• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

My Carpenters compilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno

If I could release a Best Of Carpenters Compilation, it would look like this:

Disc One

1. We've Only Just Begun (remix)
2. Baby It's You (remix)
3. Reason To Believe (remix)
4. Close To You (remix)
5. Superstar (remix, 1985)
6. Rainy Days And Mondays (remix, 1985)
7. One Love (remix)
8. For All We Know (remix)
9. A Song For You (remix)
10. Top Of the World (remix, 1973)
11. I Won't Last A Day Without You (remix)
12. Goodbye To Love (remix, 1985)
13. Yesterday Once More (remix, 1985)
14. Jambalaya (original version)
15. This Masquerade (remix)
16. Sing (remix)
17. Only Yesterday
18. Desperado
19. Please Mr.Postman (remix)
20. Solitaire

Disc Two

1. There's A Kind Of Hush (remix, 1985)
2. I Need To Be In Love (remix, 1990)
3. Sweet Sweet Smile
4. I Just Fall In Love Again
5. Those Good Old Dreams
6. Back in My Life Again
7. Touch Me When We're Dancing
8. Beechwood 4-5789
9. Now
10. Sailing On The Tide
11. Ordinary Fool
12. Calling Your Name Again
13. Lovelines (remix)
14. When I Fall In Love
15. If I Had You (remix)
16. Where Do I Go From Here?
17. Making Love in The Afternoon
18. Make Believe It's Your First Time (Solo Version)
18. The Rainbow Connection
19. Look To Your Dreams
20. Karen's Theme

While I was putting this list together, I noticed, how difficult it is to make the choices for a good compilation!

Bruno
on a Saturday evening in freezing Germany

Bruno, you could kindly make clear which version you are referring to with these songs.

Disc One

17. Only Yesterday (Single 3:47 or LP4:10 or intermediate3:58)
18. Desperado (LP or remix from UK Interpretation)
20. Solitaire (Single or LP)

Disc Two

19. Look To Your Dreams (Single w/o outro or LP w/ outro)

Mitch,

Only Yesterday: intermediate version
Desperado: remix from UK Interpretations
Solitaire: difficult choice. I enjoy the single version on the new GOLD CD, but I think, I still prefer the LP version
Look To Your Dreams: with outro

MAKING LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON would sound a lot better, if Richard would remix it.

I notice, that my compilation doesn't include IT'S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME and HURTING EACH OTHER. But I was never very fond of these songs, and I was surprised, when I found out, that HURTING EACH OTHER was a big hit for them back then.

I also notice, that my compilation doesn't include HAPPY, which I always liked very much. But then there would be five songs from HORIZON, and I think, that is a bit too much.

Bruno

Personally,I prefer the ONLY YESTERDAY that clocks in at 4:10. I really enjoy the over-dubbing that this song has and to have it cut -off 20 something seconds early is a rip. The remastered series cd says OY clocks in at 4:12. They must have slowed it down when mastering...I guess.

Jeff

Bruno, thanks for your trouble. :)

I understand how you feel when it comes to Solitaire.
The LP version is just fine and still the single version has a finer touch here and there.

I'd include LTYD single version w/o outro as this song is not the last in the order to close the compilation.
Karen's Theme is perfect for the ending of this musical journey. Everytime I listen to it, its promo vid appears in my mind and it makes me thankful to KC and RC for their great gift.

Only Yesterday in between version appeared on Yesterday Once More 2 cd set for the first time if I'm not wrong. I'm curious how it came into being with an addition of a few seconds to the single version.

Jeff, I remember the first time I found it on Horizon and the choruses were really neat. I guess basically either running time is from the same track. Maybe the difference occurs due to editing. Sometimes actual playing time a bit differs from what's written on its disc or inlay.

Well don't I feel stupid? I never realized that there were so many different length versions "Only Yesterday", and it's one of my favorites. Sometimes that's the way it is with me, if an edit is good, I won't notice it.

Upon learning this news, I did some digging and comparisons on the lengths of the various "Only Yesterday" versions that I have. Here are the results sorted by length:

Code:
03:45	45 RPM Single
03:45	Singles 1969-1981 (Jp)
03:45	Yesterday Once More (Remastered)
03:46	Essential Collection
03:46	Gold (UK)
03:46	Gold (US)
03:47	By Request
03:47	Singles 1969-1981 (US)
03:49	Reminiscing (Canada)
03:49	Their Greatest Hits (Germany)
03:50	Classics Volume 2
03:50	Yesterday Once More (orig)
03:50	Yesterday Once More-LP (US)
03:57	22 Hits Of The Carpenters
03:57	Anthology ('90s/Japan)
03:57	Perform Carpenter
03:57	Readers Digest
03:58	20th Century Masters
03:58	Carpenters Collection (T/L)
03:58	Love Songs
04:09	A&M Gold Series Vol 1
04:09	Horizon LP
04:09	Horizon (Remastered)
04:09	Singles 74-78
04:09	Yesterday Once More-LP (UK)
04:10	Horizon (orig)

For CDs, I've posted the "Last Digit Displayed" on my CD player before it jumps to the next track. In some cases, a song might fade to nothing with a digit or two of silence after it, so a discrepancy of a second or two is probably insignificant. For vinyl, I posted the approximate length, based on listening to the fades on these many discs.

As noted above (by everyone else apparently!), there seem to be three major length edits on this recording. The longest comes in at around 4:10. Though 4:12 is listed on some LPs and CDs, I didn't find anything longer than 4:10. At that point, Karen & Richard are singing "...tears behind me" with the word "me" just about buried as the track fades to nothingness. This version has the chorus with a "raunchier" sounding sax playing during the repeat of the chorus, and Richard fully repeats his low-range "only yesterday" twice - the first stepping down on three notes on the word "yesterday", while on the second he uses the same note on "yes-ter.." and then drops down for "..day". The chorus then continues to the 4:10 point.

The middle length version, coming in at a total of about 3:57 or :58, gets the song to Richard's second "Yes-ter-day" as described above and quickly fades just past it.

The short versions, ranging anywhere from 3:45 to 3:50, do not get to Richard's second "Yes-ter-day." They fade before that point.

Fascinating. If others have yet other albums out there that I've not got (like Japanese GOLD, or other early LP compilations), let us know what lengths are actually on there.

Harry
...always learning something new, online...

After seeing these kinds of posts, they always make me wish for them to be in a small concise little book that I could refer back to when needed.

Nice job Harry, short & to the point. I enjoy seeing these kinds of things broken down like this.

..who wishes Harry would produce & release a paperback book of this kind of stuff about every Carpenters song, online.....:cool:

I think I am going to start printing out the important stuff and file it away in a notebook. The only problem with that is that the entire page doesn't print. About 1 1/2 inches get cut off every time.

Rudy should have a print page option :!:

The only thing I could do is install a "printer friendly" plug-in, which would format the page better for printing. That reduces the topics to text and lines, no graphics. Might be a good addition for the future.

Until Rudy adds any kind of print option, try changing your print option to Landscape. It'll use more pages per thread, but you'll get the whole width of the post to print.

Harry
...with a suggestion that he's found to work, online...

Leandro,

I was never very fond of the OFFERING album. I like ALL OF MY LIFE and EVE in their remixed versions, and those would be the songs to be included in my compilation. But I left them out due to lack of space.

Bruno

I've tried "copying and pasting" and sometimes that, too, will somehow cut off lines at the bottom. Go figure!

Great idea to have Neil do a printer-friendly plug-in. Poor Neil. Like he doesn't have enough to do already!!

Marilyn

At some point Richard needs to release a Complete Singles 2 CD with USA , UK , Japanese , Worldwide Singles included with booket , original sleeve art work, new liner notes etc for fans to complete their collections :o

2 future compilations Richard needs to consider are :

STANDARDS OR AMERICAN STANDARDS ....to include all Carpenters
standards plus some unissued tracks for fans to obtain :)

NEW TREASURES SET (2 CD) ...expand from 1987 set and include more
favourite album tracks and other remixes etc :)

These would be better than standard hits / favs mixed together as with recent compilation releases ..... :?:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom