🎷 AotW: CTI Milt Jackson: Sunflower (CTI Records CTI 6024 / CTI 8004)

All the CTI releases
1689820168572.pngMilt Jackson: Sunflower

CTI Records CTI 6024
Released 1973
(Cover shown at right)

Reissued in 1979 as CTI 8004
(Cover shown below)

A1: For Someone I Love / 10:08
A2: What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life? / 6:55
B1: People Make The World Go Round / 8:23
B2: Sunflower / 8:50

Alto Flute – George Marge, Phil Bodner, Romeo Penque
Bass – Ron Carter
Bass Clarinet – George Marge
Cello – Alan Shulman, Charles McCracken, George Ricci
Clarinet – George Marge
Conductor – Don Sebesky
Design [Album] – Bob Ciano
Drums – Billy Cobham
Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder
English Horn – George Marge, Phil Bodner, Romeo Penque
Flugelhorn – Freddie Hubbard
Flute – Phil Bodner
Guitar – Jay Berliner
Harp – Margaret Ross
Mastered By – VAN GELDER*
Oboe – Romeo Penque
Percussion – Ralph MacDonald
Photography By [Album Photograph] – Pete Turner (4)
Photography By [Liner Photograph] – K. Abe*
Piano – Herbie Hancock
Piccolo Flute – Phil Bodner
Producer – Creed Taylor
Trumpet – Freddie Hubbard
Vibraphone – Milt Jackson
Violin – Charles Libove, David Nadien, Elliot Rosoff, Emanuel Green, Gene Orloff, Irving Spice, Joe Malin, Max Ellen, Paul Gershman

Recorded December, 1972 at Van Gelder Studios

1689820363851.png
(Reissue cover for CTI 8004)

Amazon product ASIN B00FASBB6O

Last edited:
This is a really nice album. And atypical for Milt Jackson, given his earlier recordings prior to CTI. Milt, Freddie and Herbie all get some nice space to work in. And the ace rhythm section of Billy Cobham and Ron Carter is a treat.

One notable absence here is Hubert Laws--this album could be on a really short list of CTI albums he didn't participate in!

I added this to my playlist almost immediately after you posted it last week, thank you, @Rudy ! I was thinking about getting a CD format although I couldn't figure out on the link, is the bonus track SKJ only offered via Qobuz?

Qobuz has the CTI 40th Anniversary Edition version of the release, but there are other CD versions available (some may be imports). The Discogs link would list them all. I can look more when I get back home to a computer.

I appreciate it, but that's not necessary.I just took a gander on Discogs and on second thought, I will be thrilled with the one on your link. This one is a bargain. A couple of of these are selling for $199 plus! I can't wait for it to arrive.

This is the version which Qobuz and others (like YouTube Music) are streaming, the 40th Anniversary edition with the bonus track "SKJ":

It is also the most recent US release (2011).

There were other CD versions released in Japan (2013 Blu-Spec version, and 2017 UHQ version). The prior US release was Legacy ZK 65131, from 1997, in a Digipak.

I have a CD copy of this I don't remember how long ago I bought it maybe sometime in the mid 2000s during my mass CD buying sprees but I remember really enjoying it it's now in my computer I'll have to listen to it more often

Back
Top Bottom