• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Make Believe-Solo Version vs Richard's Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Everyone here knows that Karen recorded this song twice. But what I just realized tonight (ok i'm slow :D) is the solo album version is shortened. Karen does not sing the the "Bridge"

If you look at the lyric booklet on Voice of the Heart CD, you will see a bridge that starts & ends, "So close your eyes & hold me close.........And it might never end"

Karen never sings this on the solo album version. Wonder why this bridge was left off?

Interesting how Richard added this bridge & made the song over 4:00 minutes in length vs the solo album version being only 3:12 min. Would this have been the single released for her solo album?

I swear I can hear the "ache" in Karen's vocals come through in her solo version of this track. It gives me goosebumps. :)

I don't know about the bridge but I would like to say that I like the Solo version better than Richard's. Karen is so more intimate in this version :!: :wink:

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
If you look at the lyric booklet on Voice of the Heart CD, you will see a bridge that starts & ends, "So close your eyes & hold me close.........And it might never end"

Karen never sings this on the solo album version. Wonder why this bridge was left off?

The bridge may not have existed when Karen recorded her solo album. I have the original sheet music, dated 1977, from when Bobby Vinton recorded the song, and it doesn't contain the bridge. I suspect that it was added later, possibly at Richard's request.

Murray

Maybe it's me (and I'm sure to get shot down in flames here :sad: ), but I never liked the solo version. I think Karen is ever so slightly ahead of the piano in this version, which sort of jars with me when I listen to it. This is especially apparent in the last line,

'and I'll make believe it's mine'

she sounds like she's trying to hurry the pianist along!! Surprising, given that she was a drummer and in that respect was as solid as a metronome. I don't hear this trend on any other song she sang, so maybe it was a conscious decision on hers or Phil Ramone's part.

I'm also a sucker for Richard's orchestration, so the re-record wins hands down every time for me!!

Stephen

Well while I love both versions ....I favour Karen's Solo version with Phil Ramone....had more songs and performances of this standard been found ....the Solo Album would have been stronger all round :shock:

Richard asked the writers for the Bridge ...and this makes the song more varied.

Also Richard actually rearranging / recording version of Solo project song plus his stated desire to complete Something's Missing undermines the charge continually levelled against Richard that he hated this project ..... :shock:

Sure Richard's main beef is that Karen should have been undergoing treatment for her eating disorders rather than exhausting herself on a major new recording project....Solo ventures could come later for both Karen and Richard ..... :confused:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom