Let's revisit "The Best Herb Alpert Album Ever"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

What is the best album Herb ever did? It's been discussed here many times, times change- it's 2008- PICK ONE album you regard as your fave..NOT TWO- be definative.

I'll pick: "WARM"- I don't know why- it just is.

For me it's "Going Places." Nothing beats "Mae" and "And the Angles Sing." Herb at his technical best IMHO. I mentioned a few months ago my wife was ill with suspected cancer and today she is in the middle of hard core chemotherapy. These 2 songs save my sanity! 40 years ago (when I first heard them at the age of 13) I had no clue that they would have a significant role for my "Coping skills." Thank you Herb Alpert.

Hey Steven -- This is always a fun one...cuz it's always changing...hmmm, though it looks like you want both fave and best, no?

Fave - South Of The Border
Best - SRO

But I've only heard LPs through Summertime -- so I've missed by far most of HA's issues.

-James

in storm-wreaked San Francisco...btw how's the weather in LA?

I think that album should be...

sp4790.jpg

RISE...!!!

Dave

Best: Fandango

Fave: My home made Warm/Summertime two-fer (yes, I know that's cheating). :D

Mike

James you need to hear FANDANGO.

I've long said that my two favorite Herb LPs are GOING PLACES and WARM, depending on my mood, and that still stands -- but there isn't a TJB album that I don't enjoy listening to on one occasion or the other. (Except LONELY BULL, I only really like 2 or 3 songs there.)

If I have to pick one and only one favorite Herb Alpert album, then I'll pick FANDANGO.

But since I haven't been asked about Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, then I get to pick my favorite there too - it's WARM.

Harry

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass - SRO (although each album is unique enough to make comparisons difficult).

Herb Alpert - Fandango

Mike Blakesley said:
James you need to hear FANDANGO.
Wow, Mike -- based on your endorsement I'll definitely give it a go! Looks like many of our Cornerite colleagues like this album as well. Must be quite the record!

-James

Yes, I think it's easily the best of Herb's solo projects. The only downside of it is the one vocal number but even that has some great horn work. To me "Route 101" and "Coco Loco" alone are worth the price of admission.

For me:

First Place: "Going Places" This is the album that not only turned me on to TJB but to "pop" music.

Second: "Whipped Cream"

Tied for Third: "South of the Border" and "What Now My Love"

Tied for Fourth: "SRO", "Sounds Like", & "The Ninth"

Tied for Fifth: "Beat of the Brass", "Brass are Comin'", "Warm" and probably "Coney Island" but I haven't heard CI, B are C, or Warm in decades.

Tied for Sixth: Would be "The Lonely Bull" & "Volumn Two". These two did have some of my favorite TJB stuff.

Again, GP, WC, WNML, Sof the B, all have a special place in my musical heart.

For non-TjB...

1st Place: "Fandango"2nd Place: "Passion Dance"3rd Place: "Rise" I can live without all the other stuff.

later..........Jay

Mike Blakesley said:
Yes, I think it's easily the best of Herb's solo projects. The only downside of it is the one vocal number but even that has some great horn work. To me "Route 101" and "Coco Loco" alone are worth the price of admission.

Route 101 -- the highway I grew up by! That WAS Herb! Wow, I hadn't thought about that in years. OK. I remember that song in HS...with strumming acoustic guitars and really nice trumpet lead. I recall it being a catchy pop melody...and I remember hearing it once while playing hooky from school...while going to El Capitan Beach...along 101!

Totally gotta get it now!

Thanks, Mike!

-James

Yep. That's "Route 101". It's currently available on the Definitive Hits compilation and will of course be a part of FANDANGO whenever Shout! gets around to releasing it.

Harry

Just got done listening to Definitive Hits. That Route 101 blows my mind. I don't only listen, but I FEEL that music. It's an emotional experience for me, can't say why, really. I get higher than a kite! :D

Oh, man is this kicking up some memories... I remember that was my 2nd big HA period (the 3rd one is now...like I played For Carlos three times today, nowamsain?)...I had just found a used copy of Warm and I played it for this guy at school who said it was "old fart" music...then he played a song called Factory from an HA album called Beyond (I think...) he said THIS is Herb Alpert -- not that muzak from the 1960s!! I think he first discovered HA with Rise and liked that "urban" sort of thing. As for Factory -- other than some super-duper sounds effects I don't remember a thing as I was thoroughly under the spell of The Sea Is My Soil.

[I remember, thinking: man, if he can't get into Warm, I wouldn't dare try to play Tijuana Taxi -- he'd probably just laugh at it! I guess for him (and his ilk) innocent '60s pop was no match for the streetwise grooves of the '80s. Of course we all know he got it "brassackwards"!!]

-James

In addition to DEFINITIVE HITS, "Route 101" has appeared on CD at least four other times:

It showed up on the now out-of-print compilations:

CLASSICS VOLUME 20
A&M GOLD SERIES HERB ALPERT (solo)
The Rondor compilation A PORTRAIT IN MUSIC

and of course was on the FANDANGO CD that had a limited pressing in the '80s.

Fandango.jpg

Harry

I guess for him (and his ilk) innocent '60s pop was no match for the streetwise grooves of the '80s.
Well the "street" Herb has its moments too. The song "Beyond" is a marvel of production and the horn work on it is fantastic too.

James - you should get hold of Herb's "solo" era CLASSICS disk...now out of print but probably still findable. It has the best of the post-Brass period except "Coco Loco" which is one of my all-time Herb favorites.

Track list:
Route 101 (from Fandango)
Rise (from Rise)
Red Hot (remix, from Blow Your Own Horn)
You Are The One (from Wild Romance)
Fandango (from Fandango)
Garden Party (from Blow Your Own Horn)
It's All For You (from Wild Romance)
Magic Man (from Magic Man)
Rotation (from Rise)
"8" Ball (from Wild Romance)
Street Life (from Rise)
Maniac (from Bullish)
Bullish (from Bullish)
Beyond (from Beyond)

I never thought "Fandango" would be so liked. It's not even in my top 10- That's what makes this interesting. I saw the Fandango tour, didn't really match other live Herb shows, imho..

The best live concert I saw, and I've seen quite a few-was a 1975 San Diego show during the "Coney Island" period- maybe it was the proximity to Tijuana- but that show was a epic performance. It was at the San Diego Civic- and there was an actual Tijuana contingent. Magic, man!

Many years ago, I subscribed to a magazine called Stereo Review. There was a section in that magazine that contained reviews of various new releases. I am very certain I remember a review of Fandango at the time it was released.

I seem to recall a comment to the effect that this album was like Herb returning to his roots; a more Tijuana Brass sound and style than he had recorded for a while.

I think that is one of the reasons why I like the album. It is a little reminiscent of the Tijuana Brass concept.

The other reason I like Fandango is that the trumpet sound that was heard on certain 1960s albums - from SOTB to WNML - has returned on this album. The trumpet is resonant, clear, clean; bright, bold, big, and brassy. Up front and commanding. No muted, muffled, small, restricted, or airy tone. Just some great playing with a great sound.

I like that - it is what I admire most about Herb Alpert as a trumpet player - his tone. That is any trumpet player's greatest asset - tone.

Time to respin Fandango-thru 2008 ears!

I was thinking if I could only listen to one artist for the rest of my life- hands down- It would be HERB ALPERT. That is the ultimate compliment I suppose.

An ad for FANDANGO that is often on sale at eBay:

FandangoAd.jpg

Harry

Steven J. Gross said:
Most of the TJB albums are so exquisite- they can't even be rated.

I agree... And if we add a "poll" which would be "in the lead"...???

Dave

--Also wondering if there are other A&M Stars who, too, we should vote for our Ultimate Best Album on... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom