Kasa HS103 Smart WiFi Plugs

This is a good one for the holiday. If you run holiday lights or a Christmas tree or two in the house, you often want an easy way to switch them on or off. The way some holiday lighting is designed, it is meant to be plugged in directly, with no switch attached. Granted, there are some outlets in the home that are controlled by a wall switch, and others might be on a timer...but I've also had those "senior moments" when I've driven away from the house, wondering if I remembered to turn off all of the lights.

1637965670887.pngThis is where the Kasa smart plugs come into play. They plug into your outlet, connect to your WiFi, and can then be controlled via the Kasa app on your phone.

I have some requirements for devices like these. First of all, for safety, they must be UL listed. Amazon is flooded with cheaper smart plugs, but almost none of them are UL listed. Second, the system they run on must not run on a hub, nor can they be a proprietary system. Third, they have to be made by a reputable company, and widely available.

The Kasa plugs fit all three of my requirements. For compatibility, they run on their own Kasa app, but the Kasa system can be connected to Google Home, Alexa or Microsoft Cortana for app and voice control. They require no additional hub to operate--they simply become additional devices on your WiFi network. And yes, TP-Link's products are all UL-listed. I not only use their Kasa products, I also use some of their networking equipment.

How well do they work? I had no issues finding them on the network and connecting them in the app. And only in the most remote of instances did I find a switch wouldn't work--my wireless access point in the house is in a central location, but out at the garage, it is a bit far away for some WiFi devices to connect easily. Everything else, though, has worked perfectly.

My only complaint has to do with the design. These plug directly into your wall outlet, and the switched outlet faces straight outward. If you have plugs behind furniture, you may have to buy a short "pigtail" to mount it away from the wall (think of a pigtail as a very short 6-inch extension cord). Otherwise, the plug for your lamp or appliance may prevent you from pushing your furniture up to the wall. I really wish they had put the outlet on the side. The pigtails I speak of are readily available from stores like The Home Depot.

This is the version of the smart plug that I own, available in a four-pack at a very affordable price ($26.99 as I write this):

Amazon product ASIN B07RCNB2L3

The newer version, the EP10 is a bit shallower:

Amazon product ASIN B091FXLMS8

The pigtail I bought was $2.97 from The Home Depot:

1637965600577.png

Back
Top Bottom