• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

My letter to Richard (envolving unreleased tracks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giving Karen ALL of the credit for the Carps' success is silly. It was Richard's inventive arrangements and choice of material that put them over the top, along with her voice. They were a TEAM.

As for the "lack of promotion" causing slow sales of newer releases, I hate to be a wet blanket, but all the full page ads in the world wouldn't bring back the Carpenters glory days. Take Elton John: He is a gigantic superstar still today, and he DOES promote his newest albums with tours, TV appearances, interviews, etc. but his records don't sell in the millions anymore. His day as a big record seller is past, just like the Carpenters' is.

I remember seeing John Denver on the Tonight Show one time, and he said he often wondered why he fills arenas, but his new records don't sell like the older ones did. So one night he asked a few fans, "Why don't you buy my new records?"

The answer was, "We already have all the John Denver records we want."

A few comments here.
Ok I think I stated this before but I do favor Karen over Richard and would not own a Carpenter record without Karen on it. It was her voice, personality and musicianship that made me a Carpenters fan. However I must be fair to Richard THE CARPENTERS WERE DEFINED BY kAREN AND RICHARD NOT ONE OR THE OTHER. There was a magic when both siblings recorded together that was absent in eithers solo project(s) and this magic would be absent if Karen or Richard had been solo in the first place. Yes Karen was the star of the duo and Richard acknowledges that but he was also an inticate part of the duo he picked the songs, produced and arranged them and brought the best out of Karen.

When I mention demands I am not necessarily saying Richard we fans demand you release Carpenters material its more what most fans generally favor or want. I believe he gets far more letters/requests/inquiry's about the Carpenters projects than his own projects.

As for the solo Carpenters comparison Karens solo record is not immune from comparison no more than Richards solo records. I do agree that there should not be a comparison in either case but it is enevidable. Why does Richard seemingly suffer more from the comparison than Karen? probably because it is his signature on the Carpenter sound and the fact that he is the one who is still actively recording and in control of the Carpenters legacy.

As far as releasing solo records in the 1970's eliminating or even diminishing comparisons to the Carpenters there would be no escaping comparisions because the Carpenters exploded on the scene with their second album from then on there would always be a comparison.

Karen's warm voice and the uniqueness of Richard's beautiful arrangements made their music unique.
A breath of fresh air in a musically diverse world.
Thank you, Richard, for the music! (Karen, too!)

Not too intense really ...just highlighting the different attitudes / approaches towards unreleased & rare material ....plus some fans issues with Karen & Richard solo material ... :wink:

Actually those fans that suggest certain album / project releases gain Richard's attention ....if we can make a good case ...Richard considers , checks out tracks / recordings & prepares eventually for release ...examples in point .....And When He Smiles , More Music TV Special tracks ....:cool:

Whereas those those fans who demand certain releases , songs etc ....just usually receive a polite brush-off ....especially some who told me they had written to Richard ...along the lines of ...we made you & Karen -now you owe us ...this n' that ....oh yes ....they sadly still exist .... :oops:

In terms of sales , Carpenters not being an active act ...could never match singles / albums chart / sales achievements of 1970's....however multi -millions of new album / compilation CD's have been sold over last 21 years ....:cool:

While Carpenters sets like Lovelines / As Time ...would not equal early studio album sales ....these could be promoted far more readily , with success to achieve Gold / Platinum status ...so both Universal gain sales & profits plus Richard the delight of new sets selling well to wider audience of fans ....everyone gains ...and more new projects could be considered & issued ... :o

Even Karen's solo set plus Richard's 2 solo albums should have achieved Gold sales alone in USA ...nothing compared to Carpenters sales...but a boost to Richard & other solo projects & more success for Universal ...what is the point in issuing new sets ....if that wider audience knows nothing about these releases .... :confused:

Peter

Actually Harry, there is a song called I BELIEVE IN YOU that Sonny&Cher recorded in 1973, that sounds like something the Carpenters would have done....."i believe in you and it carries me through, tomorrow is ok cuz' i got LOVE-TO-DAY! :badteeth:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom