JULIUS WECHTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that whenever I dip into my CD-R needledrop recordings of the Baja Marimba Band, I hear a stray click or pop that I know I can get rid of. With the recent announcement of the passing of Bernie Fleischer, I recently grabbed my Baja disc for the car and was appalled at some of the noise that occurred on the original vinyl. This I've spent the better part of a week fixing up a few of the bad songs. "Yellow Bird" had an annoying series of clicks at the start and some of the songs on WATCH OUT! had some pops in them that are now easily handled.

Whenever I delve into the Baja Marimba Band, I'm always a bit angry with myself for not having paid much attention to them when they were around, but I'm happy I ultimately DID discover their magic.

Harry

I really like Julius' description of the BMB as "The Tijuana Brass' bad little brothers." That's perfect.

Although I have never been as big a fan of BMB as the TJB, a lot of their songs are still high on my A&M-favorites list -- especially "Goin' Out The Side Door," several cuts on the Fresh Air album, and almost all of Those Were The Days. (And others I'm not thinking of at the moment!) And of course Julius' contribution to the TJB can't be underestimated. I like to listen to a lot of the TJB records and just follow along with his playing. He was a master and I never get tired of listening to that marimba.

About a year before his passing Julius posted on this site and replied to all the messages sent his way. I'll never forget his statement that it wasn't "weird" of me as a kid to prefer BMB, TJB and other A&M artists to harder rock artists like the Stones. He likely wasn't in good health at the time yet took time to correspond and seemed in good spirits.
JB

I remember those responses of his. Very nice. I also put up with a lot of sidesays looks from my "peers" because of my teenage musical taste. I still think I'm probably the only person in Montana who has the TJB, Sergio Mendes, the Stones, Metallica, Lani Hall, Santana, the Sandpipers, Glen Campbell, Alan Parsons, Carpenters, George Winston and the Baja Marimba Band all on the same iPod!

mike I remember the question I asked Julius is how did they get that sound of the marimba and Bernie's flute playing together at the same time.Julius answer it was he and Herb Alpert that arranged that. Julius is sure truly missed. not a lot of excellent musicians come along with such talent he was one of the best.
bob

I hadn't read those posts from Julius in quite a while, so it was fun just now to go back and read them again. I am so glad that he was able to know that his music was remembered and still appreciated by a lot of people. I'll bet that really made him smile. This is one of those times the Internet is a great thing.

Herb Alpert has told the story over and over again that after recording "Rise", Wechter (who played marimba on the track) was listening to the playback with him and commented, "I hate it". He came from a different era, and didn't like the disco-sounding beat of the tune. He would have preferred if it had been done in a traditional jazz style.

Yes, I remember Julius hating "Rise", too--and somehow he also "knew it would become a hit"...!

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom