• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

My letter to Richard (envolving unreleased tracks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarpentersToYou

Somehow you brought the gambler out in me...
The following is a letter I just sent to Richard, What do y'all think?

Hello there.

I am owner of the Carpenters site http://www.TheCarpenters.tk

And I have a few questions...

Richard: The following is a list of "rumoured" UNRELEASED songs. Can you tell us which ones are complete, which ones are work leads, and if you plan on releasing any of them?

All My Life--81
Ain't Misbehavin--83
All The Way--79
All Good Things I Remember--81
And When He Smiles (other than ATGB)
Auld Lang Syne--79
Better World--79
Can't Buy Me Love \
Christmas Alphavet (with Kristie McNichol)
Christmas in Kilarny (with Gene Kelly)
Come And Be Kind--77
Daddy Home
Don't Leave Me
Fallin' For Love--82
Fool Me--82 (Richard Vocal)
For The Minute--77
Funny Faces--79
He Came Here For Me--79
How High The Moon--83 (medley)
Hurting--75
I Believe In You
I Can't Smile--77
I Can't Stay Mad At You--77
I Don't Need You--79 (Kenny Rogers covered this)
I Don't Want My Arms Around You--80 (Richard Vocal)
I Finally Got It Right This Time--77
I'll Be Yours--80
Carpenters / John Denver Medley '76
Just Fall In Love--78
Just Somebody
Last of the Romantics--80
Lately--79
Lord's Prayer--83
Love As Old As The Heart (Richard Vocal)--83
Love Is Coming Back--75
Love Me Like The First Time--79
Love Song--78
Love You Through and Though--82
Mad--79
Magic In The Music--76
Man Smart, Woman Smarter with Suzanne Somers
Once In A Lifetime--81
Play A Simple Melody--80
Peter Pan Moon--80
Rainbows In Your Eyes--79
Real Love--77
Runaway--77
Savin' It Up
Sebastion
Second Thought--77
Sh-Boom
Slaughter On 10th Ave--83
Some Guys Have All The Luck--82
Space Encounters Medley (with John Davidson and Suzanne Somers)
Star Wars--79
Stay Young--77
Stile Nacht with Georgian Engel
Strike Up The Band
Stop Me--82
Sunday Afternoon
Sweet Talkin' Guy--80
Telephone Co. Jingle
Thank You For The Music--79
The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress--80
Try To Win A Friend--75
A Wedding Prayer--83
We Won't Be Back Tomorrow--77
What Are You Doing For Love
Where Is Love--75
Why Don't They Understand
You Made Me Feel Love--80
You're Just In Love (with John Davidson)--83
You'll Never Know--83
Yours Sincerely--79
Karen Carpenter Unreleased Album

Basket Case
All Because Of You
Church Choir (Wild)
Don't Try To Win Me Back
I Do It For Your Love
It's Really You
Jimmy Mack
Keep The Love Light Burning
Love Making Love To You
Midnight
Something's Missing
Truly You

CONCERTS:

- BBC Concert

-Talk of The Town

-Boston Pops

among others

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoperfully those songs brought back some memories. Fans have been wondering for years if they would ever be released?

It would be great to hear completed songs and NEWLY RE-done songs (like you did for "Nowhere Man", "The Rainbow Connection", etc).

Take care!

I could be wrong, but somehow I don't think this will be answered - at least in any detail. With a little bit of guesswork, i think that many of these are either mislabeled tapes or fragments of backing work, perhaps fragments of instrumental backing.

Surely you're aware that "Sh-boom" was one of the live oldies medley tracks. "I Believe In You" is likely a mis-typed "I Believe You". "Star Wars" is probably Richard's piano work for the medley. "Runaway" is part of the live oldies medley. "All My Life" - don't you think that might be "All Of My Life"? "I Can't Smile" has got to be "I Can't Smile Without You" of which we have TWO versions.

I think Richard regrets that that list was ever assembled - and it might be a sore subject for him, since it implies that he's just holding back on a ton of material.

I tend to believe him when he says that the great bulk of the 'good stuff' is already out there. If indeed there's a track or two for a future compilation, I'll be happy.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Actaully, All My Life is NOT All Of My Life. In Yuka's interview with Richard, Richard stated that this might be released someday.

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Here we go...

If I could rifle thru the vaults, closets, cupboards at RC's house I'd probably crap myself. Perhaps completed songs are simply a cornerite's dreams. Now I truly, well okay, hopefully believe that there are lots and lots of leftover ooooh's and aaaah's...backing trax. Knowing me as you do, I'd settle for a burp or two. Gross huh? Well my idea is to capture all indigestion, shooby doo's and lala's and put our resident buddy Chris May to work on a compilation of outtakes aimed specifically at desperate whiners like me AND you.

It's been a long day,

Jeff

Although I don't know about Yuka's interview with Richard in Andrew's post, I saw titles of "All My Life", "All My Tomorrows" and "All of My Life" at Richard's sheet music cabinet in his warehouse on TV.

I'd love to hear "You'll Never Know", "Coming Through The Rye/Good Vibrations" & "True Love" and watch "Grease" medley.

Sakura

Perhaps Sh-boom was recorded for the NOW & THEN album? They must have had lots of other song ideas.

My guess is that I will get a cheesy answer, if any at all.

Hopefully he will get the point that fans know there is more in the vaults and we still care to hear them.

I seriously doubt we'll hear many of the KAREN CARPENTER unreleased tracks, since some of them are totally unlike their Carpenters-esque sound. For example, "Truly You" is a very high-pitched song.

But anything I can get my hand on would make me happy!

Whoops.....here we go again with this Buried Teasure listing.... :rolleyes:

Richard has expressed his displeasure at this list for many years in various interviews & once in a personal meeting -his frustration at numerous copies / queries & outright demands re : various songs & whether releasable.... :mad:

Alex...will be interesting to see Richard's response...however be prepared for :

1.Richard's short but polite non-reply ....along the lines of this is a misleading listing ....most tracks will not be released ....

2. Richard probably wants to keep details on possible tracks that could be issued -a surprise for the future -keeps everyone guessing & provides Richard with various projects / formats as to how these could be released ...and interest for all Carpenterphiles ... :wink:

3.Richard has to date declined to write / compile his own book -even on Carpenters music tracks (Ray Coleman's Bio was 30% Richard quotes & interviews) ...massive detail on these song titles plus other personal archive tracks really require Carpenters Complete Recordings guide ....and sadly Richard has shown no interest in undertaking this project .. :sad:

In terms of some of the songs :

I Believe In You ....is the great Neil Young ballad ...having heard Young perform this live ....I long for Carpenters completed version to be released ...BUT Richard has stated both he & Karen were disappointed by their performance / production ....I cannot imagine it is that bad ....still this is unlikely ever to be released.... :)

Sh-boom is a studio out-take from Now & Then ....not included on 1973 album for some reason ....given Richard's attitude towards oldies ....this too is unlikely for release ....

All My Life is a separate song from MIA sessions -completed and mixed / mastered during As Time Goes By project ....this could be issued....let us hope so ... :confused:

During one Richard meeting ....various tracks were discussed and there are enough completed / quality recordings available for release on another Carpenters studio album & further rarities set .... :o

By coincidence only last week ....I was reading notes compiled after Richard concert in the 1990's with details of various completed tracks ....however to avoid Richard further distress ...will keep these as notes ....

Last thing Richard needs is another batch of e-mails / letters re : these tracks from either browsing guests or long term fans ..... :rolleyes:

Last week requested Richard release several projects ...like Standards album ...with ideally some out-takes & demos as extras for Carpenters collectors ....await Richard's reply... :o

Will be interesting to see Richard's response to Alex 's listing ....and other requests many of us have forwarded to Richard ... :wink:

Peter...Looking Forward.....

Thanks for the support, y'all.

I hope to get a positive reply. I would even settle for "Yes, some of these tracks will indeed be released in the future".

But maybe I'm just wishin' and hopin'!

Take care y'all!

Sakura,
Is "True Love" that old standard?
The one Elton Joh did with Kiki Dee a few years ago?
If it is- WOW! I can only imagine it.
(By the way- Patti Austin and David Pack of Ambrosia do a great version of it on an older Patti album. The one with "I Can Cook Too" and "Mood Indigo". Sorry, cant remember the album title.)

Hi Mark,

Cole Porter's "True Love". I don't know if Richard recorded this song, but he sang at concert. I loved this song. I'd love to listen to it again.

Some of you must hear this song.

Sakura

No offense to anyone here, but I prefer that Richard would do some new music, instead of spending most of his time digging into his old "Carpenters" archives of out-takes and incomplete recordings.

I loved Karen just as much as everyone else here, and someday, listen to these songs, but I prefer to live in the present and look ahead toward the future.

Danny

Hi Danny!

You're of course right, and I think Richard has moved on and looked forward to moderate success, but imagine he had closed the door on Carpenters and Karen after 1983 - we wouldn't have...

Voice Of The Heart
An Old Fashioned Christmas
Lovelines
From The Top (box set)
Karen Carpenter
Trying To Get The Feeling Again (song)
From This Moment On (song)
Essential Collection (box set)
As Time Goes By

and all the remixes, alternate versions that cause so much debate here.

A virtual wealth of unreleased material. I think there's room for both him and Karen's legacy :D

Stephen

Richard has done alot since Karen's passing. In fact he has produced alot of Cd's with other artists. I sure as heck don't want him to stop finding little treasures and release them. I still need the original version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" on CD. :tongue:

Why would we want him to let go of the past when it's the past that got him where he is today. It's not like were stopping him from doing what he wants to do. I can't wait to hear his new Christmas album, too bad it's not till next year.

He seems to be really getting back into the interest of Carpenters & the fans, look at the official website, he's answering questions on the net. How cool is that? A direct link to Richard. :)

Wow that list Stephen, when you put it like that, I can't imagine not having the solo album, From the Top with medley from MMM, Rainbow Connection, Trying to Get the Feeling Again, Japan's Treasures with very cool remixes & so much more. :thumbsup:

Daniel Perales said:
No offense to anyone here, but I prefer that Richard would do some new music, instead of spending most of his time digging into his old "Carpenters" archives of out-takes and incomplete recordings.

I agree with you actually. Not that there haven't been some tracks on the archival releases that I've enjoyed, but most archival releases - by ANY artist - have more of a novelty factor that makes them wildly fascinating listens the first time around and don't make for especially great from-start-to-finish listens afterwards. Alternate versions are great from a completist's point of view, but I've never heard one (by any artist) that I prefer to the original version. So many archival releases would be infinitely better with repeated listens if they just consisted of entirely fresh songs rather than being mixed with alternate versions or demos or what-have-you of songs we're already familiar with. But, for all the countless hundreds of artists of bands I'm crazy about, there's none I'd say I'm obsessed with; Del Amitri's my favorite band of all time, and I certainly wish they'd make more albums, but I really have no interest in seeing A&M releasing every last note they've ever recorded, so my fan worship only goes so far for any artist.

And, as busy as Richard's remained over the last twenty years, I've always found it heartbreaking that he's only released one solo album proper. He's still never done a proper follow-up to Time. As much as I love Karen and as much as I love Carpenters records, I would so, so much rather see him using that time towards putting out a proper follow-up to Time than issuing more archival material.

Jeff F.

I loved the feeling of hearing new things on AS TIME GOES BY. It was just great!

I was too young to appreciate LOVELINES, but that is a great release too! I listen to that more than I would a regular album. Recently I have digged SLOW DANCE!

jfiedler17 said:
Daniel Perales said:

And, as busy as Richard's remained over the last twenty years, I've always found it heartbreaking that he's only released one solo album proper. He's still never done a proper follow-up to Time. As much as I love Karen and as much as I love Carpenters records, I would so, so much rather see him using that time towards putting out a proper follow-up to Time than issuing more archival material.

Jeff F.

Both of you make good points here and I saw an interview with Richard where he said how he would like to move on and leave the Carpenters behind but can't because people keep demanding Carpenters stuff and if they can't leave the Carpenters behind and move on neither can he. Also he makes alot more money reissuing Carpenters material than he could ever hope to on his solo career. It would be nice if he could leave his past behind and look to the future but it ain't gonna happen. I am not entirely sure if Richard is comfortable recording without Karen anyways. :cry:

I say we should keep e-mailing Richard and A&M/UNIVERSAL, especially, for leftover Karen/Richard/Carpenters tracks to be released. They need to know that we are hungry for the music. I don't care if Richard is tired of hearing it! We keep shelling out dollar after dollar for EVERYTHING that is released, greatest hits packages, re-releases, and more, he knows we will buy the product, so lets let him and A&M/Universal know we'd like to have more if it...and within our lifetimes!

enigma said:
jfiedler17 said:
Daniel Perales said:

Jeff F.

Both of you make good points here and I saw an interview with Richard where he said how he would like to move on and leave the Carpenters behind but can't because people keep demanding Carpenters stuff and if they can't leave the Carpenters behind and move on neither can he. Also he makes a lot more money reissuing Carpenters material than he could ever hope to on his solo career. It would be nice if he could leave his past behind and look to the future but it ain't gonna happen. I am not entirely sure if Richard is comfortable recording without Karen anyways. :cry:

It makes me kind of sad, though, because while we are all "Carpenters" fans, it sort of gives Richard the impression that we think he's nothing without Karen by his side. I mean, if they were indeed millions of "Carpenters" fans out there, why didn't a good chunk of them buy his "Time" solo album in support? It's really a good album. It just makes me feel that most of the "Carpenters" fandom is more about Karen Carpenter than for Karen and Richard Carpenter.

Danny

My post was not intended to be a 'demand' in any way, shape or form but to simply let Richard and the label know that we are very much interested in any unreleased Carpenters/Karen Carpenter solo/Richard Carpenter solo music be released. Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers!

I know that you weren't making demands, but if someone wrote something like that to Richard he would take it as a demand.

Yes there are millions of Carpenters fans out there ....this has resulted in huge CD sales since 1980's as many fans have replaced their favourite Studio albums , Live sets & purchased several ( many ? !) compilations over the years .... :D

As regards Richard's solo & production career since Karen's death , really it is a catch 22 situation ....it goes like this :

Some Fans Q....Richard has done a new solo album / produced another vocalist....but of course it is not Carpenters and nothing without Karen ....really it is sad to see such releases ..... :!:

Some Fans Q ...It really is sad to see Richard keep re-issuing Carpenters compilations / Box sets ...remixing / remastering Carpenters tracks ...really Richard should do some solo albums and produce other vocalists .... :)

....back to the first Q.... :wink: and on ...and on .....Richard definitely caught between the devil and the deep blue sea .....TIME & PACC suffered due to limited promotion , most fans being unaware of these releases & Richard not actively promoting either ....his planned Christmas solo album ....could be an annual seller ....it has some wonderful new original songs ....but again both Richard & Universal must promote & support this release to that vast Carpenters audience ....not just the diehards .... :shock:

Some of these fans are the ones who roundly criticise Richard own projects ....endlessly comparing everything to Carpenters music / releases ....while taking a dubious high ground on Karen's solo album ....this should not be compared to Carpenters albums ....but it is OK to compare Richard's work to Carpenters releases ..... :rolleyes:

Richard has put up with these comments, sometimes via letters , e-mails etc ....fortunately Richard has continued with both Carpenters new releases & compilations plus his own songwriting / production work and we all benefit .....

In terms of fans demands ...Richard has accomodated many releases & requests ....but we have to be realistic ....Richard does not own his own record company & both Lovelines / As Time Goes By have suffered terrible neglect by A&M / Polygram & Universal. Why is Richard going to issue another set of unissued material to see it ignored , not promoted or unsupported to that vast Carpenters audience that just needs more awareness ...we are talking about fans from the 1970's / 1980's who have probably only bought compilations and are unaware of newly released material / albums .... :oops:

I do believe there will be more unissued material ....but along the lines of selected / special projects with tracks Richard feels demand release ....rather than whole new albums of rare / unreleased tracks as Richard has done with ATGB, Universal have no real interest in more unissued tracks albums ....so until Richard gains control of his master recordings and can negotiate with another music company ....actively interested / supportive of new albums ....or Richard releases official downloads of rare tracks on Carpenters website ....this is the best we can look forward to ..... :confused:

As Richard nears 60 , the family are growing up ....this may well inspire him to work on more solo projects , write film songs /score films , complete some overdue musicials ( not just the obvious Carpenters songbook or story musical :rolleyes: ) ....the next decade could be the best for Richard's own career ....whilst at the same time preserving & enhancing Carpenters music & legacy ....:cool:

Peter....Looking Forward....

Wait a minute! Do I need clarity? Since 1969 I was under the distinct impression that the group was indeed called KAREN CarpenterS. Case in point, no voice, no work. Sorry Rich, but lil sis carried the ball then and now. Most certainly upon honest reflection RC knows the 411. Karen could do vocal layering in any studio at any time and create the "sound" that RC so proudly, routinely refers to as his own. Not to slight his hand necessarily, no not all really...but c'mon, 150,000,000 albums didn't pop off the shelves due to RC singing I KEPT ON LOVIN' YOU. As I recall the lead vocal and subsequent Wah ah ah ah's took CLOSE TO YOU to #1.

Now let's see who will disagree with me...

Jeff

Richard certainly does not need our clarity ....did he ever .... :?:

Richard & all of us are aware of Karen's unique voice & sound ....Richard himself has described Karen as Carpenters signature .....no more needs to be added there ....:cool:

As far as more material is concerned , that is up to to Richard ....Carpenters provided their trademark / legacy releases 1969-1983 ...and Richard has added some great follow up projects ....while maintaining Carpenters standards....:cool:

Richard & some Universal Execs are well aware of our continuing devotion & support -not least in the millions of dollars profits & songwriting royalties we provide ....in terms of future unissued tracks ....Universal have no interest in whole albums and Richard is concerntrating on his own projects ....that is why having spoken briefly to Richard & various Universal staff ...( projects , new releases etc) there are likely to be occasional special projects with a few favourite unissued tracks ....and not further albums like Lovelines / ATGB ....

Now if Universal changed some of its attitudes , merged again or demerged to become only focused on music ....there could be a complete change ....but while I am hopeful ....one has to be realistic ...about future releases .... :)

Jeff -again from your update -you are suggesting Richard is ONLY DEFINED BY KAREN & LIKEWISE REVERSE FOR KAREN ....that is just too limiting .... :sad:

With the luxury of hindsight ....if both Karen & Richard had released solo albums / projects during the 1970's ...both could have avoided endless comparisions to Carpenters music legacy ..... :o

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom