• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Karen Carpenter rare photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I read an interview a while back from Phil Ramone and he said that the only pictures that were taken from her solo album were included in the album. I have found this site and it has at least 3 pictures I had never before seen.

Here is the link to it.

click here

I went back to this website and I found that it didn't work. I tried about 5 minutes later and it worked. Somtimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. You just have to keep trying. :)

Geocities has a ridiculously low bandwidth limit for their hosted sites.

The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.

Usually they're back online after an hour, unless there's another spike in accesses.

The colored pictures are beautiful, but on the black and white pictures, Karen looks like a skeleton.

Bruno

I've seen those photos from that website years ago, maybe longer, so there not new or anything. But if your new to the web then they would be new to you.

...who wonders whether Karen would have approved of the photos used for her solo album insert jacket, online...

many people probably don't know this,but the "Voice Of The Heart" album cover was intended to be the original solo album cover(it was taken in 1979),but after Karen died,A&M decided to use it for "Voice Of The Heart".And it's a great shot!

Mrj

I don't know if that's actually true about the Voice of The Heart cover. A&M member MsTaft actually saw a test pressing of the original solo album cover in 1989. A guy at A&M had kept hold of it, back and front, and the cover was as you see it now. Except that it was originally recolorised in rose and violet colours, with Karen's clothing also recolorised to match.

Karen's name was even on it, scripted as if it was her signature. If you check the liner notes for the solo album that Phil Ramone wrote, it says that nothing was changed, from the mixes, to the layout and artwork. It was all as Karen had originally approved it in 1980, once the album had even been designated a catalogue number.

Check this thread I resurrected a few days ago

http://amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=522

Stephen

thanks randy for link, it's nice to see these all in one place.

I always thought that the cover of VOTH was the photo that was going to be used for the solo album. Why do I think that? I have thought that for a long long time. I have the full poster framed of the VOTH album cover.

That pic on randy's site, the last one at the bottom in the middle, I have seen the original super large poster of that photo promoting the new solo album, I remember it actually had the solo album cover pic really small in bottom right corner.

For all I know, what I saw was the "in progress" album- but I think not. I never thought to ask if this were final or not.
I will say this much- it did not have song titles on it anywhere. I looked for them! :)
But it was just like I said earlier. I wonder if Doug Haverty (Hagerty?) or soneone else, would ever posted scans of it.
Randy, do you know more about this?

Mark
PS- There were a couple of shots I'd never seen before!

Mark-I've spoken with Doug Haverty several times back in the early 90's.He was always very friendly,helpful and ready to answer any questions.He worked in the A&M International A&R Dep't.As far as Karen's album cover,I thought I heard that Info(about the VOTH cover) from a reliable source,but I could be wrong.In any event,The VOTH cover photo was taken in 1979,during the solo sessions.

Randy,

Thanks for the link. Karen looks really incredible in several of those pics. You know, she really was a stunning woman in more than one way.

Tony

Yes, Doug Haverty (thanks for clearing this up for me) was quite a nice man- and needless to say, a real fan of Karen and Richard's work. I remember hearing him say he was real pleased they were still big worldwide. The year I met him was 1990, I think, maybe 1991. I do think the VOTH photo was taken at the same time as the solo sessions.

I have several promo posters of the pic where Karen is dressed in white and curled up in the velvet chair. Underneath it reads Karen Carpenter solo sessions on A&M. A friend of mine that works at a large local record store is always on the look-out for ANYTHING CarpenterS and joyfully he passes these little teasures on to me. Through him and his "discount" I have purchased 2 sealed copies of each CD in the REMASTERED SERIES. Yes, this includes THE SINGLES 1968-73. I can't stop myself from stockpiling. I think it's a way to somehow re-live the purchase of a CarpenterS record. I dunno...but I've got the "fever" that much is true. March 10th my 35th Ann box-set will set sail from Japan and land in my waiting arms. So much fun!

Perhaps a little bit obsessed,

Jeff

I'm still on the lookout for that re-mastered singles CD 69-73, no wonder I can't find it, Jeff has them all!!! :o Just kidding. That one is a hard one to find. I wonder how many they actually produced?

However I have the audiophile Lp of the Singles 69-73 so at this point nothing can top the sound off that lp at all.

...who wonders if the re-mastered singles CD 69-73 sounds any better than my audiophile Singles Lp, online....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom