• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

MISSING PROMO FILMS / VIDEOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ

Always surprising that many of Carpenters classic singles had no promo films / videos produced to support their release and to be exported to other A&M markets outside USA :o

After Close To You ....there was no film for WOJB ! :shock:

Also Missing :

For All We Know
Goodbye To Love
Sing
Yesterday Once More
I Won't Last A Day Without You :confused:

You would think either A&M promo staffers , Carpenters managers or Richard & Karen would have discussed actively making films to support these key releases ....more omissions followed ...... :confused:

Richard could compile TV / Concert films of these missing promos on a future Carpenters DVD / Video and perhaps surprise the fans with a few unissued / very rare films :cool:

Peter

The day karen passed she was all over the news. Several stations did retrospectives. One in particular ran a series of videos. The usual things...Rainy Day's...at one point there was a clip of WOJB. Karen and Richard were high on this hill or mountain near a cliff or something. Lip-synching the tune. I had never ever seen this before. I haven't seen it since. With every DVD I keep hoping that it will surface. It was cool. Kinda like the out-doorsy feel of the Ticket video. It was some type of promo. Maybe other's saw this too?

Jeff

The video of Karen & Richard on the hill singing WOJB is from the "London Bridge Special" I think. Perhaps Peter knows for sure.

Peter, I always wished they had done a promo film for "Solitaire". It could have been done so beautifully with Karen and her lovely look from that time period.

Chris

I had thought "Ticket To Ride" video was promo, but it was from TV appearance. Is it possible that other songs which Peter mentioned are created from TV appearances for DVD?

Didn't Karen and Richard appear on "We've Only Just Begun" on Top of the Pops site? There is a clip on the site but we cannot see Karen on the clip.

Sakura

One other key single -#1 on all major USA charts :

Top Of The World :shock:

-Performance on GOLD/YESTERDAY ONCE MORE compilation was from 1976 TV Special .....

Solitaire was released Summer 1975 and Karen was already far too thin and not looking good health wise ....so sadly doubtful Carpenters would have completed promo film for any single issued at this time :sad:

Believe UK Top Of The Pops performance was either an imported film from USA or UK A&M compiled track as Carpenters first appreared live on TOTP in 1971 :confused:

Peter

Ref : WOJB Hill Top performance .....does sound like the film from London Bridge 1972 guest appearance .....this is a great special as all filmed on Arizona locations -well away from usual TV studios ! :)

Peter

Here's a quote from the Carpenters Fan Club newsletter of February 1985:

Q: How many promotional films were made, and of what songs?

A: Love is Surrender
Close to You
Superstar
Rainy Days and Mondays
Hurting Each Other
Please Mr. Postman (filmed at Disneyland)
Only Yesterday
I Need to Be In Love
Calling Occupants
All You Get from Love is a Love Song
There's a Kind of Hush
Beechwood 4-5789
Those Good Old Dreams
Touch Me When We're Dancing

Eleven of those are among the fifteen selections featured in the Carpenter's video, "Yesterday Once More."

We know, of course, that "Love is Surrender" and "I Need to Be In Love" didn't make the video (although "I Need to Be In Love" has since turned up on Asian versions of the YESTERDAY ONCE MORE DVD). Also, "Close to You" on the video is a clip from MAKE YOUR OWN KIND OF MUSIC, not the promotional film.

Of course, we know to take fan club newsletter information with a grain of salt, but that's the "official" word on promotional films...

David

PJ said:
Solitaire was released Summer 1975 and Karen was already far too thin and not looking good health wise ....so sadly doubtful Carpenters would have completed promo film for any single issued at this time :sad:

That didn't stop them from making the "There's a Kind of Hush" film in which Karen looks horribly emaciated in the strapless top...

David

davidgra said:
That didn't stop them from making the "There's a Kind of Hush" film in which Karen looks horribly emaciated in the strapless top...

As thin as she was in that video, she still looked healthier than she did in the three videos from "Made In America"... :sad:

Murray

I am sentimental about the MADE IN AMERICA videos. Yet I seldom watch them unless I want to be depressed. Just recalling them is enough for upset. Oh brother...

Jeff

P.S. What can we do to surface WOJB Arizona video?

djn said:

This complete video was included in VH1's "8-Track Flashback" program (Carpenters episode hosted by Suzanne Sommers), which aired a few years ago. Perhaps VH1 could be persuaded to show the program again?

I don't have the complete program, but I'm pretty sure that someone sent me a copy of the WOJB video. I'll have a look in the archives...

Murray
...who hopes he can find it...

That would be cool if we could see that video of WOJB vid. Don't think I have seen it.

I enjoy watching the MIA videos, it is hard though because this was close to the end. Everytime I watch them I can't help but think that she did her solo album just prior to that & everything she was going through & the rejection she got, then decided to shelf the project but never really getting over the rejection. For some reason I can't help but link these two moments together when I see the MIA videos. Karen was wearing her hair shorter for her solo project & then almost the same style into MIA, so maybe that does it for me too. Maybe I would feel differently if Karen had recorded some official videos from the solo album so I could keep these 2 moments separate. I just wonder if Karen was thinking about her solo sessions while she was doing MIA? Just guessing.

Murray said:
djn said:

This complete video was included in VH1's "8-Track Flashback" program (Carpenters episode hosted by Suzanne Sommers), which aired a few years ago. Perhaps VH1 could be persuaded to show the program again?

I don't have the complete program, but I'm pretty sure that someone sent me a copy of the WOJB video. I'll have a look in the archives...

Murray
...who hopes he can find it...

I bought my copy of the "London Bridge Special" (Arizona WOJB video) on Ebay a few years ago. There are small "skits" of K&R interacting with Tom Jones and the other guests. The show itself was pretty bad --lol.

Joe P.

David[/quote]

"Hush" film clip on Yesterday Once More / Gold is from Japanese TV concert Spring 1976 and included by Richard in 1985 after Karen's passing for some reason the official video was not used ? :confused:

For later Specials / Songs -Richard has to include film performances of Karen during her worst period ....but do agree "Hush" is one film which is quite shocking to fans :shock:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom