🎵 12" SotW "Nadia's Theme Promotional EP", Barry DeVorzon & Perry Botkin, Jr. - SP 3412

JH12"fanatic

Behind The Grooves
This rare 12" EP (SP-3412) was sent to radio to promote the multi-artist "Nadia's Theme" LP. This featured the four cuts on the album by DeVorzon & Botkin, (with one side in stereo, the flipside in mono) including the title hit single that was used by ABC Sports in film montages of the then 14-year old Romanian gymnast Nadia Comăneci, shown during the 1976 Summer Olympics. "Nadia's Theme" was originally titled "Cotton's Dream" and released in 1971 on the film soundtrack to "Bless The Beasts And Children", along with the other three songs included on this compilation. After Comăneci's triumphant gold medal wins, A&M Records hastily assembled an album around the single now retitled "Nadia's Theme". The song was and still is being used as the theme for the long running soap opera "The Young And The Restless". "Nadia's Theme" peaked at #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 in December of 1976.

The EP was packaged in a sleeve with similiar text and graphics to the original 45 release (which featured a picture sleeve with a charcoal pencil drawing of Comăneci against either a blue or green background) but has a grey background like the LP.

nadia EP.jpg

Good catch--that's a rare one! I remember that theme coming up constantly during those Olympics. We were actually leaving Montreal on the Saturday before those Olympics started that year; the traffic was a steady stream heading east on the 401 through Ontario. Somewhere I still have the red and white sweatshirt. :D

Thank you! I was lucky enough to find this online from a seller in Chicago. Very nice copy in great condition. It's difficult to find the jackets without ringwear on them because they're the ones that are made of recycled paperboard with the cover slicks pasted over them. They're also very susceptible to stains and water damage.

The other thing that is noteworthy about this record is that strangely enough, the catalog number for this promo is exactly the same as for the commercially released LP. Though the label has a few extra letters and numbers to distinguish the two, it would be quite easy to get the two confused, since even the jackets look almost the same.

I noticed that also--the numbering wasn't in the set used for promo releases. I wonder if there are others numbered like this.

I wonder too. Since this release is right at the beginning of A&M releasing 12" singles, maybe they hadn't yet established the SP-12000 or 17000 series for that configuration.

I had a set of A&M discography books, but they are packed away right now. The books have just basic listings: artist, album title, catalog number and year. A few of our other cohorts here may be able to look it up for us.

I don't have the 12", but I do have the album from which it's taken. That album contains the first release version of "Emmanuel" by Michel Colombier that was updated on the later release of his WINGS album.

Harry

So we're going to include the 3400 (and presumably 3300) EPs in our SOTW/EPOTW? Awesome! Lots to come then!

Yep, all 12" and EPs (especially promos) are fair game.

I owned acopy of the lp comp Sp3412? Hope i got the#right igot my copy in 1984 . Its a shame that it has not been on cd that would surely be a blast.considering most of the songs on the lp are either out of print. If not all. But as with many fine A&m comps. I could not get enough of it at the time i was 17. And i was just beginning to really make a dent in my A&M collection., OH WHAT SWEET WONDERFUL MEMORIES THIS MUSIC BRINGS!!!!!!! its well worth your time getting yourself a copy and one of the songs featured is feelings by ukulele artist herb ohta ( ohta san) ifinally scored a copy of that particular 1975 lp in2009. In excellent condition also well worth seeking after too I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. BOTH. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME.

Now that I'm back from Afghanistan I think it's time to get the 12" Single/EP (17xxx/12xxx, 33xx/34xx) threads going again...

--Mr Bill

Back
Top Bottom