• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Merry Go Round release in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Revola, who released the Roger Nichols CD recently, is releasing on April 25th a compilation called "Listen, Listen" by the Merry Go Round:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007XTO5M/amcorne-20

Tracks:

1. Live
2. Time Will Show The Wiser
3. On Your Way Out
4. Gonna Fight The War
5. Had To Run Around
6. We're In Love
7. You're A Very Lovely Woman
8. Where Have You Been All Of My Life
9. Early In The Morning
10. Low Down (Kato)
11. Clown's No Good
12. Gonna Leave You Alone
13. Mother Earth
14. Pardon Me
15. Textile Factory
16. Someone Died
17. Come Ride, Come Ride
18. Let's All Sing
19. Holly Park
20. Mary Will You Take My Hand
21. Man He Was
22. In Days Of Old
23. Til The Day After
24. Saturday Night
25. Time Will Show The Wiser (45 Version)
26. She Laughed Loud
27. Listen, Listen
28. Missing You
29. Highway

Of all the cult West Coast 60's groups, perhaps the most talked about and referenced over the last few years have been The Merry Go Round...though bizarrely, the last reissue of their work was a Rhino vinyl best of in 1984!

Boy genius Emmit Rhodes left the drum seat in The Palace Guard to front his own band recruited from the disbanding Gene Clark Group among others; signing to A&M they quickly scored two hits ‘Live’ and ‘You're A Very Lovely Woman’, and a superb album… attaining Emmit covers by such luminaries as Fairport Convention, before themselves disbanding as Emmit became more and more interested in recording in his home studio than touring.

They had, though, cut a large quantitiy of material and when Emmitt became briefly a solo star with his home recorded albums on Dunhill, some of this stuff was released by A&M, but here for the first time ever, is a comprehensive anthology of the work of this most enigmatic of LA pop groups; one whose links to Gene Clark, The Grass Roots, Paul McCartney, Curt Boettcher and Herb Alpert (on whose 1967 TV special they featured) emerge in the detailed notes.

A FIRST EVER superb CD collection of this enigmatic, much quoted and collectable band and wonderfully remastered in the usual Rev-Ola style...

Lavish artwork with interviews with band members / others, memorabilia and unseen photos… all that jazz… and is a must for all fans of west coast 1960's pop and all those who'd like to hear what collectors and the current crop of US bands are going on about…

Great news.
This appears to contain MGR's LP 132/4132 and Emmitt Rhodes AMERICAN DREAM (SP 4254) along with some bonus trax, including "Saturday Night" (omitted from later pressings of SP 4254).
Definitely worth having.
JB

I've never been able to find a good, clean stereo copy of the MGR LP and, also, I once passed up a pristine mono copy for $12, thinking I'd find the stereo easily enough. Didn't happen, at least at reasonable prices. Lucked out though--a buddy in Nashville did some needle drops for me, and w/o my knowing it, he'd sent along a needle drop of a Dave Clark 5 stereo "best of" from the UK, as well as a stereo MGR from a white-label promo. That's about as good as it gets! :thumbsup: He's a Rhodes fan as well--I'm sure he'll pick this one up!

A&M's Beatles: The Merry-Go-Round sounds very much like the early to mid-period Fab-Four!

...And Emmitt Rhodes is just as much a creative force behind the group and on his own as Paul McCartney was! (right down to his homemade stuff on Dunhill/ABC)

Hope I can someday get this "Complete Works"-set...

Dave

This is one I will definitely be getting! All Emitt Rhodes' material is worth having (well, the last two on ABC/Dunhill are just so-so).

--Mr Bill

"You're a Very Lovely Woman" has always been one of my favourite singles (Jeff - one for the show, methinks!) and I'm looking forward to hearing an album full of the band's excellent music.

Off to order now.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom