jewel Box topic which I think would be worth "picking up on"...:

Otherwise, --Yes, I still keep my Discs in a Thin "Slimline" case... I personally think the Standard-Size case is a Total Waste of Plastic, with cracks, scratches, difficulty to open and failure to close, and all... :rant:

Digi-Paks Rule! :cheers:

Dave

I'm with you, lonely bull. I abhor Digi-paks. The glue that attaches the plastic CD holder to the pak itself often comes loose. Also, as has been mentioned, the booklet pocket is a pain. They are a horrible idea and I wish they'd all go away.

Ed

I'll take jewel cases any day of the week, because they protect discs and booklets from scratches/scuffs while the cheaper cardboard packaging does not.

The proliferation of cardboard sleeves isn't an accident. It's tied to the recent rise in the price of petroleum.

The worse characteristic of digi-packs is the glued-in tray. If the plastic teeth get broken you've got a permanent mess to deal with. With the jewel cases all you've got to do is snap in a new tray.

JB

Dave said:
Digi-Paks Rule! :cheers:

Dave

--Not!!!

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
...I abhor Digi-paks... ...The glue that attaches the plastic CD holder to the pak itself often comes loose... ...Also, as has been mentioned, the booklet pocket is a pain...

LP Jim said:
...I'll take jewel cases any day of the week, because they protect discs and booklets from scratches/scuffs while the cheaper cardboard packaging does not... ...The worse characteristic of digi-packs is the glued-in tray... ...If the plastic teeth get broken you've got a permanent mess to deal with... ...With the jewel cases all you've got to do is snap in a new tray...

Yes, for the above reasons, I think that Digi-Paks are a rather silly idea... I really meant to say Jewel Boxes ARE Better...! :angel:

Dave

What I like best about jewelboxes is the way they make the cover look all shiny behind the plastic. If the box gets scuffed up you can replace it and the package looks brand new again.

The TJB paks would have looked better if they'd used a glossier paper, like the original LP covers had.

Bottom line, both designs have their good and bad points.

I don't see why people complain so much about jewelboxes' fragility -- sure they are fragile, but why should they be indestructible. If you treat them with the same care you would an LP, they should last forever, and if you do happen to break a hinge, replacement is cheap and easy - unlike digipaks, where you're stuck unless you buy another copy.

The other jewelbox complaint you see all the time is "they're hard to open." Well, if you find them hard to open, you're just not doing it correctly. It's even easy to open it with one hand if you place the box on a surface. Try that with an LP.

Guys:

I made my own TJB reissue/jewel box cd cases and have stored the digipacks in a safe place.
I found a good color copy machine to make copies of the digipack covers---the color copies are indistinguishable from the originals. Then I trimmmed the copies slightly so they would fit into standard cd jewel boxes. Now I don't have to worry about tearing up the delicate digipacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom