• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Lani Hall Classics Volume Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I know that in the States, Lani's CLASSICS came out as Volume 19 of the series.

It looks (from eBay) like the same disc may have been Volume 12 over there. I didn't know that.

12_1.JPG

Harry
...learning new things every day, online...

Which country?

I just hope it's not one in an endless string of homemade bootlegs I've been seeing lately.

It's possible they didn't want to release the whole Classics set over there, so they renumbered some of them to avoid any gaps.

Did a little searching and came up with the following for the Japan Classics series:

TJB: 1
Quincy Jones: 2
Gino Vannelli: 3
Rita Coolidge: 4
Bros. Johnson: 5
Carpenters: 6
SM & Brasil 66: 7
Bacharach: 8
Styx: 9
Joan Armatrading: 10
- 11 unknown -
Lani: 12
Humble Pie: 13
Nils Lofgren: 14
Wes Montgomery: 15
Cat Stevens: 16
Frampton: 17
- 18, 19 unknown -
Alpert: 20

A few are the same...others different. No real rhyme or reason either way. :wink:

Could it have to do with liscensing and/or release dates? In other words, maybe certain material cleared for American release didn't coincide with international clearances? Could have been contractual as well. Then again, I think you have a point, Neil. Maybe there were artists who weren't considered marketable by Japanese standards -- the result being a re-numbered catalogue.

Regardless, this is an interesting find, Harry.

Jon

...in the land of pure conjecture, online...

brasil_nut said:
Maybe there were artists who weren't considered marketable by Japanese standards -- the result being a re-numbered catalogue.

That I'd believe. I mean, Gino Vannelli, even today, has a huge international following outside the U.S., where he's almost been forgotten. He still rated a set here in the U.S. (Vol. 7), but his catalog still sells decently. But I doubt bands like Atlantic Starr, Nazareth, Squeeze, Pablo Cruise and LTD would have been that well known to Japanese consumers, and all of these rated a set here in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom