• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Karen's shining moment vocally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Here we go,

This has been touched on somewhere in the past, however I don't feel like digging at 7am. My vote for the most controlled use of her lower register as well as her higher, where every breath is perfectly timed to maximize the effect of holding and caressing a long note, Is YOU'RE THE ONE. Such control that clearly supercedes many other readings in its sublime performance. There are other's...KAREN'S VERSION of SOLITAIRE for instance. The long verses in GOODBYE TO LOVE, Her solo MAKE BELIEVE as a still later indication of her phrasing, intonation and almost buttery deliverance. Really there are so many that I could probably name everything...Save THE WEDDING SONG & MAN SMART...

What are some other styles or genre's that you've noticed Karen's crystalline performance of a tune? Releasing an album of "true" classics showcasing her mastery of each note and phrase. Trax with minimal production and perhaps a limit of over-dubs so that an environment is created by simply unveiling the Star Vocalist's talents and now timeless peices.

WhaD'ya think Pals?

Jeff

I also love Slow Dance. I not sure
but it seems like I remember reading that this song was recorded
during Horizons sessions. Does
anyone know if it was ever played
as a single on the radio?
Also to me, when I listen to China
River by Akiko it seems to resemble
Slow Dance at least there very
similar. Has anyone else noticed
this? JIM

Ok, I don't like the song "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" ::don't hurt me:: but I absolutely LOVE the way Karen sings it. (From the Top set) Perfection - and I wish so bad that she had sung more songs of that jazzy caliber. She truly had a gift for it.

coolvox said:
I also love Slow Dance. I not sure
but it seems like I remember reading that this song was recorded
during Horizons sessions.

I believe it was recorded in 1978 during the sessions for the album that was never released.

Personally, I feel that Karen's finest vocal performance is "Little Altar Boy." Even today, nearly 20 years after I first heard it, the power and clarity of her voice still stun me.

But other songs would run a close second -- the medley from 1980's MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC (with "Make it Easy on Yourself," "Knowing When to Leave" and "Someday") is similarly awe-inspiring. "You" from A KIND OF HUSH takes my breath away. "Make Believe It's Your First Time" and "If I Had You" from the solo album are up there on my list, too. The Karen/Ella medley, "You're the One," so many others...

While my favorite Carpenters songs are mostly from the early albums, I think Karen's voice matured into something truly spectacular toward the end of the '70s. Both CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT and MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC contain some of the finest vocal performances of her career.

David

David,

I couldn't agree more. Although I, too, would have to say that my favorite Carpenters songs are from the early years, I think Karen's voice was at its peak later. In particular, I think that she sounded her best on Christmas Portrait and during the sessions for that album. "Little Altar Boy" is near the top of my list of my favorite of Karen's performances too.

Although it's a futile exercise, I can't help but wondering how she might've sounded if she'd been around to tackle more standards such as those she recorded for the Ella Medley.

Tony

I hear you david. It is futile to
think about what might have been
but its OK to dream. One standard
that I love and wish it had a
complete version is A House Is
Not A Home, from the Make Your
Own Kind Of Music medely.
JIM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back