John Pisano On Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
The other night here on military TV they ran Deep End Of The Ocean starring Michelle Pfeiffer and Treat Williams. Well as I'm sitting there watching the scene where they have a big reception for the opening of their new restaurant, who do I see playing guitar in the band? None other than John Pisano himself! No lines and no clear guitar solos (an accordian is the lead instrument throughout this pivotal scene) but (another TJB connection here) they play Zorba after Treat Williams asks them is they know it (though not by that name but by the type of song it is like asking to play a Tarentella or a Mambo).

A slow-moving film with less than stellar performaces. Would have fared better as a thriller with more adept writing...

--Mr Bill

For Christmas I got a DVD of some of the Lucy Shows from the mid-to-early 1960's. Lucy and Vivian dress up as hippies and go into a club and (I don't remember his name off hand) but the BMB drummer is the hippie drummer in the band. (You all know who he is) Later....Jay

Frank Devito. His delightful vocals on BMB's "Winchester Cathedral", "Wall Street Rag" and "Do You Know The Way To San Jose?" are among the faves in my BMB collection!

--Mr Bill

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
For Christmas I got a DVD of some of the Lucy Shows from the mid-to-early 1960's. Lucy and Vivian dress up as hippies and go into a club and (I don't remember his name off hand) but the BMB drummer is the hippie drummer in the band. (You all know who he is)

Wow, Jay! I never noticed Frank on that episode of The Lucy Show -- one of my favorites, as it was one of Viv's rare annual appearances. I just about fall off my chair whenever she goes into her "Lighthouse" routine...priceless! :thumbsup:

Jon

gramatical Bob said:
Where does Frank sing on "San Jose"?

The second time you hear the "L.A.'s just a great big freeway..." part what sounds like a reedy muted trumpet is actually Frank going "Ee ee ee ee ee ee eeeee..." Most people need a kazoo to achieve that effect. Way Cool!

--Mr Bill

How do you know this? I always thought that was an electronic effect from Bernies flute. Frank is obviously a man of many talents. Would you believe...that I have a record he plays drums on called "The Wamma-Lamma-Joogie-Boogie-Shuffle"

Mr Bill said:
part what sounds like a reedy muted trumpet is actually Frank going "Ee ee ee ee ee ee eeeee..." Most people need a kazoo to achieve that effect. Way Cool!

That and it's probably equalized to sound like a kazoo as well. :) (Although that kind of studio trickery wasn't all that common back then.)

Rudy said:
That and it's probably equalized to sound like a kazoo as well. :) (Although that kind of studio trickery wasn't all that common back then.)

Right, Neil. As a matter of fact (I'll bet Steve Sidoruk remembers the Mendes/Marimba Tour), when I saw The Baja Marimba Band open for Brasil '88 back in '79, a kazoo was used to recreate this effect on stage, adding credence to the fact that a little studio trickery may or may not have been used on the recording.

Jon

bob knack said:
How do you know this? I always thought that was an electronic effect from Bernies flute. Frank is obviously a man of many talents. Would you believe...that I have a record he plays drums on called "The Wamma-Lamma-Joogie-Boogie-Shuffle"

Bernie DID experiment with as electric flute...and it was used on DYKTWTSH...I saw it on a BMB performance on TV...I think it was Mike Douglas...Julius talked to Mike about it before they played the song. I don't really remember exactly what it sounded like, but as I remember; it was a reedy, electronic sort of sound...kinda like what was described above...

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
Bernie DID experiment with as electric flute...and it was used on DYKTWTSH...I saw it on a BMB performance on TV...I think it was Mike Douglas...Julius talked to Mike about it before they played the song. I don't really remember exactly what it sounded like, but as I remember; it was a reedy, electronic sort of sound...kinda like what was described above...

For a sample of the sound of an electric flute, listen to Bob Messenger play one on Carpenters' "Mr.Guder." When they played this song in concert, Richard often pointed out that Bob Messenger was going to be featured on the electric flute. It's very similar to the style of flute heard in Baja Marimba Band's "Do You Know The Way To San Jose".

Harry
NP: Baja Marimba Band's "Do You Know The Way To Jan Jose?" (and not afraid to type out the title!), online...

Harry has a good point -- "Do You Know The Way To San Jose" being a classic BMB song. "Mr. Guder" is a classic as well. Having worked at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, I can really relate to this song. We had a lot of "Mr. Guders" in management...matter of fact...I ended up becoming one of "them" myself! :rolleyes:

Jon

...running to put on my coat and tie, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom