My Review of Herb and Lani in Kansas City Last Night

Can you describe what you meant by Herb having memory problems? He's quite often gotten things slightly wrong in many interviews over the years, but then the events he's discussing are nearly 60 years ago! I remember at one point when we saw him (maybe 5 or 6 years ago) he mentioned "Mexican Shuffle" being on the Whipped Cream album and Lani corrected him to South of the Border.

But of course he's not getting any younger!

Can you describe what you meant by Herb having memory problems? He's quite often gotten things slightly wrong in many interviews over the years, but then the events he's discussing are nearly 60 years ago! I remember at one point when we saw him (maybe 5 or 6 years ago) he mentioned "Mexican Shuffle" being on the Whipped Cream album and Lani corrected him to South of the Border.

But of course he's not getting any younger!

Sure. There were several periods, one of which was especially long, where he couldn't remember basic words. This wasn't something like an album, it would be like the word for album. Lani had to help several times.

Regarding Lani, when Herb received that thunderous first standing ovation, the look of happiness on her face for her husband was really something.

Like Rudy, I give credit Herb a lot of credit at all for going out on the road like he cdoes at his age! He definitely shows that he is not going gently into the good night anytime soon! I might go see him and Lani at their residency at The Cafe Carlyle in November(my friend says that he plans to go). Also, I have read interviews with Herb in previous years where he has gotten things wrong; for example, he said that his TV specials from the 60s were produced by NBC whereas the first two(The Singer special and The Beat Of The Brass) were produced originally by CBS! The Brass Are Comin' was produced by NBC, though. But that's just one example and like Mike B said, he isn't getting any younger!

Back
Top Bottom