• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Matador Herb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I just an album in the mail today of one of those National Guard promos that featured an interview with Herb plus about 8 songs. This was done in 1966. During the last segment of the interview Herb mentions that he did a brief matador gig. The group was in Mexico City in early '66 and were at a restaurant/cantina place. The owner recognized Herb and asked if he'd like to try his hand at bullfighting. Herb said no, but after downing a few margaritas he decided to give it a try. They went to this one place nearby where there were midsize bulls. Herb got a few pointers about using the cape and went about it for 20 minutes. He said it was fun but a lot of work. :bandit:

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Urbie Green & 21 Trombones - Rock, Soul & Jazz

I have a couple of Guard Session albums that feature interviews with Sergio. Some interesting stuff. Tell me, was Skip Henderson the host of the Alpert sessions as well? He was great. I remember Sergio telling a story about Brasilian percussion. "It's either in you or it's not...a Brasilian can play a coffee can to knock your sox off!" :wink:

Jon

...who loves those old Guard Sessions, online...

brasil_nut said:
I have a couple of Guard Session albums that feature interviews with Sergio. Some interesting stuff. Tell me, was Skip Henderson the host of the Alpert sessions as well?

No, it was a guy named Martin Block, who used to interview Glenn Miller a lot.

Capt. Bacardi
...just home from work, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom