• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Julius Wechter & The Baja Marimba Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hutch

Anyone a fan of these crazy guys? I've been slowly finding their LPs and I'm a little upset to realize that their appearance on CD is virtually non-existent.

Does anyone know if Shout Factory will pick them up next? I hope so!

There is a "move afoot" to get Baja CDs released. Shout! Factory has considered trying to license it, but they are waiting to see the reaction to (and sales of) the Herb Alpert catalog before deciding whether to pursue the BMB titles. Meantime, you can pick up 3 compilations.

Collectors Choice has the best single-disk comp there is. It features most of the hits and a couple of rarities.

You can buy a fairly similar package on Japanese import. It doesn't sound quite as good, has four different tracks (different means "not as good" in this case) and no liner notes.

There is a 3-CD, 30-track package available too, from Timeless Music (www.timelessmusic.com)

There is a huge amount of overlap between the three packages, but my favorite is the Collectors Choice one. But even it has some gaping holes -- many BMB favorites have never been on CD at all. So you're not alone in wanting the catalog issued. Stay tuned.

Rudy said:
http://www.timelessmusic.com/Albums/bajamarimba_317.htm

Thanks for the link. I was recently in neighboring San Antonio and found near-mint condition LPs of "Heads Up" and "As Time Goes By." Awesome stuff!

I completely agree....I'd love to see Shout Factory commit to getting these released as well. Hopefully my buying 2 copies of each of the TJB releases will serve a greater purpose.

Michael H.

Even Hip-O Select could do this if the potential for sales were there, since the recordings belong to Universal.

Better keep your BMB singles, as some of them will probably never be reissued. One that grabs attention everytime I play it for someone is "Can You Dig It?." It was very much of the time (Laugh In style) but a total departure for the BMB. It died a fast death as did most novelty records in those days.

TallPaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom