JOAO DONATO RIP

lj

Donato-- a musical titan-- has died at 88. Words can hardly express his importance to 20th century Brazilian pop music. All Brazilian musical artists were in awe of his talent. His amazing musical songbook included tunes you could not categorize other than saying they were uniquely Donato. All his unforgettable melodies were intricately constructed, and yet they were easy to remember--no mean feat. He was at the studio with Brasil 66 when the "Look Around" album was recorded in 1967. The result was Brasil 66 recording his classic "The Frog," which for me was the group's greatest up-tempo recording. And here is that super Brasil 66 video of "The Frog."

Here is Donato's "Bananeira.," so typical of his intricate and catchy melodies.

Here is his "Cade Jodel." That's Donato on the vocal. He had to be persuaded to have lyrics added to his songs, and later in life he did a nifty job singing in that relaxed Brazilian style.

I "discovered" him a year or so ago--I'd heard his music for decades but only bought a few of his recordings just recently. I also rediscovered Cal Tjader's The Prophet record and didn't realize until I started looking it over more closely that it was a collab with Donato--he composes half the songs on the record (and Tjader the other half), and plays keys throughout.

I've played the heck out of that two-fer CD I bought last year with his two early albums on it (A Bossa Muito Moderna and Muito a Vontade). ("Villa Grazia" appears on the first of the two albums and was the original name for what became "Bananeira.") They are a nice, clean transfer and sound excellent given their age. And the RCA record The New Sound of Brazil is sublime (with Claus Ogerman handling the strings).

BTW, those old 60s TV videos always look like a really bad LSD trip once the dancers appear. 🤣

Here is A Bossa Muito Moderna--"Villa Grazia" is the final track of the album:

And this is the RCA album The New Sound of Brazil--the opening track is familiar ("Amazonas").

Donato-- a musical titan-- has died at 88. Words can hardly express his importance to 20th century Brazilian pop music. All Brazilian musical artists were in awe of his talent. His amazing musical songbook included tunes you could not categorize other than saying they were uniquely Donato. All his unforgettable melodies were intricately constructed, and yet they were easy to remember--no mean feat. He was at the studio with Brasil 66 when the "Look Around" album was recorded in 1967. The result was Brasil 66 recording his classic "The Frog," which for me was the group's greatest up-tempo recording. And here is that super Brasil 66 video of "The Frog."

The Frog is a great selection. I first heard it on 8 Track Tape back in 1969. Even though it was a single, I never heard it on radio here in eastern VA. Ironically, Roda, a non single, was getting airplay.

Here's the rare 45 mix of "The Frog". The 45 is tough to find as is the mono mix of LOOK AROUND.

Maybe that's why I liked it right away.... it was familiar without me realizing it.

It goes to show how long it's been since I've listened to Timeless.

Bebel Gilberto sang it on her debut album Tanto Tempo. I'd rather have it without vocals to be honest.

And he is on the Bossa Rio Expo 70 album with Manfredo Fest, I think the only time those two giants played with each other (on an album, anyway). His own Blue Thumb album A Bad Donato comes highly recommended.

Hilariously, Sergio gave me pronunciation tips when I was asking about Joao years ago.

Here is another Donato gem--"Cafe Com Pao". I especially enjoy the long instrumental middle portion of the song.

Here's another gem by Donato-- "Sambou, Sambou"-- with the great Joyce Moreno on the vocal.

Back
Top Bottom