Lani on Chelsea Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a very lengthy interview with Bobby Hart on the new season 1 Monkees DVD release where he hilariously goes into a lot of detail about A&M "throwing money" (his words) at Boyce & Hart. He talks about how, even though they weren't that big of a chart presence, they always travelled first class and blew through every cent A&M tossed their way.

i'm also a huge judy collins fan

she was a good friend of joni's and did chelsea morning twice.

once on her live album "living" and once as a studio version on a 45 only release. this version was recently issued on the best of judy collins on rhino.

both versions are excellent.

lets not forget that tha clinton's claim to have named their daughter because they were such huge judy fans.

valty

Who told you that Lani and Karen are dear friends? If they still are good friends...then i am glad to hear that. I've always wondered if they were.

It seems that Karen was a lot wilder than Lani...dancing faster on stage. Closing her white painted eyes and bobbing her head to the music at the end of Wichita Lineman on the Music Scene, posing for Playboy & admitting to taking pills (do you know if she means prescribed or not?) ...It doesn't seem that Lani would experiment with drugs....but that maybe Karen would.....I am glad that they are still able to be friends and to appreciate each others differences......Do you agree with me?

brasil_nut said:
Darn, Dave! It's hard to read your yellow reply against the ochre background!! :wink:

Ooops, Sorry! My Forum Color Settings are MAGIC MAN (Purple? Lavender? Pink?). My reply to the previous post is actually in ORANGE.

As much as I like Green, I can't get used to the WHIPPED CREAM Forum Color Settings, but I might give it a try.

brasil-nut said:
I know what you mean about Joni's version of "Chelsea Morning". She really seems to have that '60s mentality down pat (Duh! It was written in the '60s!!!) What I mean to say is, she really adds dimension to the song in a free and easy way. With Sergio's version, you can feel the hustle and bustle of the lyrics.

Jon

...making intelligent statements, online...

Yes, Jon, Joni is pretty laid back with the song, compared to Neil Diamond's and Sergio's versions, done at faster tempos. Jennifer Warnes' version is close to Joni's--don't remember what album she did it on; she made two for Parrot. I played a little of each album I saw at a record store, but decided weren't really worth getting.

Dave

...painting my postings--sorry if this "cyan" isn't easy to read...

nativo said:
Who told you that Lani and Karen are dear friends? If they still are good friends...then i am glad to hear that. I've always wondered if they were.

Hey James! I have an acquaintance who used to live next door to Karen in the '70s and '80s. She once mentioned that Lani was a frequent visitor to Karen's home...with Aria in tow. Pat Proft has also been quoted as saying that Lani and Karen remain friends to this day.

nativo said:
It seems that Karen was a lot wilder than Lani...dancing faster on stage. Closing her white painted eyes and bobbing her head to the music at the end of Wichita Lineman on the Music Scene, posing for Playboy & admitting to taking pills (do you know if she means prescribed or not?) ...It doesn't seem that Lani would experiment with drugs....but that maybe Karen would.....I am glad that they are still able to be friends and to appreciate each others differences......Do you agree with me?

I can't really comment on the difference between Lani and Karen, though I agree...appearances would lead one to believe that they were different in every way. It would seem that, after touring four years and working side-by-side, they would become friends -- different or not. And, like you, I'm glad they have remained friends to this day.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom