• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Need Help ID-ing Albums!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camilla Conde

Hi all! First post here. I have several Carpenters Albums I have ordered from Japan that I have been unable to ID (missing dates, etc). Wondering if any of you have any info, given they do not seem to be listed in the discography section of this website.

Also wondering if anyone has any info about where to buy some rare albums on LP. Some I have in mind are:
The Carpenters Collection, 1973 UK release
Carpenters A&M Gold Release (1&2)
Carpenters The Greatest Hits Of Carpenters (Japan)
Carpenters Anthology (Japan)
I've found them in one place or another, but am trying not to completely break the bank!

Thanks in advance!

they do not seem to be listed in the discography section of this website.

There is a reason for this. Our Resource specializes in identifying the various remixes that have been issued over the years, and mostly focuses on the CD age.

As evidenced right here in this thread, there were many, MANY LP compilations of Carpenters material over the years, particularly in Japan and other parts of the word, and one thing inherent in virtually ALL of these LPs is that they use original mixes. The beginning of the CD age, starting in around 1984, is when Richard started tinkering with the mixes of Carpenters songs, so we haven't made any efforts in obtaining older LP compilations. There were only a few songs tinkered with in those LP days. You might find the single remix of "Top Of The World" or the updated remix of "Ticket To Ride" if they were done past 1973. And you might find the odd single mix on one of these, but by and large, these are all original mixes of one type or another.

Harry

Thank you for the help with the pictures, theninjarabbit.
Harry-- anywhere to find a comprehensive list of these compilations? There sure are a lot online. I'm hoping to own every single one one day.. but may be impossible.
Just had the Stereo Lab #19 Carpenters come in.

Camilla

I don't really have an answer for your questions but when I saw those album covers it reminded me that there are quite a few pages of these album compilation covers in the Mook book there featured in the chronological order section in both b&w and color.

The Mook is a 170 page magazine of color and b/w photos of basically the entire Carpenters career in music. It also contains some info on Karen's solo album and photos. It was put together I believe in 1996 by Yuko Ogura, her name then. Richard wrote a handwritten letter inserted into the last page of the book endorsing the contents and saying that he was apart of the making of "The Mook" in contributing the history and facts. The name Mook is Japanese for book/magazine hence the name. I've never seen a book quite like this before, Richard said it's meant for "Carpenterphiles" and archivists.

There are many articles and interviews of Richard and John Bettis, unfortunately it's mostly in Japanese text. It also contains a couple pages of the Buried Treasure lists and a section of songs the Carpenters were suppose to have recorded (in English). It took me a long time to find the book and I paid a lot for it, I actually ordered 2 because one was coming over from Japan and I was so afraid that it would be lost in transit that at the same time another one popped up on ebay and I bought it but both of them I paid a lot of money for. I gave one away to another Carpenters fan recently who did something very special for me.

Here is a link of the cover that I posted on another thread here, the back cover (not often seen) has this wonderful full page ad for the concert Live at Budokan 1974.

ICON (New CD Release)

Last edited:
The Mook is a 170 page magazine of color and b/w photos of basically the entire Carpenters career in music. It also contains some info on Karen's solo album and photos. It was put together I believe in 1996 by Yuko Ogura, her name then. Richard wrote a handwritten letter inserted into the last page of the book endorsing the contents and saying that he was apart of the making of "The Mook" in contributing the history and facts. The name Mook is Japanese for book/magazine hence the name. I've never seen a book quite like this before, Richard said it's meant for "Carpenterphiles" and archivists.

There are many articles and interviews of Richard and John Bettis, unfortunately it's mostly in Japanese text. It also contains a couple pages of the Buried Treasure lists and a section of songs the Carpenters were suppose to have recorded (in English). It took me a long time to find the book and I paid a lot for it, I actually ordered 2 because one was coming over from Japan and I was so afraid that it would be lost in transit that at the same time another one popped up on ebay and I bought it but both of them I paid a lot of money for. I gave one away to another Carpenters fan recently who did something very special for me.

Here is a link of the cover that I posted on another thread here, the back cover (not often seen) has this wonderful full page ad for the concert Live at Budokan 1974.

ICON (New CD Release)
Just looked it up and it seems amazing. Found some other "Mooks" but not that one, and you're right... they're quite expensive. Really can't afford one right now, but I'll keep my eyes open and save up. Now I won't be able to get it out of my head!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom