• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Missing Sergio Albums

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnW

Hello,
Could I get a brief synopsis of the following albums that are missing from my collection? I'm wondering if the songs are new to me or if I might already have them under a different album name.

Live at the Expo '70
In Concert
Night and Day
Horizonte Aberto
Summer Champion
Brazilica!

Horizonte Alberto is a Brazilian masterpiece, definitely worth finding. Probably my favorite Sergio album overall. Recorded for a Brazilian audience after Sergio left Los Angeles (the first cut, translated, is "Goodbye America")

I'll have to get my info together, but I can tell you quickly that "Brazilica" is NOT a Sergio album - it's a various artist compilation with one Mendes track on it.

LIVE AT EXPO '70 is of course a live album with recordings not repeated elsewhere, even if the songs were:

What The World Needs Now/Pretty World
Going Out Of My Head
Pra Dizer Adeus (To Say Goodbye)
Daytripper
Fool On The Hill
Scarborough Fair
Norwegian Wood
Mas Que Nada
(Japanese CD Bonus track: Viola)

----------------------------------------------

IN CONCERT, another live album

Intro-Viramundo
Going Out Of My Head
Girl From Ipanema
Carnival Medley: Jogo de Roda, Canto de Ubirantan, After Sunrise
Fool on The Hill
Chelsea Morning
Sometimes In Winter
Mas Que Nada
The Look Of Love

-----------------------------------------------

NIGHT AND DAY is a compilation

Watch What Happens
So Many Stars
Wave
Tristeza
Night And Day
Like A Lover
Roda
For Me
Cinnamon and Clove
So Danço Samba

-------------------------------------------------------

HORIZONTE ABERTO - a MUST-FIND album for any Sergio Mendes Fan

Tô Voltando
Última Batucada
Milagre
Horizonte Aberto
Aquelas Coisas Todas
Fato Consumado
Adeus América
O Mar é Meu Chão (The Sea Is My Soil)
Desenredo

---------------------------------------------------

I do not own the album called SUMMER CHAMPION. perhaps someone else can chime in.

Harry

The Sergio Mendes song on "Brazilica" is "Zanzibar," which at that time was not available on CD anywhere else so it was a "find" at that time.

Also another vote here for HORIZONTE ABERTO; if you like Brasil '66 era, you need to find the album. It doesn't really sound like Brasil '66, but in my opinion it's easily the best overall album of his post-A&M years. Why it hasn't been reissued along with everything else is a complete mystery.

I BELIEVE was the Brazilian title of the album we know as just SERGIO MENDES, the '70s Elektra album.

IMG_3919.JPG

Harry

Wow, I've never seen that cover before.

I have just updated my list of worst Sergio album covers -- this knocks MAGIC LADY out of #1.

Is the running order on this release the same as on the US version, or is it in the order shown on the cover?

I don't know, I don't own it. Ironically, I just ran across this cover today in surfing the Web and remembered it when Ann asked her question.

I suspect that the running order is the same as the US album, but the cover used that dubious '70s practice of jumbling the titles.

Harry

I do have the pictured Brazilian pressing, but not the U.S. version. Here are the tracks in sequence. Someone will have to verify if the sequencing matches or not.

Side 1
If I Ever Lose This Heaven
Lookin' For Another Pure Love
All In Love Is Fair
Let Them Work It Out
The Trouble With Hello Is Goodbye

Side 2
Here Comes The Sun
Davy
I Believe
Someday We'll All Be Free
You Been Away Too Long

On searching my collection, I found two NIGHT AND DAY albums. One is SP 8110 - a U.S. promo compilation with 11 tracks. The second is AMLB 51032 - a U.K. (A&M Mayfair) compilation with 10 tracks. The tracks are identical, except that the U.S. album adds Mais Que Nada as the last track.

Steve - that running order is indeed different from the US version. The domestic album starts off with "Davy." Here's the listing:

1 Davy - 4:05
2 I Believe (When I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever) - 3:40
3 All in Love Is Fair - 4:26
4 Let Them Work It Out - 3:07
5 Here Comes the Sun - 3:47

6 If I Ever Lose This Heaven - 3:05
7 Lookin' for Another Pure Love - 3:37
8 Someday We'll All Be Free - 4:13
9 You Been Away Too Long - 4:09
10 The Trouble With Hello Is Goodbye - 3:59

Steven J. Gross said:
Re: The live albums...I've heard they exist but - How do they sound? Worthwhile? I never hear any comments about them...

There is nothing secret about them - they are regular A&M (overseas) releases. If you are truly a Sergio Mendes fan, you would want to have them in your collection. We would really be lucky if there were live TJB albums that sounded as good! :D

How do they sound?
They sound OK, but Brasil '66/'77 was an act that truly was at its best in the studio. The vocals don't sound near as good on the live albums as they do on the studio albums. That's just my opinion -- the band itself is cookin' on those albums. So if you are a big vocals fan, you might be disappointed,

Steven J. Gross said:
How do they sound?

I have "In Concert" and "Expo 70" on vinyl and I love them both. Obviously less polished than the studio LPs, but the band were really on form.
Well worth checking out if you find copies of either...

I always wondered what the "Primal Roots" set would have sounded like in a live setting... :?:

Don't forget the third Sergio Mendes live album from Japan that's been released a number of times under a lot of different titles.

I've heard of it under the titles of GOLD DISC and CARNIVAL: LIVE IN JAPAN, and I think I recall it coming in a 2-LP set in one edition that I don't have.

Harry

Summer Champion is the Japanese version of Summer Dream and appeared on an Alfa 45 along with the Japanese version of Magic Lady.

AnnW said:
Most of the tracks listed on Horizonte Aberto are on Alegria. Are they different versions?

ALEGRIA was essentially the same as HORIZONTE ABERTO, and if memory serves, it had a different track order, and obviously a different title. The tracks were the same versions on both.

Harry

Trevor said:
ALEGRIA has an english version of the song Horizonte Aberto: Nowadays sung by Gracinha.

Really? I didn't know that. I've only ever heard the HORIZONTE ABERTO album.

Great - something else to track down...

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom