Meeting John Pisano

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

Having just returned from a great week in L.A. (well, everything was great but the weather..) with lots of wonderful music and interesting and frutiful meetings, the event that is of interest for this forum took place last Sunday on the restaurant Galletto's in Thousand Oaks. John Pisano was playing with Jim Fox on guitar and his wife Jeanne on vocals.
The Galletto's is a very nice restaurant, though somewhat "off Broadway", situated in a shopping mall and not so easy to find. Hearing John play with duet colleague Jim Fox, however, was a real treat. Mr. Pisano has really perfected the duo format as can be heard e.g. on his "Among Friends" album on Pablo from 1995. The two guitar players presented world class guitar jazz, taking care of beautiful bass lines, melodious solos and refined accompaniment all through the evening. Jeanne is a very good vocalist with a soft, pleasant voice. At times she would remind me of the swedish songstress Alice Babs. I especially enjoyed her renditions of latin classics such as "One Note Samba" and "Quiet Nights".
My wife and I was sitting at the bar, very close to the small stage and in the first break I introduced myself to Mr. Pisano telling him that I was a big fan and that we were from Norway. His reaction was very nice. He seemed genuinely pleased that we were there and in the next set he introduced us to the rest of the audience. Jeanne told us from the stage that we shouldn't leave because she had something to give us, and John quickly added: "It's a bill for tonight.." In fact, gentle musical humour was an important part of the performance among the three on stage. In one of the final numbers, a blues, John eloquently put in a a musical quote from "Slick". In our conversation between sets we of course had to go into the Herb and TJB connection, and John having recently returned from a tour in Germany had obseverved that the "Herb sound" was still very much alive and told me that "So What's New" had been one of the popular numbers that he had played for the German audiences.
After having recieved the "Flying Pisanos" album and made an exchange of e-mail adresses, one of the definitive highlights of my L.A. adventure came to an end.

- greetings from the north (warmer than L.A.) -

Martin

Martin, thanks for that wonderful report. I'm sure I stand in a crowd of envious John Pisano fans here! If I ever get out to southern California again, I intend to try to make one of Mr. Pisano's performances.

I'm reminded that some months ago, someone posted a news item here having to do with John Pisano and Herb Alpert partnering to open a restaurant or night club in L.A. Is this still going to happen? Did Mr. Pisano happen to mention anything about it in your conversation with him?

Mike A

I'm looking forward to seeing John Pisano next time I get to L.A., as well as Pete Jolly, who plays at Spazio on one or two nights a month.

I'm reminded that some months ago, someone posted a news item here having to do with John Pisano and Herb Alpert partnering to open a restaurant or night club in L.A. Is this still going to happen

I did not ask him about that, in fact I didn't know anything about it. He was very eager to mention his guitar nights however, it seems to be quite an event for guitarplayers.

/I'm looking forward to seeing John Pisano next time I get to L.A., as well as Pete Jolly, who plays at Spazio on one or two nights a month

I have told him about the A & M Corner. Hopefully he will drop by for a visit.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

John's "Among Friends" would be one of my favorite guitar albums even if John never played a note with Herb. What a class act! Martin,you were lucky and yet a version of that scene goes on regularly in a common strip mall. Wonder of wonders.... Mac

[/you were lucky and yet a version of that scene goes on regularly in a common strip mall. Wonder of wonders....
Which is exactly why I chose L.A. as the place to spend my grant. I know nowhere else in the world where you can hear world class musicians every night really close up in clubs like Catalina and La Vele. In addition to John Pisano, I heard Don Grusin with my friend Justo Almario on sax and the Yellowjackets and I went to gospelartist and pastor Andraé Crouch's church in San Fernando Valley where I not only experienced a music filled service, but also had to bring a greeting to the congregation on the pastor's order...

- greetings from the north -
Martin

Martin: where did you see Yellowjackets at? Were they at Catalina's during your week there?

I agree about the music scene. I'm lucky to go out to a couple of music events each year up here in Detroit. I looked through a weekend paper in L.A. when I was there five years ago, and it was mind boggling to see how many musicians I recognized were playing at smaller clubs and theaters out there. IN fact, a friend of mine was trying to arrange for a sitter (which didn't pan out, unfortunately) so we could go see Kevin Eubanks at a nearby club.

Yes, I heard them on Friday night at Catalina Bar & Grill. They were absolutely great. It was the late show so I didn't approach them afterwards, but the playing was fabulous.

- greetings from the bright north -
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom