• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

NAPSTER is back- but NO Herb Alpert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

I downloaded the new Napster software and it looks promising- but right off the bat I see Herb Alpert has nothing there- Burt Bacharach has a ton though. Wonder why?

Tons of Carpenters stuff too- but they charge 9.95 per month and I'm still trying to figure out the whole deal- apparently they charge for some stuff differently. I'll keep studying it out.

The new Napster is just that: new. It's going to take time for them to build up a good library.

Good guess on Herb: he owns his masters, not the record label...so it would be up to him to decide to lease the tunes to the download services.

Maybe Herb's going to come out with SACDs. However with the condition of the tapes, I wonder if that's possible.

SACDs are possible from any source...if anything, DSD will preserve everything that's there, and allows downsampling to other digital formats without loss. Even if the sources aren't perfect, it's the closest we'd ever get to hearing the master tapes in our own systems. :)

If it's going to be a "one time" remastering, I'd say get it released on SACD. Who knows if CD will last more than a few more years? Will we be looking for something better sounding five years from now? At least this would carry us into the future. And having them be "hybrid" would ensure we could play them today on standard CD players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom