• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

National Anthem Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringves

Were the Carpenters ever asked to perform the US national anthem at a public event - perhaps a sporting event?

If so, it would be fascinating to know more details.

I don't know about The Carpenters, but Herb Alpert perfomed it at the Super Bowl in San Diego several years ago. He also did America The Beautiful on a super bowl eve TV special from Miami and also on his Symphony Tour.

I've never heard of a Carpenters performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner", but, if you can believe it, my favorite Irish group, The Corrs, came VERY close to doing the song.

The Corrs were asked to sing our national anthem before a crowd of 30,000 people at an exhibition game of American football between the Steelers and the Bears, to be played at Croke Park in Dublin, Ireland back in 1997.

The Corrs rehearsed their own folky arrangement of the song, but at the required moment, the microphones and the sound system failed, preventing them from doing the song.

This event is documented in an old TV documentary of the group called THE RIGHT TIME. There's a scene showing them rehearsing the song just before the game, where the viewer gets to hear a few snippets of the song as it would have sounded.

Harry
...noting that Andrea Corr had no trouble hitting the high note on "...the land of the free...", online...

By the way, the Steelers won that game, 30-17

A few years ago Rush Limbaugh described being at the Super Bowl, and described a performance by Herb Alpert playing the Star Spangled Banner. He says at the end a formation of Military jets flew overhead in formation as Herb hit the last note! I got goosebumps hearing this. Is this available on VHS or DVD?

It was in January 1988. I remember it well. I'd just flown in from the Phillipines heading back home to San Dige and stopped at some store to look at some TVs. I had no interest in the Superbowl (I was deprived of the "sports gene" but remained hetero for whatever reason) but it was on all the TVs and the announcer said, "And now, America's favorite trumpet player..." and I thought, "oh great, another gig for Doc Severinson! Why not Herb Alpert?" At which point the announcer continued, "Herb Alpert!" It was awesome even on TV. Made me wish I'd seen it in person! I do have it on tape somewhere in my collection, courtesy of a friend who tapes games for whatever reason...

--Mr Bill

Here's a short excerpt from a Pete Rozelle story at the N.F.L.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9057144

I always was involved in our plans for pregame and halftime festivities because it seemed important to me that we make the entire event very special. But I usually let other people pick the person or people who would do The National Anthem. The one time I insisted on an anthem person was at game XXII when I wanted Herb Alpert to do a "pure" horn version.

Yes, that's something I'd also like to know...I can't imagine much worse playing conditions than a venue like that.

I am pretty sure that professional players who have a reputation like Herb Alpert and others of his stature would want to exercise very careful control over the sound that is heard publicly. No matter how good you are, there is still the element of poor outdoor acoustical conditions, noise, difficulty controlling tone quality, etc. It wouldn't do to sound "crappy," even though the circumstances would be difficult to achieve the best sound.

It may not be as true for some of these other so-called celebrities that perform halftime shows because they are not so much known for musical quality. As long as they look good, the sound may not matter much. And, I am sure much of it is pre-recorded anyway.

So, how did it sound? And, did he give it any characteristic styling? Herb plays songs in his own way, as is well-known...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom