Museum of TV & Radio Carpenters at Christmas screening

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

This past Saturday, I traveled to the Beverly Hills Museum of Television and Radio and attended the screening of “The Carpenters at Christmas”.

As a member of the museum, I have seen several screenings and seminars at their facility. They always do things first rate, and this was no exception.

The daily screenings they have at the museum are done with little fanfare. They have a 150 seat theater and show programs all day long. For the Saturday afternoon screening, there were about 30 people in attendance.

Watching the Carpenters TV special with a group was very different. The audience laughed through many of the “70’s style” production numbers. The costumes and dancers alone in the opening of “Sleigh ride” brought hoots from the crowd. (even as a K&R fan, some of the shots are very funny in retrospect). I think many people were there for the camp aspect of a 70’s holiday special. The crowd would applaud after every number. The special holds up very well on a musical level. The songs K&R perform from the “Christmas portrait” LP are beautiful. Even the great duet Karen does with Kristy McNichol on “Christmas” is charming. Most of the corny dialogue is forgettable. While Karen was a natural actress, Richard seemed uncomfortable with his lines. The great Spike Jones closer of “My New Years resolution” was a great ending to the special. The audience seemed to really enjoy it.

The special was shown on a large video screen. The quality was perfect and the sound was great. There were banners promoting the Carpenters screening throughout the museum. The museum also has a library type feature where you can scan for any artist in their data bank, and then check out a show you’d like to see. They have several Carpenters appearances that you can view in their library.

Watching the great quality of the special makes me hungry for a Carpenters Christmas DVD. By just pulling the musical performances from their two holiday specials, you could create a very special holiday present for fans. Sonny & Cher have had great success this season with a collection from their holiday shows. I can understand why Richard might not want the entire special released on DVD, but the music is exceptional.

Thank you to the Museum for recognizing the quality of the Carpenters Christmas special and their television legacy.

Thanks Jeff for the review. 150 seats and only 30 attended, I guess there are not that many people into watching the Carpenters at Christmas. I guess as a fan I'm just obsessed. If I lived within the city where these are being shown I would be attending every show just to see it on the big screen. I don't know maybe I'm just too much of a fan or maybe I'm just a nerd.

A friend and I went to the NYC Christmas special screening last Friday. The screening room was smaller than the one in CA. I think there were about 50 seats (mostly all filled) and the projection screen was seven or eight foot square (perhaps a little larger). The audience was quiet throughout (well, except for a couple of small children at the very start and they left with their mother when it was obvious they could keep still for the duration). I'm sure all in the room were relieved. We also caught the tail end of an Elvis special that was being screened just before the Carps show and it was great.

I went to the screening of The Carpenters at Christmas in NYC this past Saturday (12/11) and the auditorium I saw it in definitely had more than 50 seats—it appeared to be more like 200—and the screen was considerably larger than 7-8 feet. Perhaps you saw it in a different room than I did Richiebro. When I was there it was in the large, main auditorium (the MT&R Theatre, I think it's called) on the lower level. In any event, there were maybe 40 people in attendance which was about the same number as for the show before and after. The museum wasn't exactly overflowing with people that day.

Having never seen this particular special, it was really a treat to finally view it. And to see it on a big screen with a good sound system was especially fun. I got chills every time Karen sang as her low notes seemed to vibrate through my body. Like Jeff, I was struck by how comfortable Karen was as an actress. Whereas Richard appeared somewhat wooden and forced some of the time, Karen seemed natural, warm, and completely believable, just the same as when she sang. The highlight for me was the segment in which she performed "The Christmas Song" in her living room. Watching her hug a stuffed koala bear as she curled up on her couch alongside the fireplace really pulled the ol' heartstrings.

The museum also has in its archives the premiere episode of Make Your Own Kind of Music. I requested a viewing of that afterwards. It's worth watching, although the overall quality was lowered by the silly comedy routines throughout. The Carpenters and Herb Alpert were far and away the stars of the show; none of the other guests came close (unless you count Bob Hope's cameo). Their lip-synched performance of "We've Only Just Begun" was one that I'd never seen before.

Carpenters News: VH1 is currently running a very clever promo for itself using "Sing" as the musical bed.

Tony

Hi Tony, You're right, it was a particularly slow day on Friday (at 2pm) so I guess they used one of the many screening rooms for the showing that I saw. I believe it was on the 5th floor. I did notice a large auditorium downstairs by the restrooms, but it was closed and their was just one lonely attendant sitting at a little table down there. The library archive is way cool and I can't wait to get up there again and spend some more time. However, that day I was showing a tourist around and we had to fight the masses to Rock Center to see the tree and on to Lord and Taylor window displays -- in the rain!

Jeff , Tony & all -interesting reviews & thoughts from everyone on Carpenters 1st Christmas TV Special ....:cool:

Would love to see either & ideally both Christmas Specials on the large screen with dolby sound ....have seen several BBC Specials in London ....memorable occasions ....:cool:

Sure Specials comedy material has dated ....Richard really dislikes the silly sketches & one -liners and is probably the main reason why Richard does not push for Video / DVD releases of these Specials ... :wink:

Musically of course both Specials have so many great performances plus loads of rarities that could be issued as part of Chrtistmas Box Set or bonus tracks for possible SACD album issues of both Carpenters Christmas albums ...:cool:

Karen was always a natural performer & able to clown / act around ...only later was this incorporated into live tours & concerts ... :o

While Richard was never as adaptable as Karen ....probably he appears uneasy / stiff as he did not enjoy the comic scenes ..and mainly due to his increasing health problems (not long after this Special recording Richard checked into hospital to attempt to sort out some of his health issues...) :sad:

Richard should really adapt both Specials Carpenters music performances , some rarities etc & where possible Carpenters / guest performers tracks ( where clearance & royalties issues can be agreed without delay) into Carpenters Christmas Box Set & companion DVD release for 2005 / 2006 issue.... :D

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom