• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

May I introduce to you..

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmonet

I would like to introduce you to the real me. I am glad to be amoung other audiophiles. I have been collecting records and music since before many of you were probably born. I am an artist and graduated from Parson's School of Design in New York. I was an illustrator, but now teach and love to paint fine art. Mostly watercolors. I am well known for my jazz history series. I plan to do a number of A&M artists soon because I have been collecting most of them since Herb Alpert had just gotten over puberty. I want to point out to many of you, that my knowlege of music may be not as great as some of you, I am an encyclopedia of almost very genre of music except operatic librettos. For example, I underline I, have the original A&M Holiday Christmas LP with the most awesome version of Mel Torme's Christmas Song by Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66. This is NOT mentioned on the SM discography, but is unique to any of the other examples because it is on no other compilation I know of. I love the fact that A&M gave us unique recordings through the genius of Creed Taylor and will cherish my mint condition A&M discs. I hope to interact with many of you in the future. Thanks for having me in your forum.

All I can say is:

:tongue:artyhat: Happy Holidays and Welcome Aboard! :tongue:artyhat:

(We won't pick on you too much, until we know ya better. :D )

Welcome to the Forum, gmonet! You'll find that most of us hardcore A&M'ers are well aware of that magical Christmas album that A&M released back in the '60s called Something Festive. I am particularly fond of that "Christmas Song" by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, and know painfully well that it's never been available anywhere else.

I remember pestering my father to run us over to the nearest BF Goodrich store to buy that album when it was new.

Harry
...an original Something Festive-er, online...

I won't give away too much on Something Festive yet (it's next week's Album Of The Week, which I may pop online tomorrow)...but i never knew it existed until I stumbled over it in the dollar bin a Solo Records in Birmingham. The A&M logo and 'rust' album cover caught my eye...then once I saw who was on it, I picked it up. Since then, I've somehow acquired at least three additional copies. These seem to be readily available out there, so for anyone who hasn't discovered it yet, it's easy enough to find, and not expensive. One reason I like to buy A&M items--they're usually not very expensive for the more common items, and the rarer ones are worth the hunt!

I've had a sealed copy of "Something Festive" for a couple of years. Did not realize that Sergio Mendes' rare song was on it. Time to crack it open and take a listen!

I finally heard SOMETHIGN FESTIVE for the first time last year. I was most looking forward to the Sergio Mendes tune, and I didn't like it too much. On that song, Lani does that jazz-type vocal thing where the vocals tend to lag behind the melody being played by the instruments. I'm sure there's a term for this, but I don't know what it is. I don't mind that once in a while but she does it thru almost the whole thing! Considering all the great things they could've done with an uptempo tune, I was pretty disappointed in this one.

But hey, can't expect them to please every fan every time!

steve gross said:
I've had a sealed copy of "Something Festive" for a couple of years. Did not realize that Sergio Mendes' rare song was on it. Time to crack it open and take a listen!

It's a great record. (Don't pay any attention to Mike B. - he must've been having a bad day when he heard it! :confused: ) Certainly worth opening the seal for. Besides, that record is pretty common, so even a sealed copy isn't worth all that much - it's what's INSIDE that's valuable!

Harry
NP: SOMETHING FESTIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom