• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Mountain, with Leslie West & Corky Laing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
A week ago tonight I returned to Nashville for a small club concert by Mountain, with original members Leslie West (guitar) and Corky Laing (drums). Another original member, the late Felix Pappalardi, was an A&M solo artist ( CREATION SP 4586 & DON'T WORRY MA SP 4729) in the mid-70s prior to his 1983 domestic shooting death.
The current trio includes Richie Scarlett, filling out Pappalardi's former role as bassist.
There was a nice view of the skyline from the deck of the second-floor venue, which also has a pool room and a temporary tattoo parlor. A local band, Plastic Rulers, opened.
During the performance Laing jettisoned several drum sticks, first hoisting them into the air and catching them; then tossing them into the audience. About 100 fans were present.
Here's what was played:

Blood on the Sun (from West's first album)
Never in My Life (from CLIMBING)
The Sea
Crossroads
Blowing in the Wind (West singing solo with acoustic guitar)
86530 (a prisoner's poem set to music by West)
Corky's extended solo
Mutant X
Goin' Down
Nantucket Sleighride (title cut from '70 LP, with excerpts of "Beat It" and "Paint it Black")
Mississippi Queen (as encore).

Having missed a performance by them eight years ago due to a cancellation, it was especially great to see them at last. Not included in the set, but reportedly played at the previous night's Atlanta show, was a personal favorite, "Theme From an Imaginary Western."

JB

Good Show, Jim! :agree: And this "Mountain Reunion" actually appeared a few times at a small club near me, too! Though the one which tended to have "poor sound"... :help:

And if I recall, Felix Pappalardi's wife hid his body after he was shot for quite a long time, before anyone missed him and she was taken into police custody for shooting him. Bizarre! :scared: :shake:

Dave

...I once had the Don't Worry, Ma LP by the late Pappalardi, myself... :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom