• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Name that (hypothetical) TJB box set!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Let's come up with imaginative titles for a possible TJB box set. As always, THERE IS NO REAL BOX SET in the works that I know of, this is just an experiment to see what we might come up with. (And who knows, maybe someone who "counts" might read some of these ideas and adapt it for actual use!)

Fire away....I'm still thinking about my own entry(s).

THE COMPLETE AND EXHAUSTIVE HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS.

How's that for wishful thinking!?

Or there's FROM BRASS TO... oh never mind.

Harry
...titling, online...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I thought of that! (Actually was going to say "anything BUT that!") But then I decided to see if anyone else would come up with it. Didn't take long! :laugh: :laugh:

The current trend in titles is to exploit a famous song or album title. Something along the lines of "The Beat Of The Brass: The TJB Collection". I could do countless titles in that theme, but I know we can be more imaginative than that. Even something as far fetched as this:

If It Weren't For Us, There Would Be No Spirits & Worm: The Collected Works of the TIjuana Brass :laugh: :winkgrin:

It's About Time! The TJB Buy-It-Before-It's-Gone Box Set

Don't forget...Herb doesn't own the label...meaning the 20-somethings in Universal's marketing department will have input. Likely resulting in a title like:

"Big Brass Ones"

:scared:

---Michael Hagerty

A. Horn A Plenty (?)

B. My Abstract Horn (?)

C. Here Come the Brass Again (?)

D. Give up, Jon, and go back to your career as a flight attendant (?)

Jon

...whose titles aren't worth a hill of Mexican Jumping Beans, online... :tongue:

It's Only Plumbing: The Sounds of H.A. & The TJB

Brass Tubes and Spit Valves: The TJB Exposed

The Boy from Fairfax: The History of TJB In Music

SEE IT IN SOUND!!! (Ooops, that's Esquivel.)

Naked Women Inside! Free Peep Shows!! (Ooops...sorry... :wink: But at least it would SELL, wouldn't it? :D )

My picks:

A) Dore Who??? -- Herb Alpert and the TJB Complete

B) Tin, Brass, Gold & Platinum -- The Complete Herb Alpert 1959-2003

C) Bulls, Taxis, Fleas, Gum, Dessert Toppings and One-Eyed Sailors -- Herb Alpert and the TJB Complete, 1962-1984

D) Horn of Plenty -- The Complete Herb Alpert, 1959-2003

Obviuosly I'm playing with different options here -- TJB only era and complete Herb. I'd prefer the COMPLETE (including the novelty stuff that pre-dated the TJB and the Dore material as well) over only TJB or only Herb solo.

--Mr Bill

If I had to guess, my money would be on a TJB or solo-era-only box set. Too large, and the public won't buy it...especially if it goes beyond four CDs. I would not be adverse to buying TWO box sets, however. :wink:

My next title:

"Herb Alpert & The TJB, Remastered To SACD So The Bonehead Mastering Engineers (Yes, That Means You, Rick Astley) At Univer$al Don't F*** Up The Sound With No-Noise And Brick-Wall Compression Like Everything Else They Touch!!"

Mr Bill said:
D) Horn of Plenty -- The Complete Herb Alpert, 1959-2003

I'd prefer the COMPLETE (including the novelty stuff that pre-dated the TJB and the Dore material as well) over only TJB or only Herb solo.

That would really be a huge set, considering the large number of solo albums that Herb did. It would have to be VERY expensive. But I'd find a way to buy it!

Harry
...where do I sign up?, online...

What would be neat in a "complete" set such as this one: a box set similar to some of the Japanese sets where the discs come in mini LP jackets with all the original artwork. I'm not a fan of that type of packaging, but for a box set, it would probably be the best way to package it, especially with so many discs. I would hope for hybrid SACD discs...which would give me the option to copy the CD layer to recordables so I don't have to take the originals in the car our outdoors in the portables.

Sets that preserve (the original sound via flat transfers, the original artwork, etc.) would have the most value to me. It's one thing to have music on shiny new discs, but entirely another to actually create a representation of the original, preserving as much as possible, since our memories go beyond just the music on the disc. :)

...so that leads to the title I forgot to post:

"Bittersweet Preserves: The Complete TJB Box Set" :D

Though this would never actually be chosen-it's too dry-I'd like to see the title MY OTHER DELIGHTS simply in the same font used on "Whipped Cream" with one of those head shots of Herb in the tux and a bit of his horn. Mac

How about "Kiss My Brass" with a new shot of Delores Errikson's backside covered with jam?

ps "horn of plenty" was done by al hirt back in the sixties i think.

"Tarnished Brass"
"Molten Brass"
"The Age of Brass"
"Vintage Brass"
Wait a minute, I think I got it..."Brass Reflections"

OK..so I'm not having a creative week!

jimac51 said:
I'd like to see the title MY OTHER DELIGHTS simply in the same font used on "Whipped Cream" with one of those head shots of Herb in the tux and a bit of his horn.

That's not a bad idea, Mac! I think it would be a great title for a package of B-sides, rarities, live takes and singles-only releases; naturally with detailed liner notes by Herb on why each was recorded (and where for the live cuts), why it was never released, etc, etc...

--Mr Bill

The way it looks now- it should be called the "When Hell Freezes Over" set. I really think now it may never happen. Herb sure does not need the money (and hassle), and maybe he feels "what is out there is out there, so be it". :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom