• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Julius Wechter & Tourette's Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cortnee

The late Julius Wetcher was devoted to The Tourette's Syndrome Association. My daughter was recently diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome and my question is : What made Julius get so deeply involved? Did he have Tourette's? Or was it maybe a family member of his?

Cortnee said:
The late Julius Wetcher was devoted to The Tourette's Syndrome Association. My daughter was recently diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome and my question is : What made Julius get so deeply involved? Did he have Tourette's? Or was it maybe a family member of his?

Julius was diagnosed with Tourette's a long time ago, as I recall. Maybe even back to the Martin Denny days. Does anybody remember this more clearly than I do?

Capt. Bacardi

He may have had it many years, but it was not till later in his life that he was "diagnosed" with it. I spent some time with Julius and never noticed any sign of it. I was surprised years later to hear he had it. ONE FANTASTIC PERSON- that was Julius.

Julius was around 40 when he was diagnosed with Tourette's. He ws so impressed with the care he received that he became a therapist himself. Tourette's is something you're born with, but it may not become a problem until later in life...in some ways, it's similar to Attention Deficit Disorder[Julius led an ADD support group as an intern...]. He was featured on an episode of Montel Williams TV show, but it was back in the late '90's, and I don't think the Montel database goes back that far if you'd want a copy of the program...I tried, but couldn't seem to find the show.

A friend of mine has TS, but the illness didn't manifest itself until she was nearly 20...she's working toward a teaching degree...

Dan

Another aspect of Tourette's is the notion it that sufferers have uncontrollable fits of cursing and such. That is the "Hollywood stereotype" of T's. While there ARE cases where it is that extreme, it usually manifests itself in twitches and other uncontrollables, increasing when the subject is stressed. A person with T's can and usually does appear quite normal...

--Mr Bill
of the almost one dozen T's sufferes I've met NONE cursed uncontrollably like the lady in Deuce Bigelow, a pretty funny movie...

The notion that TS sufferers curse uncontrollably is most likely brought about by a serious misconception on the part of the observer. TS sufferers are often highly aware of the effect their episodes have on onlookers, and are highly sensitive about their episodes. They get angry at themselves, and that's usually where the misconception has it's roots. They might curse, but it's usually a reaction to the episode.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom