• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Look To Your Dreams; Single Version...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Does anyone know if the single version of "Look To Your Dreams" is available, without the piano tag ending? I have just about ever Carpenters CD, compilation and box set known to man and was hoping to finally come across this without having to locate a 45. :confused: -Chris

All of the CDs I have are the long version featuring the piano outro. Though I have the 45 of "Make Believe It's Your First Time", it's a promo version with the A-side on both sides (both stereo). It came in the stock picture sleeve which lists :Look To Your Dreams", but it doesn't give a timing to give a clue as to whether or not it was shortened.

Harry
...digging, online...

I have the single version on 45 w/ picture sleeve. The 45 Version has: Make Believe/Look to Your Dreams.

The label clocks the single version at 4:28 & does not have the piano tag ending.

The new Treasures 2 CD Set I just got has this song on 2nd disc last song time is 5:09.

I'm not sure the single version is on CD now that I think of it.

I always thought the extended piano ending always made me think & linger more on looking to the future, that's what I feel.

Interesting too that a song as strong as this, that Karen never forgot about it, it must have been in the back of her mind, too bad she never got to see it released to the public.

I love this song!!!! :love:

Maybe Richard hasn't seen any worthwhile releasing it while the LP version is available for use just as he hadn't with the Solitaire case :confused:

We should write to him to talk him into putting it out on cd!

OH! I have dreams of just going to Richard's house and meeting him and going through his collection. Just imagine what he has: music, cars, and memorabillia :!:

Just imagine all the rare stuff that we haven't heard :!:

There is no single version of "Look To Your Dreams".The piano ending may have been cut on certain albums due to time constraints,but it's still the original version.a "single version" is one that is specifically edited or remixed for radio airplay.

mr J. said:
There is no single version of "Look To Your Dreams".The piano ending may have been cut on certain albums due to time constraints, but it's still the original version.a "single version" is one that is specifically edited or remixed for radio airplay.

Then I guess what's on Chris' 45 doesn't really exist.

Harry
...looking for logic, online...

I remember reading in a Downey Fan Club Newsletter that this is the LAST song Karen saw thru to complete production. For that reaon the song is sentimental to me. I feel that the piano tag at the end of the song, sadly and poignantly, paints Richard alone and lonely for his sister. Just the emotion in the "tag" moves me and I find it heart-wreching. On the back cover of the album, Richard wrote of Karen's passing and how he's left to go it "solo". This is one of the moments where I feel compassion for him. I believe that HIS loss was a shattering blow to him and I'm quite certain that he must possess a deeper grief than even the most ardent fan (me) could ever experience.

Look To Your Dreams,

Jeff

I am pretty sure the the piano "tag" was an overlay done in mastering, meaning Richard recorded it separately in the studio, and rather than go in and entirely remix the song, one WITH piano at end, and one WITHOUT, he just stuck crossfaded the tag during post production. I could be wrong. I have heard from many sources that there is a version without the "tag" so to speak...Hmmmm -Chris

I remember the very first time I heard this song. My husband was out of work at the time. The song seemed to have special significance for us. I still get a little teary eyed when I listen to it. I guess each one of us can relate how a song can mean so much at a certain time in their life.

Marilyn,
reminiscing

Chris May, I also agree with you, I feel that the "tag" was added on later by Richard.

Jeff, that was well described & I agree with you also.

As a side note, had the "tag" been actually apart of the song that Karen recorded at that time, then wouldn't the 45 single have read, "edited version"

It's this that also leads me to believe that Richard added this after Karen passed away.

...who listened to this song again in my car on the way home from work from the "treasures set, online....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom